Mavs VS. Lobos

EFSTING

Longview Vs. Marshall

This is Texas High School Football lore. I mean... come on!!! UIL can say this is a 90- something year old rivalry, but history shows that it's been going since at least the 1890's.

Longview and Marshall are 18 miles apart. Both have storied programs. Both have long winning/losing streaks against the other.

The Rivalry is about as close as a series this long can be with the Lobos leading 49-41-5.

This year will be the 96th official game. But..... it's probably more like 110-120th.

It was a intense when it was a district game and the playoffs were on the line for both teams. The fact that it happened between these two teams so often just sweetened the pot. Especially when it was a week 10 game. Those were I N T E N S E.

A few years ago there was a GREAT article about this rivalry in the Marshall News Messenger. I'm going to see if I can find it and post it on here. It talks about how intense it is and how important it is to both communities. Especially in the days of district rivalry. Some funny funny stuff in there.

And while the media may not think the rivalry is as good as it use to be.... and may not hype it up like they use to, it's still important. Especially to the guys on the field I can tell you first hand...... those guys in the red and white uniforms want to beat Longview as bad as they want to beat Kilgore, Hallsville , or Highland Park. And it's my guess that those guys in Longview don't want to have any part in having a 4A school beat them.

So..... I don't buy the idea that this game has fizzled. My guess is that Lobo Stadium will be overflowing on week 1. Just like old times.

I'm gonna find that article and post it. It's great reading!

GO MAVS!

Longview/Marshall will NEVER be a bad rivalry. When the two teams meet, rankings, classifications, records, ALL go out the window. It is about team pride, school pride, community pride. Bragging rights for one more year. When the game is over, I will support Marshall all the way, just as I would Longview, but during that game, I bleed Green and Gold. I can still remember the game when Longview was #1 in the state, they had beaten Midland Lee the week before. Marshall came into Lobo Stadium, and beat the Lobos in front of an overflowing 12,000+ crowd. It was a sad time b/c the Lobos lost, but the atmosphere was great. It was an experience. Only can be rivaled, in my opinion, by the Lufkin/Longview game in front of 25,000+ at SFA a few years ago.

Like MavChamp said, I don't think this series/rivalry/game has fizzled out at all. Both teams still hate each other as much as they used to and it's obvious out on the field.

It's going to be hot. It's going to be humid..and thank God I don't have to sit into the sun this year :clap: .

But most of all, it's going to be what East Texas High School Football is all about...Again like MavChamp said, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we had 10,500+ plus at the game.

Here's to Longview's 50th win over the Marshall Mavericks! :happy65: