Strayhorn rips Perry, promises a $4,000 pay raise for Texas school teachers

RETIREDFAN1

She's got my vote.

Strayhorn rips Perry, promises a $4,000 pay raise for Texas school teachers

By LESTER MURRAY [email protected]

Carole Keeton Strayhorn, the selfproclaimed "One Tough Grandma," invoked the three-strike rule for Gov. Rick Perry last night at Kilgore College.

Strayhorn, an independent candidate who is opposing Perry in the November primary if she collects enough signatures to get on the ballot, blasted Perry on issue after issue.

Strayhorn said the three strike rule is simple: Perry has tried three times to solve the school finance problem, once in 2002, again in 2005 and his current proposal in 2006. All, she said, failed the children of the State of Texas.

Strayhorn said there is $8.2 billion available for Texas education and to put things right for teachers "who are grossly underpaid."

"When elected governor I will give each teacher a $4000 pay raise and reinstate all benefits which have been taken away during Perry's time in office," said Strayhorn.

Strayhorn said it is better to spend $2500 a year per student then $16,000 a year to incarcerate those same individuals left behind in the current system.

"Perry went from Robin Hood to robbing everyone and Perry's ideas on taxation are way out of line," said Strayhorn.

Strayhorn said come the primary in November she is the only viable candidate to take Perry down. "We have tens of thousands more signatures already than we need to get on the ballot," said Strayhorn. "My grassroots campaign is already spreading, not just in East Texas but all over Texas."

Strayhorn said she proposed during the last special to Perry to put legislation in that session which would put child molesters in jail for life. "Perry refused but introduced legislature which helped special interest groups," said Strayhorn.

Strayhorn said when elected governor the "special needs of our most precious resource, our children will come first and foremost."

Strayhorn said compensating teachers will benefit children, making the great State of Texas even greater should be first on anyone's agenda. "If you based compensation on production then teachers should be the highest paid jobs in the state and Perry would owe us money," said Strayhorn.

Strayhorn said she is running as an independent because "partisan politics is just not working anymore. As governor I won't care if you are a democrat, republican or independent but I will work for everyone in this great state, not the special interest groups," said Strayhorn. "Sam Houston was the last independent governor elected in this state and I will be the next."

But she is NOT the only one who has a say in the raise. If she fights for the raise, then she has done her part, even if she knows going in that it will not happen. I believe that she knows going in that she will not get $4000 for teachers, even though we deserve double that.

Originally posted by wildbill277

But she is NOT the only one who has a say in the raise. If she fights for the raise, then she has done her part, even if she knows going in that it will not happen. I believe that she knows going in that she will not get $4000 for teachers, even though we deserve double that.

True, but I'm glad that she is at least putting it at the forefront.

She should ask for $8,000 so in the end we would get $4,000.