A Day without an illegal immigrant

Observer

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

An imaginary exercise.

By Tom Tancredo

What would a day without illegal aliens really be like? Let’s try to imagine it.

On May 1, millions of illegal aliens working in meat-processing plants, construction, restaurants, hotels, and other “jobs Americans won’t do” are supposed to stay home from work to show the importance of their labor to our nation’s economy. Doubtless, there will be some inconvenience if that happens, but there is another side to the story that is not being reported.

We are talking about illegal aliens, not mere “immigrants.” If legal immigrants stopped working for a day, we would miss the services of physicians, nurses, computer programmers, writers, actors, musicians, entrepreneurs of all stripes, and some airline pilots…as well as the CEO of Google. That would be more than an inconvenience, but it won’t happen because legal immigrants are not out marching angrily for rights that are already protected by our courts.

But if illegal aliens all took the day off and were truly invisible for one day, there would be some plusses along with the mild inconveniences.

Hospital emergency rooms across the southwest would have about 20-percent fewer patients, and there would be 183,000 fewer people in Colorado without health insurance.

OBGYN wards in Denver would have 24-percent fewer deliveries and Los Angeles’s maternity-ward deliveries would drop by 40 percent and maternity billings to Medi-Cal would drop by 66 percent.

Youth gangs would see their membership drop by 50 percent in many states, and in Phoenix, child-molestation cases would drop by 34 percent and auto theft by 40 percent.

In Durango, Colorado, and the Four Corners area and the surrounding Indian reservations, the methamphetamine epidemic would slow for one day, as the 90 percent of that drug now being brought in from Mexico was held in Albuquerque and Farmington a few hours longer. According to the sheriff of La Plata County, Colorado, meth is now being brought in by ordinary illegal aliens as well as professional drug dealers.

If the “Day-Without-an-Immigrant Boycott” had been held a year earlier on May 8, 2005, and illegal alien Raul Garcia-Gomez had stayed home and did not work or go to a party that day, Denver police officer Donnie Young would still be alive and Garcia-Gomez would not be sitting in a Denver jail awaiting trial.

If the boycott had been held on July 1, 2004, Justin Goodman of Thornton, Colorado, would still be riding his motorcycle and Roberto Martinez-Ruiz would not be in prison for killing him and then fleeing the scene while driving on a suspended license.

If illegal aliens stayed home—in Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, and 100 other countries—the Border Patrol would have 3,500 fewer apprehensions (of the 12,000 who try each day).

Colorado taxpayers would save almost $3,000,000 in one day if illegals do not access any public services, because illegal aliens cost the state over $1 billion annually according to the best estimates.

Colorado’s K-12 school classrooms would have 131,000 fewer students if illegal aliens and the children of illegals were to stay home, and Denver high schools’ dropout rate would once again approach the national norm.

Colorado’s jails and prisons would have 10-percent fewer inmates, and Denver and many other towns would not need to build so many new jails to accommodate the overcrowding.

Our highway patrol and county sheriffs would have about far fewer DUI arrests and there would be a dramatic decline in rollovers of vanloads of illegal aliens on I-70 and other highways.

On a Day Without an Illegal Immigrant, thousands of workers and small contractors in the construction industry across Colorado would have their jobs back, the jobs given to illegal workers because they work for lower wages and no benefits. (On the other hand, if labor unions continue signing up illegal workers, no one will be worrying about Joe Six-Pack’s loss. Sorry, Joe, but you forgot to tell your union business agent that your job is as important as his is.)

If it fell on a Sunday, Catholic Churches in the southwestern states might have 20-percent fewer parishioners at Mass if all illegals stayed home, but they would be back next Sunday, so the bishop’s job is not in danger. The religious leaders who send people to the marches and rallies will never fear for their jobs, because illegal aliens need their special “human-rights” advocacy and some priests and nuns seem especially devoted to that cause. The fact that most Catholics disagree with the bishops’ radicalism doesn’t seem to affect their dedication to undermining the rule of law.

All of this might be a passing colorful episode in the heated national debate over immigration policy if it weren’t for an odd coincidence: The immigration-enforcement agency responsible for locating and deporting illegal aliens is also taking the day off today. Of course, they didn’t call it a boycott. It is just (non)business as usual.

It was a day without Illegal Immigrants is what it was. I know there were some who are here legally that were apart of the " boycott " demanding their " rights ". There was one guy that was not identified here in Houston but was asked about his situation. He said he came to the us in 1980. During his time here he has not inquired about becoming a citizen nor has he nor his family ever had insurance coverage. You think that guy really cares about the United States? Na...he is just draining the pockets of you and i because we let them. If there are no consequences to their actions then there will never be the initiative to do whats right on their part.

Good article on the effects of illegal immigration.

Although I'm getting antsy about this a bit.

Are we really concerned about these people at all? I mean, if we deport them all to Mexico or wherever they came from, sure, the US would see benefits. BUT what would happen to these people. No work in Mexico, no food for the kids, no health care? I mean are we even CARING what happens to these people? Obviously not.

We live in selfish America, where Christians are only Christians when it's convenient and people only care about other people when they can get something in return.

So many so-called Christians and 'moral' people are begging for these people to be deported so that they may see a little more money in their pocket! And then they call people that are ACTUALLY living out their faith by helping the poor 'radicals'.

I don't get it.

Someone enlighten me on how anyone that demands the intentional harming of desperate people (and that is what it is) can do that in spite of their faith.

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by Aggie2008

Are we really concerned about these people at all? I mean, if we deport them all to Mexico or wherever they came from, sure, the US would see benefits. BUT what would happen to these people. No work in Mexico, no food for the kids, no health care? I mean are we even CARING what happens to these people? Obviously not.

Honestly....

I don't care what happens to them once they get in their country where they belong. I do not care if they have no work. I do not care if they and their children starve. I don't even care if their dog ran away. Our problem as a country is that we care too much, and we have been walked on day in and day out. The time for that needs to end NOW. It's time to take a hard stance on this and get these moochers out NOW.

Originally posted by CNOrtega

Honestly....

I don't care what happens to them once they get in their country where they belong. I do not care if they have no work. I do not care if they and their children starve. I don't even care if their dog ran away. Our problem as a country is that we care too much, and we have been walked on day in and day out. The time for that needs to end NOW. It's time to take a hard stance on this and get these moochers out NOW.

My sentiments exactly. Let their own government figure out how to help them, or let them change the government in THEIR country to fit their needs. Let the churches in their country help them so that the ones over here can help the citizens of the UNITED STATES that need the help. Get them out of here right now!!!

Folks, I know some of yall will disagree with me, but I want to say this anyways.

If you want illegals to stop coming here, we are going to have to help Mexico end its corruption. Mexico cannot do this itself, so we are going to have to help it.

Corruption is the key here.

Look at Canada, you don't see them breaking down the borders to get here. They have a good government (well, at least its democratic and free of corruption). We need to support the movements in Mexico that want to reform the government and free it from corruption.

You are right on about that one. The corruption has to end. When our ancestors tired of a corrupt government, they threw it out and created the greatest nation in history. The people of Mexico need to take it upon themselves to end the corruption instead of depending on outside help. When the rest of the world sees a valid attempt to end the corruption, the aid will be there.

True, it is ultimately up to the people of Mexico for that to happen. And I hope Vicente Fox will win again.

One thing that I was thinking of earlier is that when we overthrew British Tyranny, we were a lot better off. Corruption had not left our colonists living in abject poverty like the people in Mexico. So maybe not direct help, but we should channel some funds to reform groups, much like we are doing to fund reform groups in Iran.

How about enforcing the laws in the US first...

Like employment laws...

Immigration Laws..

Then... make it a fellony to be here illegally

Make it so that if you get caught here illegally.. you are NEVER eligible for legal immigration...

Make it where kids of illegals are NOT citizens

NO eligibility for social programs...

NO incentive to be here.... maybe they go home!

I am all for that...

This one just happens to have an impact on the economy, security, government spending....

Kills more than ONE bird with one stone!

I actually noticed LOTS and LOTS of Hispanics out shopping on Monday. Now, maybe they weren't illegal immigrants, but since the boycott called for all Hispanics to spend no money here on Monday, and to not work anywhere on Monday, I don't believe that distinction matters.

The bottom line: the "boycott" was pretty darned ineffectual. Shootin' themselves in the foot, if you ask me.