Winter Meetings / Hot Stove League thread

sppunk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rangers pushed again on both Barry Zito and A.J. Burnett on Monday, but may have to settle for Adam Eaton and Matt Morris. All four pitchers were prime topics of conversations for the Rangers during the first day of the baseball winter meetings, according to major league officials. The Rangers also re-focused their bullpen efforts on Braden Looper and Octavio Dotel; expressed interest in free agent outfielders Reggie Sanders, Preston Wilson and Juan Encarnacion.

-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

There also is a buzz circulating that former GM Theo Epstein may be returning to Boston.

-- New York Post

Per rotoworld:

According to an XM Radio report, the Padres and Rangers are close to a trade that would send Adam Eaton to Texas for Gerald Laird.

The rumored deal that the Rangers backed out on last month included Adrian Gonzalez along with Laird. Unless Gonzalez is also involved, we don't like this for the Padres, and we think Laird can be a decent regular. What this does to the proposed Doug Mirabelli-for-Mark Loretta deal with the Red Sox is unclear. The Padres can't give up this much talent for catching help.

Also:

Casey to Pirates

By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff

The buzz in the lobby is that the Cincinnati Reds are sending first baseman Sean Casey to Pittsburgh for right-handed pitcher Dave Williams. The deal could be announced later on tonight.

Hey, Grady’s walking right be me, on his way to be introduced as the next manager of the Dodgers.

Most of the Red Sox time today spent was spent on trying to deal David Wells.

Just shook hands with Padres manager Bruce Bochy … gotta go… more later.

And John Olerude just announced his retirement.

I think they offered him a few weeks back.

Im hearing that Gerald Laird for Adam Eaton is getting very close to getting done.

Sean Casey for Pirates lefty, Williams is done.

Juan Pierre for Jon Danks? Ive heard this one.

Alfonso Soriano to the Dodgers for top prospect Jonathan Broxton.

Kris Benson to the Royals for Jeremy Affledet and Mike McDougal.

Originally posted by Twentytwo

Alfonso Soriano to the Dodgers for top prospect Jonathan Broxton.

That wouldn't be a bad trade in my opinion...they would get rid of tons of salary. Even though Soriano has played well, I think DeRosa performed well enough this past season when he played to go ahead and make this move.

Originally posted by sppunk
Originally posted by YosemiteSam

Why, would you have a problem with Soriano at 2B?

Because he is a defensive liability I don't want to watch/mess with day-in and day-out.

Of course, I'd rather have a pitcher that will win more games than he loses than a 2B that can't hit lefties or anything with an arc to it.

Soriano made 21 errors in 753 chances, I agree it needs improvement. Renteria, Red Sox shortstop, made 30 errors in 655 chances. Ouch! I would rather have Soriano's 36 HR's and 104 RBI's and 125 strikeouts, than Renteria's 8 HR's and 70 RBI's and 100 strikeouts. Give me Soriano at 2B and a good defensive shortstop over Renteria and any of that other baggage the Red Sox play at 2B.

More on the prospective Renteria to Braves deal from rotoworld:

The Red Sox, Braves and Rays are reportedly discussing a three-team deal that would send Edgar Renteria to Atlanta, Andy Marte to Tampa Bay and Julio Lugo to Boston.

I will stab someone if this happens.

The Braves will come out of this smelling like roses. I know you all will think Im crazy but Rentaria is not done. Lugo isnt all he's built up to be, and I know very little about Marte except that he hasnt done half of what Edgar has.

I also know he is about 10 years younger too.

A few nuggets to start of the early day (which looks to be very, very wild):

ESPN Insider Gammons is reporting that the Mets have agreed to trade Kris Benson to KC for Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal. (Boy, Anna Benson's gonna hate moving from NYC to KC!!)

Metsblog.com has been pretty reliable and on top of things through the meetings, and is saying Minaya has requested to speak directly with Zito. I guess this assumes a deal has been struck with Beane, who apparently left Dallas for some reason.

Someone earlier wanted some Houston info. Well, here ya go!!!

Bob Picozzi on ESPN Radio announced about an hour ago that the Astros don't plan to offer Clemens arbitration by then meaning they won't be able to resign him until May 1.

In their never ending quest to get to a $10M payroll:

The Florida Marlins have tentatively agreed on a four-player deal that would send Juan Pierre to the Chicago Cubs, for three young pitchers -- Sergio Mitre and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported early Wednesday.

--

Seriously, MLB has to step in. It ought to be illegal to knowingly throw away competitive advantages.

They are liquidating to prepare for an imminent move to either San Antonio, Las Vegas, or Portland...I really see nothing wrong with it. Just playing local politics.

BTW I think DeRosa has a shot at being really good. Laugh at me all you want but he has the ability to be a great player.

Per WEEI radio, Boston backup catcher Doug Mirabelli is officially traded to SD for second baseman Mark Loretta.

Great deal for Boston.

In other news, Texas has offered Soriano to every one imaginable, and is only asking for one prospect. And, of course, no one wants Soriano. - per both Gammons and Ravich.

I'm glad Boston's staying faaaaaaaaar away from Soriano ...