Ricky vs. Earl

max89

Originally posted by KirtFalcon

I remember someone telling me Earl Campbell ran 9.6 in the 100 yard dash in high school. Not being from Tyler, I don't know if that's true, but I don't think Ricky Williams was anywhere near that fast! Campbell played a lot bigger than Williams in my opinion and was much stronger.

I also think Ricky had much better offensive linemen to run behind than Earl.

Sorry not buying he ran a 9.6..the World Record right now is 9.76 So your saying in the 70's he not only beat today's WR but would have demolished it.

As far as who had the better OL...Everyone is acting like Williams played on these amazing teams..He was on a couple ok teams, a really bad team, and one team that overachieved.

Cambell played for a NC his SR year, and played for another ten win team as well.

So Cambell's Horn won because of him and the defense and no one else? Sorry but the Horns were known for their good Line play in the 70's. At most the lines were even.

Again I am not defending Williams as the best..I think they are both on the same rung as being the best RBs in UT to this point.

Originally posted by TxEaglecaller
Originally posted by KirtFalcon

I remember someone telling me Earl Campbell ran 9.6 in the 100 yard dash in high school. Not being from Tyler, I don't know if that's true, but I don't think Ricky Williams was anywhere near that fast!

Sorry not buying he ran a 9.6..the World Record right now is 9.76 So your saying in the 70's he not only beat today's WR but would have demolished it.

I said 9.6 in the 100 yard dash, not 100 meters . . . big difference! :whistle:

The youth of many of our posters really shows on this thread. For those too young to remember races being run in English measurements, Bob Hayes set a world record in the 100 YARD dash of 9.1 seconds way back in 1963. I have no idea what Earl might have done. But 9.6 is not out of the question. Many posters have mentioned that Ricky played fullback his first 2 years. Earl played fullback his first 3 years in a wishbone offense, where most running plays for the fullback were straight dive plays right up the middle. If you are going to make a judgment on these two guys based on statistics alone, then you are making an uninformed judgement. You had to see Earl to understand just how good he was.

There are alot of people who still have health problems from trying to tackle Earl. He didn't try to out run you, he just left a squash mark.

Williams was a great back also but I'd take Earl. jmo

Originally posted by EasTexHorn

The youth of many of our posters really shows on this thread. For those too young to remember races being run in English measurements, Bob Hayes set a world record in the 100 YARD dash of 9.1 seconds way back in 1963. I have no idea what Earl might have done. But 9.6 is not out of the question. You had to see Earl to understand just how good he was.

Anyone who saw them both in their prime knows Earl Campbell was the greatest running back to wear a Longhorn uniform. The vast majority of those who disagree never saw Earl early in his career! :w00t:

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by lobo4life

I've only heard stories about Earl. I was able to watch Ricky.

Collegiately, I think Ricky was pretty darn good. He basically set the all-time rushing mark in 2 years as he was the FB or 2nd RB the first 2 years he was on campus. Just imagine how many yards he would have finished his career with had he been the featured back his entire career.

That said, I can't choose either one because I was never able to watch Earl play. I'll have to rely on the older and wiser posters on this one as they were able to see both of them in action.

beleive me saw both and would have to take Earl. Ricky was great college player. as earlier poster said Earl was as faster and could break more tackles

Tough to say. Would not want to try to tackle either one of them. Maybe I could get lucky and push them out of bounds if I had a head start and the angle. Probably not, I would get stiff-armed onto my backside hitting head first. One thing that I do know is that they are both reverred at UT. They are both recognized by the singular name "Earl" and "Ricky". That alone is a sign of greatness. The animation of "Earl" and "Ricky" sending the Horns onto the field at DKR-Memorial Stadium is awesome. I am wondering when they will incorporate Vince into the pre-game graphics.

not even a contest....earl was one of the 3 greatest running backs in college history. he could take it outside if he needed but inside he was a bulldozer with enough speed to pull-away on occasion. earl was mean, tough, explosive, determined but more than anything he was dependable and a leader....

don't think you could say all those things about ricky

Originally posted by CAPTTIGER

not even a contest....earl was one of the 3 greatest running backs in college history. he could take it outside if he needed but inside he was a bulldozer with enough speed to pull-away on occasion. earl was mean, tough, explosive, determined but more than anything he was dependable and a leader....

don't think you could say all those things about ricky

Yeah he was probably one of the greatest running backs in college history, but wouldn't you think ricky is as well. To hard to compare these too, but the name earl campbell is hard to argue with.