MILLWOOD, RANGERS AGREE TO FIVE-YEAR DEAL

chase.colston

By STEPHEN HAWKINS

AP Sports Writer

ARLINGTON — Free agent pitcher Kevin Millwood reached a preliminary agreement on a $60 million, five-year contract with Texas, giving the Rangers the legitimate No. 1 starter they have been seeking.

Texas can void the fifth year of the deal if Millwood doesn't pitch a certain number of innings in earlier years of the contract. Millwood is expected to undergo a physical Tuesday, and the deal likely will be finalized Wednesday.

Details of the deal were disclosed by two people familiar with negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been finalized. Millwood's decision to accept Texas' offer was first reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on its Web site.

Millwood had a 2.86 ERA to lead the American League last season, his only season for Cleveland. The right-hander, who turned 31 Saturday, rejected a salary arbitration offer from the Indians.

Millwood, who also was sought by Boston, will be the No. 1 starter in a revamped Texas rotation, already bolstered by two trades this month. The Rangers got former All-Star right-hander Vicente Padilla from Philadelphia and acquired Adam Eaton from San Diego.

In nine major league seasons, Millwood is 107-75 with a 3.76 ERA. He won at least 17 games in three of his six seasons with Atlanta (1997-2002) and was an All-Star in 1999. He pitched two seasons for Philadelphia before going to Cleveland last year.

With the Rangers signing Millwood for $12 million a year, I highly doubt they'll want to pay Clemens $20 million to play just one season.

Of course, stranger things have happened. This is huge for the Rangers. Just think if they had a second baseman (sorry, had to do that ... :lol:).

Originally posted by sppunk

Without him, they were staring down the worst starting rotation in the last 15 years.

That's a bit of a stretch ... how about:

1990 Yankees

Tim Leary

Andy Hawkins

Dave LaPoint

Chuck Cary

Mike Witt

1996 Tigers

Felipe Lira

Omar Olivares

Brian Williams

Greg Gohr

Justin Thompson

1998 Devil Rays

Rolando Arrojo

Tony Saunders

Wilson Alvarez

Julio Santana

Dennis Springer

2003 Tigers

Nate Cornejo

Mike Maroth

Jeremy Bonderman

Adam Bernero

Gary Knotts

Boras had floated around that Seattle had been offering 5/70 mil.

Seattle apparently wasn't interested 'cuz they signed Washburn.

Texas called the bluff, put out a 3 yr/30 mil offer. I imagine Boston upped the offer from there until it was decided.

Millwood will have some trouble, like all pitchers here. Having a slider for a strikeout pitch is great, but flat sliders are a nightmare at Arlington. Still, better than just about anything we've had previously, and still cheaper than Park was :whome:

I like the way Daniels has reworked basically the entire rotation.

I didn't like losing Young, but if Millwood, Padilla, and Eaton pitch to their average...the team is upgraded dramatically.

I'm not thrilled with anything for a pitcher going past 3-years guaranteed...but that's where the market is...and with that, the Rangers are taking a risk...but with it being a hard-nosed, grind-it-out pitcher, I'm okay with that.

Smoaky

Good news for Texas. Now if he can turn in some good starts and keep the Rangers in the game til the 6th or so, this will be great for us.

A 31 year old with that kind of contract is timing at it's best. We should get the best of what Millwood has left.......which is good !!.....:thumbsup:

Chan Ho Park - 5 years, 65 million

Kevin Millwood - 5 years, 60 million

That sends chills up my spine, but I'm totally being any Texas effort to land a solid no. 1 starter.

I like what the Texas rotation looks like right now. I think trading Young away was a mistake that will really look bad in a couple of years, but I can't blame Daniels for trying. This rotation would go from good to GREAT (and turn Texas into an immediate WS contender) with Clemens in it. I know it is unlikely, but dreaming is all Texas fans have been able to do for the last 40 years! Here is a good article I found on Clemens possibly coming to Arlington....

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ne...sp&c_id=tex