Tuminello Requesting Transfer Papers from Mesquite ISD, to...

Smoaky

Stay on topic.

Do not get personal, or allow yourself to be draw into a "personal" tangent.

Stay civil.

Thanks for the interuption. :)

Daf

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by CoachBird2
Originally posted by SHO-TIME

coachbird,,,,why don't you tell me since you're such an anti-gilmer fan ya know

No why don't you tell me? Just because I am from Gladewater doesn't mean that I am anti-Gilmer. Coaching is my profession. Why would I burn that bridge? Listen, I would feel the same way if these players were transferring to any school. It looks bad!! All I asked is for names of other players who were transferring to different programs because you said they were. Why can't you name them?

We admit it. So what? Our kids are not even all-district players, however, we like the championship atmosphere our kiddos lacked in their previous school district.

Is transferring for an upgrade in coaching/program/atmosphere/experience a bad thing? Where is it written that if our family resides in a school district which is going nowhere, we have to stay and watch our kids and their friends get the bejeebers kicked out of them for how-ever-many years? Again, we were there BEFORE our kids were in athletics, Coach Bird. The school district did NOTHING to upgrade facilites/coaching/equipment/etc. Our decision was made final one night whenever we witnessed an absolute butt-whipping where parents/fans wondered aloud for the physical safety of their kids on the field. You rarely see those type games, however, when a "if it's broke, don't fix it" school board runs things....

I've also seen coaches transfer/change jobs by the TRUCKLOAD in order to pad THEIR resume/get their son some press.

You think that Shipley and McGee's dads just suddenly showed up on Burnet's doorstep one day. "Oh, gee. Here we are with two of the greatest athletes in America at this lil' ol school out here in Hill Country. What a coincidence."

Coaches can do that, but anyone else's kids cannot? (Let me add here that I DO NOT have a problem with coaches moving their kids into a situation which is better for their kid. And, YES, it IS recruiting whenever a HC brings in an assistant who that HC knows has a son which fills a big void.)

Back to the original topic...like most others here I'm opposed to the HT move, but only because he transferred to Mesquite first.

However, this nonsense about HT/Kinne/Traylor being involved in some OUesque recruiting scandal is pure hogwash and needs to stop.

It is one thing to say you disagree with the HT transfer, as CoachBird has done. That's OK.

It's entirely another to say Gilmer cheats because kids like their coach/atmosphere/program/etc.

Somehow, I have a strong feeling that Gilmer will be the recipient of several talented transfers over the coming years. Not because they are doing anything wrong, but because they are offering "cutting-edge" coaching. I also believe that coaches and fans from area schools know this and fear the potential loss of key players. It is nearly impossible for parents to find an established, long-term 5A coaching staff in a town of 5k.

Transplant,

Moving for athletic purposes is wrong...period...it aint right for a player to get to reap the benefits of others hard work just because they were unhappy with their previous situation or because their parents made the choice to move them into a sub-par school district...if they just wanna be around the atmosphere, then they shouldnt have a problem with sitting out for a year and cheering their new school on from the stands...i agree with u however that Traylor isnt recruiting because if he was he'd go for a much more talented player in a position that they are actually hurting in, like DB...and if HT wanted to go to Gilmer then why didnt he enroll there first instead of going through the trouble of getting kicked outta Mesquite

oh please coachbird you've been getting on the tangent bout this whole issue every since it bought out and by the way i do read the lines very carefully thank you very much....those who get upset over this whole issue over a transfer should be ashame of themselves....so get over it...

Transplant, I will agree with most everything you said. I also do not believe Gilmer is recruiting. However, I don't agree with the transfer unless he sits out a year. My problem with this attitude about transferring kids at will is that you say it is parents doing what is best for their children. I'm all for that, if indeed all kids had the same opportunities. That's part of the reason the transfer rule is important. Everyone knows that not all athletes can transfer at will. I don't know alot of parents that can just pickup and move because of their kids. Many work in jobs that are not transferable and they can't just quit and find something else. If parents care that much about their kids, why don't they try to fix the problems where they are? In alot of instances kids transfering hurt the schools they are leaving. Our high schools shouldn't have to deal with problems of recruiting, real or otherwise. That's part of the game in college or the pros, but that's why there are rules in high school.

I moved to Gladewater when my son was going into the 8th grade. It so happened that my stepdad coached for Union Grove, and my son wanted to go to school there to play for him when he got to High School. He played at Union Grove untill my stepdad finished coaching at the end of my son's sophmore year. At that time because we lived in the Gladewater School district, he then enrolled there his Jr. year and played football for Jack Murphy. His senior year he decided to live with his dad in Mesquite and transferred to NMHS (did not play sports) and graduated there. I guess you could say my son went to Union Grove for athletic reasons (being his grandfather was the coach). He was sophmore of the year in basketball and made honorable mention as a tight end in football. At Gladewater he was only a backup. His experiences with Coach Murphy and the Gladewater staff will last him a lifetime and he is a winner because of it.

I guess my point is I really understand parents wanting their children to have the best. In Dallas, at SLC it's easy for the parents because they just have to drive a longer to get to work, but they don't have to change jobs. I don't agree with what they do, but it's acceptable there because it's hard to prove. If a kid goes to Pine Tree, but wants to transfer to Longview High, that would be hard to prove that it's for athletic reasons, but to transfer from Canton to Mesquite to Gilmer, well that's a bit easier to say something smells. None of it is right. Our programs suffer at some schools and get better at others. All it does is penalize the kids that spend all their life in one school. They also deserve a chance to win.

Being a military brat, I remember when the UIL's transfer rule cost my oldest brother a full-year (junior) after my father was told by Uncle Sam he'd be transferred from The Pentagon in Washington D.C. to Randolph AFB in San Antonio.

He/we didn't have a choice...Uncle Sam doesn't care whether your son or daughter is a star athlete and moving into a state where they don't allow transfers.

I may be wrong, but back then, a transfer was a cut and dried situation, especially if you were an underclassmen. And even if you were a senior, you had to have a great reason for the transfer.

Thank God I did, at that time, my father was transferred from Yokota Air Force Base in Tokyo, Japan back to Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio.

My oldest brother was a state track champion in the high hurdles as a sophomore in Viriginia, and had to sit out the entire year at San Antonio Roosevelt.

He ended up being an all-district football and track athlete his senior year...but it wasn't a fun year for him, believe me...he took out his frustrations on me and my other brothers.

Like with anything else, there are legitimate transfers, and we know there are others that are abusive.

In every case, the UIL has a system in place that catches most of the concerns...but no system is perfect.

The UIL hopes the District Executive Committee can handle everything, but if they don't, the UIL is there when necessary.

I think it's fair to have opinions and feedback on any high-profile transfer, regardless of sport....but I think we should all let the system work.

Whether it does or not, the opinions will start up again on the decision, rather than the concern.

Smoaky

I do not agree with the parents that do this nor a school that allows it. The remark made about not being fair to life long students is very true. My kids are the 6th generation in our 3A school district where I live and if a kid moves in just to play sports and it effects a "lifer" then I will be ON TOP of our Coach's and School Board, there is no worse of an example that a Teacher/Coach can display then the "win at all cost" menatallity. In the case of HT if you support this move in any fashion you are supporting this move at the cost of many other kids and for that you really need an ethics check, for winning is good but being good is better. Just my OP so " flame on"

I've just spent probably an hour reading all of these posts and my opinion hasn't changed a bit. Here they are:

1. LOYALTY to your hometown is a lost art for many. It's paramount with me.

2. Jamell Kennedy should be mad if this kid gets a fraction of the passes thrown to him. Kennedy seems like a good kid. I feel bad for him if it happens.

3. This is the exact reason pro teams DO have salary caps...so this type of thing doesn't happen at that level. (Otherwise, all of the all stars would play for the top 1 or 2 teams.)

4. Moving for athletic purposes IS illegal ...and should be.

5. The whole thing's pathetic.

well i know where i stand on my position...but needless to say being a gilmerite myself...i'm pretty sure gilmer is gonna have some of the opposing teams' fans wanting to throw something at them or something to that nature....or trash talk at them

sho-time . . . there SHOULD be some extremely uphappy Moye people.

kinne was one matter . . . he and his family had legitimate concerns that were

ignored . . .

but HT? . . . illegal . . . illegal . . . illegal . . .

(that being said, canton will be a much happier place without him.)

Originally posted by Football17

When I think of one word to sum up a bunch of grown men, getting all worked up, pointing fingers, making false statements, and taking things way to personal, the word Im thinking of is STUPID. Stupidity : a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience. Does anyone in here understand just what that means? I bet the adverage heart rate of most of you redneck crybabies is off the charts. These are KIDS we are talking about! Some teams win, and some teams loose, families that are looking for other places to live (that have children who are great in ANY sport) ARE GONNA LOOK FOR SCHOOLS THAT HAVE EXCELLENT SPORTS PROGRAMS! You, you, you, you, you, all of you! Every stinkin one of you would do the same.....I don't care UIL Rules or not....Rules are made for CRYBABIES who's sons RIDE the BENCH. This world has to many Rules and regulations because people don't know how to be HAPPY! Stop pointing the finger and grow up!Take some responsibility, and go with the flow. If your school ####....MOVE! Be happy where ever you are, yes Loosin ####.....but complaining about everyone else, pointing fingers, making false accusations with no proof, in my eyes is much worse than loosing.

Football17, both sides are making false statements, both sides are pointing fingers, both sides are taking things personal. You say families that are looking for another place to move would choose schools with great sports programs. I would agree with you if this was about a family that wanted to move to another area. When a family decides to move they look at several places and check out schools, doctors, hospitals, recreation, weather, cost of housing and jobs. In alot of these cases, the family isn't moving. The kid is going to live with someone else, a legal guardian per say. As far as I am concerned, the measure of a great sports program isn't defined by how many games you win or how many state championships you have. I went to the same school my entire life. The only girl's sports we had was tennis and I didn't play tennis. The year after I graduated we got a golf team. Now I had played golf since I was 14 years old and I played basketball and baseball since I was 9, but because we didn't have a team for me at the local school I could only play on the sandlots or out in the back 40. Never once did I go to my parents and say, "let's move so I can play golf or basketball". I knew where my dads job was and, for one, it never entered my mind. That would have been selfish of me to think my families situation was all about me and it would have been wrong of my parents to move me for those reasons. The school system I was in gave me a great education. If everyone transferred just because their sports team didn't win, soon we would have very few schools with athletic programs. Seems like your definition of stupidity works for both sides. I don't see you understanding the rules that are in place. Noone cares if anyone transfers if they do it correctly. As far as telling me what I would do, you don't know me, so don't sit there and say that everyone would do it, even if it broke the rules. I will always say "the outcome doesn't always justify the road you took to get there".

I guess what I'm saying is that ALL of us HAVE broken the rules in Life! That's a FACT. We all have to face the decisions we have made in life. We all learn from our mistakes (some of us more than others) I don't see the point in anybody pointing out others mistakes when we ALL make plenty of our own! I say let the Tides that be and focus on we all can do to make a difference, be positive, help people, smile, laugh, and all of us put our damm fingers down and admit that none of us are better than any of us.

Guest JAKEBRAKE

How can this be any fun for the Gilmer coaching staff, they are gonna be under such a microscope. This is a disaster waiting to happen. They have no choice but to win state, anything less would be a world class disappointment that could set your program back for years.

I wish people would quit bringing up Moye evertime a transfer comes up. He at first moved into Lufkins ISD and wanted to go to Diboll where his Aunt is a coach. Rules say you have to live in District. So far everybody that has transferred to Gilmer has moved into that district so stop comparing these two different situations.

Originally posted by JAKEBRAKE

How can this be any fun for the Gilmer coaching staff, they are gonna be under such a microscope. This is a disaster waiting to happen. They have no choice but to win state, anything less would be a world class disappointment that could set your program back for years.

Jake i'm pretty sure that coach Traylor is aware of whats going on..right now..and honestly I don't think he has no choice to win state....he's always been a man that puts discipline in his football team....regardless of what some people think.....

Personally...

Your having a lot of high talent come into play in limited spots in the offense.

This might turn out to be the Texas High Tigers of 2002-2003 or the Lakers when they broke up.

As much as a fan of football and high profile transfers, I see no reason in moving from the city to the country towns because there are schools such as Plano that are getting some high class educations and getting ready for college. Some of the athletes here are taking below college entry courses trying to hopefully make the big time in D-1 in which the talent pool is huge.

Anyway if I was a coach, the mentality would be that I don't care who you bring in and what stadium we play at, our boys are trained to go strap on the jock and go to war.

Originally posted by Football17

I guess what I'm saying is that ALL of us HAVE broken the rules in Life! That's a FACT. We all have to face the decisions we have made in life. We all learn from our mistakes (some of us more than others) I don't see the point in anybody pointing out others mistakes when we ALL make plenty of our own! I say let the Tides that be and focus on we all can do to make a difference, be positive, help people, smile, laugh, and all of us put our damm fingers down and admit that none of us are better than any of us.

I will totally agree with you, although I don't believe this thread is about making mistakes or people believing they are better than someone else. I don't believe that to have a great world we should always let the Tides that be as you put it. I think that is one of the problems with our world, people using an excuss that it's OK just because everyone else is doing it. In fact if everyone was like your last statement, then our world would be a better place, but unfortunately they aren't, so we need rules so that things stay somewhat in control. Unfortunately many people spend a lot of energy trying to go around the rules. If they spent even half that amount of energy fixing the problems they have without moving, well all our school systems would be better. I liked your last post. Wish everyone WAS like that.

Originally posted by Smoaky

I may be wrong, but back then, a transfer was a cut and dried situation, especially if you were an underclassmen. And even if you were a senior, you had to have a great reason for the transfer.

Smoaky

You're not wrong. "Back in the day" a transfer sat out 1 year PERIOD, unless they were a senior.