Poor Rangers

sppunk

It can't be a good sign when, a month into your new job, folks are already beginning to compare you to Chuck Lamar:

There might have been more grumbling about new Texas GM Jon Daniels from his fellow GMs than we've heard since Chuck LaMar ran the show in Tampa Bay. Daniels overpriced his most attractive commodity. And then, when he dealt his other big chip, Alfonso Soriano, he got a package back that included no big league-ready starting pitchers. There was immediate talk that Texas would deal away Brad Wilkerson, obtained in that deal, for pitching. But the price tag on him might scare more clubs away. "Unless they can flip those guys for pitching, that deal makes no sense," said one assistant GM. "And I wouldn't trade Soriano in the first place. Wilkerson [and the second player] Terrmel Sledge could play for a lonnngggg time and never put up the numbers Soriano does. He's an underrated guy for me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2253019

Interesting in a way. You would think that other GM's who apparently think Daniels made a mistake with the trade would begin to call him seeking trades too. And if I were another GM who thought Daniels made a bad trade, I wouldn't tell the press about it, but I would give Daniels a call and try to make a trade with him.

I really think Soriano's trade had little to do with talent but more with dumping his salary.

Yes, the Rangers needed to dumb his salary. But his value is WAY too high to just dump him for the first deal that came along. I've got to believe that Daniels has something else up his sleeve......PLEASE tell me he does. If not, :coocoo::coocoo:

first of all, this deal was not the first one that came around........it was the one that made the most sense......other teams like the dodgers just wanted to trade one player for him......dodgers wanted to trade jonathan broxton for sori......sure, it wasnt a GREAT trade for the rangers....it does free up a little extra room in the money department plus we now have a surplus of outfielders.......more than likely, one of those outfielders is going to be traded for pitching.......plus were still in hot pursuit of matt morris