Best Quick, Easy, and CHEAP meals

fiftysix

Originally posted by parentofredheads

How many recipes do you want? Since I have 2 teenaged growing boys, maybe I can help. Just U2U me, and I'll be more than happy to give you all my tips.

Truthfully, I'm to the point of getting a milk cow, as much as milk is and how much the boys go through it... whew!

Milk and bread cost me more in a week than gas. I have a 16 and 15 year old boys. They can EAT.

1/2 pound of stew meat, half a white onion, and a cup of rice with some soy and teriyaki sauce makes a pretty decent stir fry. The meat is sometimes pretty tough, but if you beat it up first and add a little tenderizer to it, it's pretty dadgum good. I lived off of that for basically an entire semester. Also, watch the sale adds. In my opinion, Target has cheaper off brand foods than Wal-mart and Brookshires. They also taste better.

Kill a deer, have someone turn it all (except the backstrap) into ground meat and make tacos until you can't stand it anymore. Then use the ground deer to make spaghetti or chili mac or whatever you like. Can't get much cheeper than that.

Originally posted by Rhino2K4

Ground sausage, scrambled eggs and potatoes served in a flour tortilla.

I love making these. Taquitos is what I call them. I don't use sausage, though. Just potato, egg, and cheese.

Cheapest overall, buy a half a beef, if you have room in the freezer; buy chicken legs in the big packages; buy whole chickens when they're on sale. Go to the bread store and load up, you'd be surprised how far only $20 goes. Go to Farmer's Market for fresh veggies if you don't have your own garden - check everyone's price, then buy.

Classic fast meal - roast, chuck or whatever, stick it in the crock pot, a package of onion soup mix, 1 can of mushroom soup, cut up an onion, potatoes and some carrots, throw it in there - makes fantastic gravy - one meal all nice and tidy.

When eggs are on sale, 1 dozen eggs, about a handful of grated cheese, scramble; and then either sausage or bacon in, wrap with a flour tortilla - boys love this for breakfast. Should make around 10-11 breakfast burritos. Plastic wrap individually.

Make homemade biscuits, split, put a piece of sauage, with a quarter slice of cheese in it. (I have a fantastic recipe for biscuits) I plastic wrap two.

Goulash - 1 pound of hamburger meat, one cut-up onion, can of tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, and macaroni, and then fix up some cornbread .... yummmmy.

When corn is on sale, if your family likes corn, buy tons of it - freeze whole ear or cut off kernels and freeze. Squash, clean it, cut it and freeze it.

Classic macaroni and cheese - make the macaroni, pour in a bit of milk, and cut up small pieces of velvetta, stir till melted.

Easy cheesecake - buy a graham cracker crust, can get at the Dollar Store for $1; 2 packages of Philadelphia cream cheese, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, 2 eggs, cream, pour into crust, either stick in freezer for quick setting or put in fridge. Then put, if you want, half a can of blueberries, or maybe some fresh ones you got at the Farmer's market.

Apple bread - the classic apple cake recipe, except make your own applesauce - 4-5 apples sliced (don't peel), 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of sugar, a little water, zip the food processor... add pecans or walnuts, if you like; stick in a loaf pan and cook - boys love this for snack or breakfast.

Other snacks - dipping vegetables in ranch dressing - make your own ranch dressing, buy the large carrots and peel, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Fruit snacks - kiwi, apples, strawberries, cantaloupe, etc. just throw a bunch of stuff in there and then make the sweet dipping sauce. If your kids like watermelon - load up on it, send for lunches - very refreshing.

Uncle Ben's has rice that you can microwave straight in the packages now without using water or anything. All you have to do is open the top and put it in for 90 seconds. There are all kinds of different flavors and they're only 99 cents.

I use that with these new Bird's Eye vegetables that you can put straight in the microwave without opening them or anything. It takes five and a half minutes to cook, and it steams the vegetables right in the bag. They're around two dollars, and put the rice and vegetables together with salt and pepper, and it fills you up for three bucks.

College life rocks.

Originally posted by Five0pd310

I figured you would have broke out the ol' peanur butter and mayonaise on crackers idea. That one still has me cringing. :pinch:

you eat PB and mayo together? that has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of

Originally posted by coachb

I figured you would have broke out the ol' peanur butter and mayonaise on crackers idea. That one still has me cringing. :pinch:

you eat PB and mayo together? that has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of

You can always opt for sardines and cream cheese on a Ritz, a little splash of Tabasco and you are in heaven.

:cat:

You can survive on Picante' sauce/chips and beer!

If you truely are serious... Refried beans and tortillias is as cheap as it gets... I am just glad that your not my roomate!!!

Fire in the hole! Break out the matches!

Kill a deer, have someone turn it all (except the backstrap) into ground meat and make tacos until you can't stand it anymore. Then use the ground deer to make spaghetti or chili mac or whatever you like. Can't get much cheeper than that.

CHEAP??

$400-up for a deer lease

$400-up for gun

$ huntin license

$ corn for feeder

$ four wheeler

$ gas for several trips to deer lease and for 4 wheeler

$ having the meat processed

$ huntin clothes

$ food for deer lease

$$$$ beer

man that is cheaper then a pound of ground hamburger meat??:whistle:

Originally posted by fiftysix

i spend way too much money on food, gimme some help here....

Ramen noodles, and cans of chili.....you just can't go wrong there.....It is part of many a college kid's diet or for someone that just doesn't feel like actually making a list and shopping, lol.....

• 3 months later...

Get some tortilla chips, bean dip, and a package of your favorite shredded cheese. knife a layer of bean dip on each chip, nuke em', and you have a VERY tasty quick plate of food! This also goes great with some Alberts hot sauce!

Or, my wife takes some of that Tuna Helper Tetrazini. Use chicken instead of tuna. Once it is all finished cooking (10 minutes tops) pour it in a casserole dish, cover it with cheddar cheese, throw it in a 350 oven for 5 minutes and presto! Tastes ALMOST as good as moms chicken spaghetti! Will also make for some excellent leftovers for a couple of days as well!