Defenses your school runs

GoCatsGo

• 11 years later...
9 hours ago, Headhunter3207 said:

You do realize the coaches in the stands have no idea most of the time what offense or defense is being run?!?!?!  All they know is we need to stop someone

Very well said ....

Most everybody falls into the 5-2 or 4-2-5 (4-3 Over or Under with some variations of the Wide Tackle 6 look and the Split) - slight nod to the 5-2 from teams that I have seen over the last few years (but see a lot more use of the 4i now in their 5-2 schemes, especially vs true Spreads)  ... a few run the 3-3, but most just use it as a change-up now and then ... there are a few exotics still around like the Moore 10-1, which more or less evolved from the old 7-Diamond ... personally the most exotic I have seen lately is Rusk's version of the Desert Swarm - theirs is kind of a Double Eagle with drop ends ... 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DOB said:

Very well said ....

Most everybody falls into the 5-2 or 4-2-5 (4-3 Over or Under with some variations of the Wide Tackle 6 look and the Split) - slight nod to the 5-2 from teams that I have seen over the last few years (but see a lot more use of the 4i now in their 5-2 schemes, especially vs true Spreads)  ... a few run the 3-3, but most just use it as a change-up now and then ... there are a few exotics still around like the Moore 10-1, which more or less evolved from the old 7-Diamond ... personally the most exotic I have seen lately is Rusk's version of the Desert Swarm - theirs is kind of a Double Eagle with drop ends ... 

You have just blown the mind of over half of the readers of this forum. 

But you are dead right in your analysis, the 50 guys have moved to more of shade nose and a 4i or a true 3 tech on the backside to counter the spread zone concepts. 

4 minutes ago, CoachHancock said:

4-2-5 here with 3 and 2 and tight ends outside safety/linebacker combo have outside contain.  More of a zone than man unless blitzing 

One of the things I am noticing is more use of a 3-Tech and a down 9-Tech (what was really to us long ago as more like a True-End 8) to the Tight End side.

If we had tried that in the old days, we would have been laughed out of the clinic circuit ....

3 hours ago, DOB said:

One of the things I am noticing is more use of a 3-Tech and a down 9-Tech (what was really to us long ago as more like a True-End 8) to the Tight End side.

If we had tried that in the old days, we would have been laughed out of the clinic circuit ....

Because the old coach would have run power in the "C" gap all night, but the new ball coach ,is to smart for that and, will  throw some incomplete passes  at it.

• LOL! 1

22 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

Because the old coach would have run power in the "C" gap all night, but the new ball coach is to smart for that and will run throw some incomplete passes  at it.

I always ask young coaches:  "Do you have an OFFENSE? or do you just have a collection of PLAYS?

There's a BIG difference ... many can no longer even answer the question.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DOB said:

I always ask young coaches:  "Do you have an OFFENSE? or do you just have a collection of PLAYS?

There's a BIG difference ... many can no longer even answer the question.

You are so right, there is a huge difference. It is one thing to add a play each week to take advantage of what the defense is giving you.

It something entirely different when you look like a totally different team each week on offense because you have changed your philosophy completely.

Do you coach at Tatum???

14 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Tackle the man with the ball.  It is the easiest one to learn. Kids begin to play it in their back yard at an early age without even needing to be coached.

But they don't play that around the neighborhood anymore, and schools won't let them play it during recess (due to insurance/liability), so the kids have a much harder time dealing with contact.

I heard one coach lament this a few years ago. He said that kids aren't even used to falling down anymore. "One hard tackle and they come to sideline gimpy." 

• Like 1