RANGERS OFFER MILLWOOD THREE-YEAR/$30 MILLION

chase.colston

Posted on www.dallasnews.com at 12:41 p.m. today.

By EVAN GRANT and RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

Having already engaged in the recruiting visit phase, the Rangers took the next step in the pursuit of Kevin Millwood Thursday.

Betting that the market for Millwood has started anew, the Rangers made Millwood a three-year offer worth more than $30 million, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels declined to comment on negotiations with Millwood and agent Scott Boras, who visited with the Rangers on Tuesday and Wednesday. Boras indicated the visit with the Rangers was positive but declined further comment.

The next step in the Millwood talks is to determine the exact market. It appears that the four-year, $44 million offer Millwood reportedly received earlier from Seattle has dissipated because Seattle signed Jarrod Washburn. Although other teams, particularly Boston, are interested in Millwood, it's unclear if anybody has discussed parameters similar to the reported Seattle offer.

Millwood and Boras have also had conversations with Baltimore and are expected to meet with Red Sox officials on Friday. After losing outfielder Johnny Damon to the archrival New York Yankees earlier this week, the Red Sox may have more money to spend on pitching and may be more desperate to keep pace with the Yankees.

Boras is probably shooting for a five-year deal for Millwood, who won the AL ERA title in 2005 with Cleveland. The precedent would be A.J. Burnett, who received a five-year, $55 million deal from Toronto earlier this month despite a career record of 49-50.

Millwood, who turns 31 on Saturday, has a much longer track record of success than Burnett, but concerns over the potential for shoulder and elbow injuries make him risky in some clubs' opinions. Last year, Millwood took a one-year deal with Cleveland that included some shared risk in case Millwood missed significant time because of specific arm problems.

If the bidding does reach five guaranteed years, the Rangers probably will fall from consideration. In the wake of the failed five-year, $65 million Chan Ho Park experiment, team owner Tom Hicks has said the Rangers would no longer extend five-year offers to pitchers.

I am so tired of hearing about David Wells....he needs to retire and go away.

I don't like Boras one little bit, but I think Millwood would be a great signing at this point. I'm all for it and I think the offer is a fair one.

If the Rangers have a rotation of Millwood, Padilla, Eaton, Kameron Loe and Juan Dominguez, I think the Rangers have a ligitimate shot at the postseason with a little luck.

If the Rangers can get Millwood, I can see a playoff appearance next year. Loe and Dominguez would be #4 and #5 starters and I think they could win their share of games from the bottom of the rotation, I could see between them 2 at the bottom getting 20-25 wins.

Only thing left would to be to trade 1 or 2 of the OF's for another relief pitcher, preferably a lefty.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever

What a lot of people fail to remember is that this guy led the American League in ERA last season.

And before that, he was an excellent pitcher in the National League. He had two 18 win seasons with the Braves. I think he could actually be a 20 game winner with the Rangers.

Originally posted by Twentytwo

Millwood

Eaton

Loe

Dominguez

How much better is this than

Rogers

Drese

Young

Chan Ho

??

That is much better, but you forgot to mention Vicente Padilla. He is a former All-Star and will hopefully bounce back from a down year in 05.

Since the Rangers got themselves a little money to spend when they dumped Soriano, I think they definitely need to do what it takes to sign Millwood - within reason. I think he is the key to making the postseason for Texas.

Originally posted by Living4Christ

Since the Rangers got themselves a little money to spend when they dumped Soriano

They had the money to begin with ... this is the same team that signed Alex Rodriguez to a 10-year, $252 million contract (and they're still paying for most of it).

The Rangers practically gave away the best hitting second baseman in the league ... probably one of the dumbest moves Texas has done in recent memory.