Israel

Straw

Originally posted by woodgie07

It's cool that Israel is fighting for its freedom and all, but the situation is just terrible. I understand that Hezbollah occupies southern Lebanon (which borders Israel) and that they are terrorists and such. However, too many innocent Lebanese citizens are being killed. I believe the official count is well over 300.

It appears that Israel is being reckless with their bombings. However, they are in a very difficult spot. It is a tough, tough issue because the Hezbollah will not agree to a ceasefire, and they are among so many innocent civilians. All the while, Israel is fighting because it is what they have to do to survive.

The whole situation is just awful for the people of Lebanon. Lebanon has had so much to deal with in its existence (being invaded by Syria, the assassinations last year), and just when it seems they will finally be able to live in peace, this happens. To my understanding, the Republic of Lebanon has never attacked another country and does not support terrorism.

You failed to mention the damage the Hezbellah rockets are doing. This is not a one sided war.

Hezbollah is a political party, so all of the members are Lebanese citizens...they can't exactly kick them out of the country. Like I said, it's a tough situation for both the Israelis and the Lebanese. I am by no means condemning what Israel is doing.

Hezbolla is a TERRORIST ORGANIZATION and if I had to guess, most of the members of that group are Iranians and Syrians. The Lebanese citizens can't rise up and take control of their country because they have been disarmed by the UN and other organizations who claimed to be protecting them. I say, arm the Lebanese people and allow THEM to join the fight against Hezbolla as well. Like those of us who are in the NRA have always said: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have them.

Israel is doing what they are doing because the UN is useless and the US set the precedent that it's okay to unilaterally go against the UN.

Lebanon and Hezbollah are red herrings for Iran to play for time for their nuke program, and all the while it's taking world focus off of North Korea.

Is Israel right to do what they are doing? Who's to say what's right and wrong in this situation? I will say I feel sorry for the Lebanese people who are caught in the middle of this.

Israel's attack on Lebanon has become beyond the intent of their stated purpose. Hezbollah is a militant and political group within Lebanon with strong ties to Syria and Iran. They are an entity within the Lebanese state. To destroy civil buildings, shutdown the airport and sea ports, blow up bridges and major roads, and criple the economy will in turn create a bigger enemy than the one it is trying to get rid of.

Lebanon used to be called the "Paris" of the Middle East. Luxurious Ski Resorts were literally minutes drive from the beatiful beaches. Tourism is Lebanon's largest industry, now completly destroyed.

I have a friend who's family lives in Lebanon. This was very much a surprise to them. Water is unsafe. And the electricty is unreliable. They are very affraid. The friend has a cousin who just recently opened a cafe, their bread supply is running short and expect to have less than a weeks worth left. Bread is a staple. They said if you can't get bread, you're going hungry.

But I guess that's war, or whatever you call this. My thought is it's just a distraction from the bigger problem here, the nigh nuclear elephant in the living room.

Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

I think this is the time for the US and Israel to join forces not just diplomatically, but militarily as well. Think of what we could accomplish.

We already have, Dubya......where do you think Israel acquired all of their military hardware? We have been dealing them arms, armor, aircraft and warships for years now, and that is definitely not going to stop any time soon......Israel is a powerful ally of ours in the mideast and it best serves the interests of the US to keep them strong militarily and financially, which we have been doing all along......

Originally posted by jasonattsu

We already have, Dubya......where do you think Israel acquired all of their military hardware? We have been dealing them arms, armor, aircraft and warships for years now, and that is definitely not going to stop any time soon......Israel is a powerful ally of ours in the mideast and it best serves the interests of the US to keep them strong militarily and financially, which we have been doing all along......

Which in itself can be scary too. I shudder to think if world events came to a point where Israel was at odds with us, either through circumstance or an insane leader. It happened with Iraq, and it's troubling to think it could very well happen again.