Rangers acquire Vincente Padilla from Phillies

lobo4life

for a player to be named later.

Texas acquires Padilla from Phillies

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

The Texas Rangers have acquired right-handed starter Vicente Padilla from the Philadelphia Phillies in a trade for a player to be named, baseball sources told ESPN.com. The deal is contingent on Padilla passing a physical exam with the Rangers.

Padilla, 28, has a 51-51 record with a 3.95 ERA in seven seasons with Philadelphia and Arizona. He came to the Phillies with Omar Daal, Travis Lee and Nelson Figueroa in a trade for Curt Schilling in July 2000, and posted back-to-back 14-win, 200-inning seasons in 2002-2003.

Padilla slipped to 16-18 the past two seasons, and new Phillies general manager Pat Gillick had been actively shopping him this winter. Padilla earned $3.2 million last year and is eligible for salary arbitration.

The Rangers, who traded Chan Ho Park to San Diego for Phil Nevin in July and let Kenny Rogers leave through free agency, have been in the market for veteran starting pitching to complement Chris Young and Kameron Loe in the rotation.

Texas made an early run at A.J. Burnett and offered Matt Morris a three-year deal for about $25 million before he opted to sign with San Francisco. The Rangers have also pursued Josh Beckett, Adam Eaton and Miguel Batista in trades.

Originally posted by cheaptrick77

Padilla is the second-winningest Nicaraguan-born pitcher in MLB history:

1. Dennis Martinez, 245

2. Vicente Padilla, 51

3. Albert (DeSouza) Williams, 35

4. Porfi Altamirano, 7

5. Oswaldo Mairena, 2

Where did those last three come from, a bull fight ring !!:whome:

Guest CNOrtega

It really depends on who the "player to be named" is. If it's a Wilkerson or a Sledge, fine. If it's a Nix or a Mench, there should have been another player involved along with it on the Phillies' side. If it's a Danks or Diamond, I'm officially going to jump off the top of the Ameriquest bell.

Originally posted by CNOrtega

It really depends on who the "player to be named" is. If it's a Wilkerson or a Sledge, fine. If it's a Nix or a Mench, there should have been another player involved along with it on the Phillies' side. If it's a Danks or Diamond, I'm officially going to jump off the top of the Ameriquest bell.

If you think they would do that you're crazy.

The player to be named looks like it's between Ricardo Rodriguez and some really young Domincan infielder.

Originally posted by Aggie2008

Usually these 'player to be named later' trades end up being low-level minor leaguers....like Danks or Diamond...

Danks and Diamond are not in the low-level minors, both are very close to being major league ready. It will be someone in the lower minors that we've probably never heard of.

Originally posted by ramsn03

Just saw where the Phillies chose Ricardo Rodriguez to complete this deal.

Yep:

Phillies complete Padilla trade, get right-hander

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies completed last week's trade of pitcher Vicente Padilla by acquiring right-handed pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez from the Texas Rangers on Monday.

The 27-year-old Rodriguez went 2-3 with a 5.53 ERA in 12 games for the Rangers last season, starting 10 games. He was 7-3 with a 2.91 ERA in 13 games for Triple-A Oklahoma, starting 12 games and pitching two shutouts.

"We're trying to add more depth to our pitching staff and give Charlie more people to look at in spring training," said Phillies general manager Pat Gillick, referring to manager Charlie Manuel.

Padilla, an All-Star in 2002, went 9-12 with a 4.71 ERA in 27 starts last season for Philadelphia.

Originally posted by Twentytwo

Ricardo will probably blossom if Philly. I thought we were giving up an A ball prospect.

I seriously doubt it, Phillly is more of a hitters park than Arlington. Rodriguez started a game after the All- Star Break last year against Oakland that I was at. Everyone was dodging rockets off of Oakland's bats in the stands he gave up 4 Home Runs in 2 1/3.

At some point, Rodriguez is going to blossom....he's got too much talent not to. I'm just disappointed that the Rangers weren't patient enough.

Padilla better be good to make me feel good about this one.

Padilla (28) is a year older than Rodriguez (27), Padilla is 51-51 career with a 3.95 ERA, which believe it or not is on par with A.J. Burnett 49-50 with a 3.73 ERA in a much more pitcher friendly park. Rodriguez is 10-15 with a career 5.18 ERA he should be more consistent by now. This was a good move.