Where are the good ones going to college anyone signed yet?

Gladerunner07

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Texashurdler, that's pretty awesome. The coach from UCA is really nice, and although they are only just starting their program, you could help be the base for a stronger track team in the future. I saw you run at regionals, and I thought you did pretty awesome!I thought you were goin to make it in the 110 hurdles, but we can both say that things don't always go the way you think they should at regionals.

Also I read on a thread back that someone said it was hard to get a track scholarship, this isn't true guys. Cross-Country is the most frequent sport in college because you don't have to have special facilities to maintain it. Track scholarships are easy to find if you're really serious about running, but like someone already stated, you've got to look early. Also, my mom and I were talking and the reason that most kids aren't happy with their track offers is because they are only limiting themselves to Big 12 schools. Folks, there are other really ligit D1 schools out there, and I would have never found Tulsa if I hadn't looked for the school that ! fit in best. When I was a sophomore, I had my heart set on UT like most other dedicated Longhorn fans, but I didn't end up goin because I had to realize that I just wasn't good enough. No I'm not lowering my self-esteem, and I certainly gave my best in high school, but just think! Freakin Sandra Richards ran at UT, and she runs a faster 400 than most guys(like a 48 or 49 somethin). The key to finding the track scholarship for you is to be true to yourself, and don't quit searching after the Big 12 schools turn you down. Keep lookin', I PROMISE they're out there!

Originally posted by JfOrD200

Hey Texashurdler, that's pretty awesome. The coach from UCA is really nice, and although they are only just starting their program, you could help be the base for a stronger track team in the future. I saw you run at regionals, and I thought you did pretty awesome!I thought you were goin to make it in the 110 hurdles, but we can both say that things don't always go the way you think they should at regionals.

Also I read on a thread back that someone said it was hard to get a track scholarship, this isn't true guys. Cross-Country is the most frequent sport in college because you don't have to have special facilities to maintain it. Track scholarships are easy to find if you're really serious about running, but like someone already stated, you've got to look early. Also, my mom and I were talking and the reason that most kids aren't happy with their track offers is because they are only limiting themselves to Big 12 schools. Folks, there are other really ligit D1 schools out there, and I would have never found Tulsa if I hadn't looked for the school that ! fit in best. When I was a sophomore, I had my heart set on UT like most other dedicated Longhorn fans, but I didn't end up goin because I had to realize that I just wasn't good enough. No I'm not lowering my self-esteem, and I certainly gave my best in high school, but just think! Freakin Sandra Richards ran at UT, and she runs a faster 400 than most guys(like a 48 or 49 somethin). The key to finding the track scholarship for you is to be true to yourself, and don't quit searching after the Big 12 schools turn you down. Keep lookin', I PROMISE they're out there!

Great post! I saw you run aswell...4th and 3rd on your part arent bad. Those are some really fast times you shelled out! I placed badly because of screw ups on my part and others but i am lifting my head higher...So good luck toy ou in college and in the future that life brings you!

Hey this is Garrett Sage from Pine Tree. I will be signing with DBU within the next week and am looking forward to running for them.

I wanted to restate what jford200 said: It is not hard to get a track scholarship for girls. For guys it is much harder because they are much fewer. The reason is most schools have a football team that takes up the majority of the guys scholarships and the girls must have the same amout as the guys have so in the girls sports they are spread out more. There is not a girls sport that has near as many players as football has. Also football brings in much more revenue than any other sport, especially track and cross country. For DBU their baseball team is DI therefore it takes up a majority of the scholarships.

One other thing... I would recomend not going DI if you are not DI caliber. Most DI schools like thier distance runners under 9:45 (3200) and under 4:30 (1600) for guy walk ons and even lower for most Big 12 schools. It will not help most people nor would I consider it to be much fun to get burnt every race against schools that are or should be the level as your school. From conversations with coach Cap from Baylor Andrew Stroman has either done an excellent job of improving or is being expected to improve by a lot because of the number of red shirts Baylor had this year. After talking to coach Cap I was invited to walk on but was not garenteed a place on the team even after running almost similar times as Andrew this year (no offense to Andrew, you must be doing great there and I look forward to running against you next season too). I did not want to take the chance of not running or having to compete against my own teammates. My advice is to look at a school at all levels... DI, DII, and DIII; look at the academics, campus, and the team itself... especially the coach. DBU is a small school but I believe that it fits my needs and from what I have seen so far has an excellent coach that is passionate about the sport. DI may sound good but it most likely will not help you imporve as a runner if you don't run sub 10's already. Look at Abeline Christian or Adams State... two of the best distance schools in the country that are DII, I would expect them to beat most DI schools. I believe the most important part is having fun while running.

and from earlier posts... I was invited to walk on at Baylor and OSU; and was offered a spot on the team at TCU.

1. I agree that its much easier for girls to get track/cross-country scholarships. Like I said before and Garrett repeated it: Its all footballs fault. They get tons of scholarships just to stack the sidelines.

2. You should look for the school that most fits your needs. I came out of a tiny Class A and i felt like I needed to be on a team with plenty of guys that were faster than me even if that meant sitting out my first year. The most important thing is definetly the coach though. ACU and Adams State are awesome btw. DBU has some good runners as well.

3. I don't believe there is a such thing as D1 caliber runners. Its my belief that you can run as fast as you want to as long as you train hard enough. Example: theres a guy from OSU that ran in the 4:40's in high school but now he runs in the 4:05 range. He even beat one of our guys in the DMR in indoor season.

Originally posted by baylorxc

3. I don't believe there is a such thing as D1 caliber runners. Its my belief that you can run as fast as you want to as long as you train hard enough. Example: theres a guy from OSU that ran in the 4:40's in high school but now he runs in the 4:05 range. He even beat one of our guys in the DMR in indoor season.

By DI caliber I mean the quality of runner they are coming out of high school. I agree that the trainning during college can drastically improve your times because of better coaches, competition, and more running. Coach Weis didn't recruit the 4:40 runner, he walked on at the righ time when several other runners were injured and got the roster position because it was open. So coming out of high school I don't believe he was at the level that most Big 12 athletes and probly a majority of DI are at comming in. He did give a great example of what correct trainning can do compared to most high school trainning. Coach Weis told me that story when I met him to encourage me right after he told me how great OSU was at academics and running.

Yeah Garrett u need to get me a schedual so I can come watch u run boy u better do good and by the way u better be glad I didnt get to run against u at the regional qualifer meet in the mile lol .Good luck dude we should run some togather this summer.Um how much did u say tution is for DBU?By the way this is Justin.

Originally posted by baylorxc

1. I agree that its much easier for girls to get track/cross-country scholarships. Like I said before and Garrett repeated it: Its all footballs fault. They get tons of scholarships just to stack the sidelines.

2. You should look for the school that most fits your needs. I came out of a tiny Class A and i felt like I needed to be on a team with plenty of guys that were faster than me even if that meant sitting out my first year. The most important thing is definetly the coach though. ACU and Adams State are awesome btw. DBU has some good runners as well.

Footballs fault? When is the last time that you saw thousands upon thousands of people at a CC meet. Do you not realize that football is the only sport that brings any substantial money to a college. Asfar as D1 caliber runners, yeah I'm afraid there is a difference. Just like every other sport there is a difference in D1 talent compared to everyone else.

• 1 month later...

Another thing about college scholorships that you may find at some schools, is that they won't offer incoming freshman alot of money unless you are just outstanding, b/c they will give out a little more of their money to the upperclassmen who have earned it, so if u can only get a little bit of money the first year but work your tail off, then u could be looking at more money each year after that. And as much as u might like a full ride, getting partial the first year give u a little incentive to work harder.

• 3 weeks later...

congrats to both of them I am surprised about Jarod Tuel though? Walk on? He could find way better! But good luck to both of them. I toured Arlington's campus in february. Very nice. They have no football team which means their multi million dollar stadium is for the band and the track teams mainly...i almost went there but lack of scholarship money was my deciding factor aswell...i wish the best of luck to him and moody