DAMON, YANKEES AGREE TO FOUR-YEAR CONTRACT

chase.colston

Lofton and womack were brought in to be a traditional lead-off hitter for the Yankees. After a while they were batted 9th and eventually vanished to the bench.

Damon will not be benched the whole season like those two did, but expect him to be batting 9th during the season after he goes into a slump.

Torre is too loyal to some players and it wouldn;t surprise me to see him bat Jeter lead-off cause Jeter did such a great job in 2005. :sorcerer:

Im not anti long hair. Ive always sported long hair, not Johnny long but long.

I just love the business approach in NY. I love this signing.

Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever

Too bad the Yankees don't wear navy.

Close enough. lol.

What exactly is the color?

Good luck on all that, Mantle. I know you are no fan of this deal, so I won't preach to the choir with you.

He signed essentially the same deal that Pedro got (4/53). If the Sox wouldn't open the wallets for Pedro Martinez then they sure as hell aren't ever going to give Johnny Damon, who is about 2/3 as talented and valuable as Pedro, that kind of cash. I hear the Yankees even gave him a no-trade... which makes the deal even more valuable than 4/52.

On thing I find hilarious: All through November and early December, Olney, Bowa and the NYY fandom was all, "DON'T GET DAMON!" Now that's all changed. I never wanted him to resign.

It'll be bad for Jeter to have to cover the entire outfield, which is quite possibly the worst defensive outfield in baseball now (and Damon has a weaker arm than BERNIE WILLIAMS!!! of all people).

Boston will end up w/ young Jeremy Reed in CF, which I'll love. We've gotten seven of the top 15 prospects while staying competitive, and come 2007, Boston will be loaded w/ 26-year-old All Stars.

Shifting gears a bit, but could the Yankees be any less creative in the way they build a team? The lineup looks like an All Star team, but it's just the most expensive guy they could find at every position. Is that really any fun? I know, I know...winning is the only thing that matters; but I'm not sure how one can get much joy out of watching that kind of team.

Are you serious? Did you not see the Red Sox lineup last year. It is the same way. Or was. Just because we got Damon you turn your back on him. I knew you would come out like this.

And I dont know about 7 of the top 15, probably not even close, but there is alot of good young talent.

Originally posted by Twentytwo

Are you serious? Did you not see the Red Sox lineup last year. It is the same way. Or was. Just because we got Damon you turn your back on him. I knew you would come out like this.

I never wanted Boston to sign a liability for ANYTHING more than 4/$40m, and thank God they stuck to their guns.

The worst thing you can do is overpay for talent - ask Cashman int he past five years about that. I thought they'd started to right the ship, but then they go give a man with no shoulder 4/$52m.

I will give you that. I admire them for standing at 4 years 40 million. I honestly thought he would remain with the Red Sox in the end for 4 yrs 40 mil and maybe a mutual option for the fifth year. But I dont agree with you bashing the Yankees for spending money. The Red Sox do the same thing, although they now have the best core of young guys in baseball.

If the Red Sox and Yankees werent bitter rivals, I'd be a big BoSox fan, just because I love young teams.

BP's (Joe Sheehan) take on Damon leaving for the MFY ..

The Red Sox could actually end up huge winners here. There’s a rumor making the rounds that they’re trying to deal Matt Clement to the Mariners for Jeremy Reed. If they can do that, they will have replaced Damon with, essentially, a Damon Starter Kit, complete with functional arm and 25-year-old legs, and saved $20 million a year in the process. The Sox may feel they don’t have the rotation depth to make a deal like this, but the available pool of pitchers is deeper than the available pool of center fielders, and the cost savings could go a long way come midseason. If they get Reed, they’ll never miss Damon.

How will we recognize Johnny when he comes to bat for the first time? No long hair .... no full beard? :smile2:

Oh yeah, he'll be getting on base A LOT .... and making those nice long running catches in center field!!!

Having said that, I'm still worried about the Yankees' pitching staff, especially the starters. They need to meet some needs in that area before spring training.