Two Tons of Marijuana Found in Tunnel Running From Mexico to US

et_football

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by 50pinch

Look at the vast majority of people who smoke marijuana. They are total failures in life.

Why would the news report people living normal lives with marijuana? Because it wouldnt be news.

Their is a HUGE marijuana culture in America. Each and every one of us who works in an office or an organization of more than 10 people likely has at least one habitual user. There is not 1 single physical addictive in Marijuana. Most pot users live perfectly normal lives, and never hurt anyone. However they are forced to live in daily fear of our misguided marijuana laws.

Originally posted by RELFresh5

So if it was legal, would people be paranoid.

NO!!!

Well actually the paranoia is one of the negative side effects of marijuana use. Although obviously the decriminalization of pot would likely alleviate most of it. :yay:

Originally posted by 50pinch

Look at the vast majority of people who smoke marijuana. They are total failures in life.

Jennifer Aniston, Louis Armstrong, Jack Black, Michael Bloomberg (When asked if he ever smoked pot, he replied, "You bet I did. And I enjoyed it!"), Willie Nelson, Johhny Cash, Waylond Jennings, Francis Ford Coppola, Bob Denver, Robert Mitchum, Bob Dylan, Newt Gingrich (Speaker of the House. Smoker of the weed. Gingrich said he smoked pot while studying in the 1970s. To do so, Gingrich said, "was a sign that we were alive and in graduate school in that era."),Al Gore (Gore has maintained his marijuana usage was "infrequent and rare" and ended in 1972.), Woody Harrelson, Whitney Houston, Mick Jagger, Thomas Jefferson, John F Kennedy, Steven King, Bob Marley, Linda McCartney, Sir Paul McCartney, Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Conan O'Brian, Pablo Picasso, Brad Pitt, Ross Rebagliati, Keanu Reeves, Carl Sagan, William Shakespeare, Wesley Snipes, Oliver Stone, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, Ted Turner, Dionne Warwick, George Washington, Neil Young

What a bunch of failures at life.(i only chose a few)

Originally posted by resolow007

what about steve nash... i saw him one night at a pearl jam concert, i swear he was stoned out of his mind... he was real lazy, his eyes were bloodshot... he was stoned

I'll bet he would be real alert behind the wheel of an automobile in that condition . . . which proves my point! :w00t:

You can post all this pot-head BS about marijuana, but here are the real facts, according to the American Medical Association:

Marijuana is addictive. While not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, when a user begins to seek out and take any drug compulsively, that person is said to be dependent on the drug or addicted to it. In 2002, over 280,000 people entering drug treatment programs reported marijuana as their primary drug of abuse, showing they needed help to stop using. According to one study, marijuana use by teenagers who have prior serious antisocial problems can quickly lead to dependence on the drug. That study also found that, for troubled teenagers using tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana, progression from their first use of marijuana to regular use was about as rapid as their progression to regular tobacco use, and more rapid than the progression to regular use of alcohol.

Studies have also shown that marijuana use can more often than not lead to other drugs, such as heroin and cocaine.

The short-term effects of marijuana addiction can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. One study has indicated that a user’s risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana’s effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers. Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

Depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances have been associated with marijuana addiction. Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off. Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their non-smoking peers. A study of 129 college students found that, for heavy users of marijuana (those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the preceding 30 days), critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired even after they had not used the drug for at least 24 hours. The heavy marijuana users in the study had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had used marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who has a marijuana addiction may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time. More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana users to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks. Several studies associate workers’ marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers’ compensation claims, and job turnover. A study of municipal workers found that those who used marijuana on or off the job reported more withdrawal behaviors such as leaving work without permission, daydreaming, spending work time on personal matters, and shirking tasks that adversely affect productivity and morale. In another study, marijuana users reported that use of the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health.

Some frequent, long-term marijuana users show signs of a lack of motivation (a motivational syndrome). Their problems include not caring about what happens in their lives, no desire to work regularly, fatigue, and a lack of concern about how they look. As a result of these symptoms, some users tend to perform poorly in school or at work. Scientists are still studying these problems.

There is no conclusive evidence that the effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent use of other illicit drugs. Preliminary animal studies alleging that marijuana "primed" the brain for other drug-taking behavior have not been replicated, nor are they supported by epidemiological human data. Statistically, for every 104 Americans who have tried marijuana, there is only one regular user of cocaine, and less than one user of heroin. Marijuana is clearly a "terminus" rather than a gateway for the overwhelming majority of marijuana smokers.

For those minority of marijuana smokers who do graduate to harder substances, it is marijuana prohibition -- which forces users to associate with the illicit drug black market -- rather than the use of marijuana itself, that often serves as a doorway to the world of hard drugs. The more users become integrated in an environment where, apart from cannabis, hard drugs can also be obtained, the greater the chances they will experiment with harder drugs.

In Holland, where politicians decided over 25 years ago to separate marijuana from the illicit drug market by permitting coffee shops all over the country to sell small amounts of marijuana to adults, individuals use marijuana and other drugs at rates less than half of their American counterparts.

While there are indeed health and societal problems due to the use of alcohol and nicotine, these negative consequences would be amplified if consumption of either substance were prohibited.

Marijuana is already the third most popular recreational drug in America, despite harsh laws against its use. Millions of Americans smoke it responsibly. Our public policies should reflect this reality, not deny it.

In addition, marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. It fails to inflict the types of serious health consequences these two legal drugs cause. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat than alcohol or tobacco."

No one is suggesting we encourage more drug use; simply that we stop arresting responsible marijuana smokers. In recent years, we have significantly reduced the prevalence of drunk driving and tobacco smoking. We have not achieved this by prohibiting the use of alcohol and tobacco or by targeting and arresting adults who use alcohol and tobacco responsibly, but through honest educational campaigns. We should apply these same principles to the responsible consumption of marijuana. The negative consequences primarily associated with marijuana -- such as an arrest or jail time -- are the result of the criminal prohibition of cannabis, not the use of marijuana itself.

I just thought both sides of the story should be represented.

Update on this. Taken from Yahoo

SAN DIEGO - A Mexican citizen was arrested on drug charges in the investigation into the longest cross-border tunnel ever found along the U.S.-Mexico border, U.S. officials said Monday.

The suspect, whose identity was not immediately released, was taken into custody during the weekend by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

He was expected to be arraigned Monday on charges of conspiracy to import a controlled substance.

The 2,400-foot-long tunnel runs from a warehouse near the airport in Tijuana to a warehouse in San Diego. It was unclear how long it had been in operation, but more than 2 tons of marijuana were found inside.

Authorities said the tunnel was five feet high and as deep as 90 feet below the surface. It had a cement-lined floor, lights that ran down one of the hard soil walls, and a groundwater pump and pipes the circulated fresh air.

The allegations against the Mexican man stemmed from his connection to the U.S. warehouse, which was operated by V&F Distributors LLC, ICE said in the news release Monday announcing the arrest.

The company, which incorporated last year in California, paid $2 million to lease the 49,377-square-foot commercial warehouse for five years with the stated purpose of distributing produce, according to real estate records.

On Friday, immigration authorities warned it had received intelligence that the Mexican drug cartel behind the tunnel had threatened the lives of people who had used it as well as the lives of those involved in the passageway's design or construction. ICE appealed to those people to seek out U.S. immigration agents at Mexican border crossings and pledged to do everything possible to protect them.

The Drug Enforcement Administration has said it suspects Tijuana's ruthless Arellano-Felix drug syndicate or another well-known cartel was involved.

Originally posted by Colligula

In addition, marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. It fails to inflict the types of serious health consequences these two legal drugs cause. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat than alcohol or tobacco."

"Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. One study has indicated that a user’s risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana’s effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells." ~ The American Medical Association

These were VERY recent studies...I will try to find the year they did these studies...I believe it was late 2004 but I'm not sure. I couldn't find this article on the internet so I typed it out of a journal I found at the library. I did a research project on the cannibus plant last semester.

Originally posted by ptballer11

while we are at it lets legalize cocaine and meth sounds like a good idea huh and hey steriods too lets just turn into one big drug head country

Nobody wants to legalize those. Only marijuana. There is absolutely no reason not to.

I personally do not use marijuana, but I have plenty of friends that do. I just don't see anything wrong with it, we could make tons of tax money from it, and we could stop this "war on drugs" farce that is wasting our money.

Originally posted by DeuceChunker03
Originally posted by ptballer11

while we are at it lets legalize cocaine and meth sounds like a good idea huh and hey steriods too lets just turn into one big drug head country

Nobody wants to legalize those. Only marijuana. There is absolutely no reason not to.

I personally do not use marijuana, but I have plenty of friends that do. I just don't see anything wrong with it, we could make tons of tax money from it, and we could stop this "war on drugs" farce that is wasting our money.

its true, some ppl only go so far with drugs...i know alot of sucessful ppl that still chief...

Originally posted by KirtFalcon

That's all we need . . . people stoping by the gas station or 7/11 to buy a package of "legal" marajuana, lighting up and hitting the road! How much do you think the national fatality rates would increase on our highways! :whistle:

haha they basically do that anyways

After reading all of those negative facts on marijuana, sounds just like all the characteristics I wound up with after the collapse of my 13 yr. marriage. I admit, I did use marijuana and it helped relieve the stress immediately, the Prozac took 2 months.

Originally posted by Aggie2008

"Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

Although i admire someone for finding a study that directly contradicts the ones i have read. (and is very reputable). I think its obvious that it wont change my mind.

What major drugs does it mean? Alcohol and Tobbacco?

And i also think its good to keep in mind that marijuana smokers use MUCH less marijuana that tobbacco users do with tobbacco.