Spanish Star Spangled Banner?

bigdawg16

MIAMI -- British music producer Adam Kidron says he just wanted to honor the millions of immigrants seeking a better life in the U.S. when he came up with the idea of a Spanish-language version of the American national anthem.

The initial version of "Nuestro Himno," or "Our Anthem" comes out Friday and features artists such as Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon.

Some Internet bloggers and others are infuriated by the thought of "The Star-Spangled Banner" sung in a language other than English, and the version of the song has already been the target of a fierce backlash.

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not," said Mark Krikorian, head of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that supports tighter immigration controls.

"Nuestro Himno" uses lyrics based closely on the English-language original, said Kidron, who heads the record label Urban Box Office.

Pro-immigration protests are planned around the country for Monday, and the record label is urging Hispanic radio stations nationwide to play the cut at 7 p.m. EDT Friday in a sign of solidarity.

A remix to be released in June will contain several lines in English that condemn U.S. immigration laws. Among them: "These kids have no parents, 'cause all of these mean laws ... not start a war with all these hard workers can't help where they were born."

Bryanna Bevens of Hanford, Calif., who writes for the immigration-focused Web magazine Vdare.com, said the remix particularly upset her.

"It's very whiny. If you want to say all those things, by all means, put them on your poster board, but don't put them on the national anthem," she said.

Kidron, a U.S. resident for 16 years, maintains the changes are fitting. After all, he notes, American immigrants borrowed the melody of "The Star-Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song.

"There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate," Kidron said. "I wanted to show my thanks to these people who buy my records and listen to the music we release and do the jobs I don't want to do."

Kidron said the song also will be featured on the album "Somos Americanos," which will sell for $10, with $1 going to the National Capital Immigration Coalition, a Washington group.

James Gardner, an associate director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, said Americans have long enjoyed different interpretations of "The Star-Spangled Banner," including country or gospel arrangements.

"There are a number of renditions that people aren't happy with, but that's part of it -- that it means enough for people to try to sing," he said.

Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Perez, said this country was built by immigrants, and "the meaning of the American dream is in that record: struggle, freedom, opportunity, everything they are trying to shut down on us."

I love it. The more outragous and insulting these instigators become, the more people will get fed up and demand action. I say keep the spotlight on this issue and continue to do such Anti-American projects. They think they are helping their cause, but they are only uniting others against them.

Send'em back, Send'em back, wayyyy back.

I actually have no problem with this. Like I said before if they are singing a song about America and are proud to be here I don't have a problem with it, as long as they are being genuine in their efforts to be 'American' (whatever that means).

If they were marching in America singing the Mexican national anthem then that would be out of line.

The thing I hate is the people who fly Mexican flags everywhere.

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by Voted4Dubya
Originally posted by CNOrtega

I wonder how they would feel to have the Mexican National Anthem, if they have one, sung in English?

I doubt most of them stop to worry about petty things like that.

I doubt they even know their own national anthem, if Mexico even has one.

Originally posted by BoBellCrew
Originally posted by Camusmind

There is no excuse for this kind of treason.

Treason!? It's people using their first ammendment right!

What happened to you?

It's called hyperbole....

Originally posted by CNOrtega

I doubt they even know their own national anthem, if Mexico even has one.

give me one logical reason they wouldnt have a national anthem, and then one why they wouldnt know it? Honestly i have no idea where your coming from.

Originally posted by strawberry66

Freedom of speech is a basic human right.

Even if its in bad taste! Its also our basic human right not to like it.:whistle:

I didnt say you couldnt like it did I? But you can't say they don't have the right to freedom of speech just because they aren't american.

Even if its in bad taste! Its also our basic human right not to like it.:whistle:

I didnt say you couldnt like it did I? But you can't say they don't have the right to freedom of speech just because they aren't american.

We're not trying to jail them for recording a Spanish version of the "Star Spangled Banner. Merely, point out how they are defeating their own cause by doing it.

Instead of generating support among the American people eligible to vote, these people are alienating the American voting public.

Actually you are wrong. They are here illegally, therefore we can ship their hiney back to their lovely home country.

I heard the song on the radio this morning and, while I didn't understand a word of it, I was almost offended. (only almost.) While I was going through radio channels, I happened upon a Houston radio station who's DJ was saying "use this day to speak out, Latinos" so that sort of got me interested and I started listening. They compared this song to a similar one that's in English.

First of all, not only is this degrading to the people of today, it goes WAY back to the day the Star Spangled Banner was written. Sure, sing the national anthem in Spanish...People sing songs in different languages all the time...I have no problem with that...but do NOT use it to prove your point by slaughtering the song and changing up all the words. I'd really like to know what the lyrics are when translated to English. Someone called in to that station and said by calling the song "Our Anthem" they were defeating the purpose because it alienates everyone EXCEPT the immigrants and I agree. There was the Black National Anthem, sure...but that was back when black people weren't ALLOWED to sing the Star Spangled Banner. There's no excuse this time.

Originally posted by BearBryant

Actually you are wrong. They are here illegally, therefore we can ship their hiney back to their lovely home country.

Yes, some of them are here illegally. I'm not disputing that. However, that still doesn't change the fact that freedom of speech is a basic human right.

How does an illegal person have the right to free speech? Go to Mexico and do what they are doing here and see how much free speech they'll give you there dubya. You'll be hollering "no mas senor".

If you look at it from the perspective of Jesus...wasn't he killed for exercising his God given right to say whatever he wanted to say? We are headed for a sticky wicket when we mix government and religion!

A civil government cannot rely on "the Golden Rule" as it's only law. We have a God-Given right to protect ourselves from those who would persecute us. Our pourous border is a joke, and it's time to deal with that.

I'm all for amnesty for those who have a job already. But America cannot be different than other nations--we have to enforce our immigration laws and procedures. A peron does not have Constitutional rights until that person is a citizen.