District 12-4A up for grabs

KirtFalcon

By Brandon Ogden

The Daily Sentinel

Sunday, August 20, 2006

District 17-4A was one of the toughest districts in the state the last two years.

A minor change of the numbers by the UIL — changing the district from 17-4A to 12-4A — didn't do anything to weaken this power district.

The race appears to be as wide open as it has ever been.

Nacogdoches, Marshall, Kilgore and Hallsville appear to be the top four teams, while the bottom four consists of Henderson, Whitehouse, Jacksonville and Pine Tree.

But don't be surprised if some top teams drop and some bottom teams rise, before it's all said and done.

Here is a breakdown of the district, with my order of finish.

1. Marshall: The Mavericks lost a lot from last year's 13-2, Class 4A Division I state finalist team, including big bruiser running back Jackie Robinson (Trinity Valley) and athletes Justin Jones (Utah) and Junior Osborne (Texas Southern).

Marshall still has a lot of talent returning, and head coach Rodney Southern has built a program that is used to winning after two straight state final appearances.

The team returns defensive end Demetrius Wilder, who was voted by the media as the preseason defensive player of the year. He had 60 tackles, including nine for losses, last season.

Kicker Rigo Casas is also a big returner. He nailed 5-of-10 field goals and was 33-of-38 on extra points.

There is a lot of competition, but Marshall should repeat as district champs.

2. Nacogdoches: Can the Dragons finally end their playoff drought and reach the postseason for the first time since 1992?

Yes. Here's why:

The team returns a lot of players from last season's team that went 6-4 and 4-3 in district, its first winning season since 1992 in head coach Bill Harper's first season.

Now, the team has a full season under its belt under Harper and hopes to use that experience to reach the playoffs.

Junior quarterback Justin McAninch and senior wide receiver Mervin Dudley will lead an offense that is experienced at the skilled positions.

3. Hallsville: The district schedule doesn't look pretty, since the Bobcats have to go to Nacogdoches, Marshall and Kilgore.

But Hallsville still looks like a playoff team.

The Bobcats have their three main skilled players returning: quarterback Shane Fry, running back Kendrick Survia and wide receiver Darius Valentine, who went by Darius Reece last season.

Hallsville should steal one or two on the road and sneak in the third playoff spot.

4. Kilgore: The Bulldogs just don't look the same.

The Bulldogs will be without defensive powerhouses like Eddie Jones, who is now at the University of Texas, and Wayne Daniels.

Also missing will be tight end Britt Mitchell (Texas) and the quarterback from the state title team, Chase Fisher.

Running back Jerek Sheffield, who rushed for 1,850 yards last season for 14 touchdowns, returns. He will run behind Michael Huey, a 6-4, 290-pound offensive lineman who has given his oral committment to Texas.

The Bulldogs could fall anywhere in the top four spots, but will likely miss out of the playoffs.

5. Whitehouse: Luke Shivers should be able to lead the Wildcats to a few wins.

Yes, the outstanding running back from Whitehouse is finally a senior.

He rushed for 1,530 yards and touched the end zone 12 times last season.

His running mate will be Jimmy Kennedy, giving Whitehouse a dynamic rushing attack.

6. Jacksonville: While this isn't the same Indians' team that has been one of the top district teams in the past few seasons, it has some bright spots.

Running back Carmon Boyd-Anderson and offensive tackle Joe Villavisencio lead the running game.

The Indians have the ability to make a run at the playoffs because of their athleticism. But it doesn't look likely.

7. Henderson: The Lions lost star quarterback Kylon Henson. But his main target, Jake Deville, returns. He caught 33 passes for 531 yards last season.

Who will get him the ball?

Henderson also has a solid offensive line in place.

The Lions are one of those teams that could sneak up a few spots.

8. Pine Tree: The Pirates look to be the cellar dwellers, again.

Matt Hughes returns at quarterback to lead a decent passing attack, but the other areas are just too weak for the Pirates to have any kind of impact on the district.

Yeah TJC Rookie, I believe that a LOT of people are underestimating the Indians this year. I think that they will be very competitive in this district (probably losing only to Marshall and Hallsville.) It's gonna be fun to see. ;)

Marshall still has a lot of talent returning, and head coach Rodney Southern has built a program that is used to winning after two straight state final appearance.

2. Nacogdoches: Can the Dragons finally end their playoff drought and reach the postseason for the first time since 1992?

Running back Jerek Sheffield, who rushed for 1,850 yards last season for 14 touchdowns, returns. He will run behind Michael Huey, a 6-4, 290-pound offensive lineman who has given his oral commitment to Texas.

The Bulldogs could fall anywhere in the top four spots, but will likely miss out of the playoffs.

Maybe someday Coach Vallery will be able to build a winning tradition at Kilgore. Oh wait I seem to remember that he has never missed the playoffs while at Kilgore. And as for Nac. lets wait and see before we give them a playoff spot.

Sheffield will have another big year (2000+ yards). You are right Kilgore will not look the same but in the end they will be in the same spot as before playing Marshall for the district championship!!

There will be one or two good teams that miss the playoffs, however, I cannot fathom that Kilgore would be one of them. Arrange the top 4 just about any way you want, but the Bulldogs will be in the postseason.

While I don't see Nac finishing 2nd, they could easily sneak into the playoffs.

Kilgore missing the playoffs???

Nacogdoches in second place???

Jacksonville in 6th???

That's a tough sell....... if you can get someone to buy that you may as well unload that swamp land in Florida you got.

Here's my stab on thing.

1. Hallsville- If the Bobcats don't win district with the talent they have this year, it's hard to fathom them winning it again anytime soon. This is probably one of the most experience laden teams in the district. They have a stong QB.... and Mr. Survia could prove to be one of the top running backs in the region.

After that....... things get real muddled to me.

2/3 or 3/2 Marshall and Kilgore. Both lost a ton of players from teams that have been dominate the last 2 seasons. But now a bulk of those players are gone from both teams. Kilgore seems to be in the mode of reloading, not rebuilding. Hard to pick against them knowing that fact. Marshall, trying to build the same program is coming off a district title and back to back title games. There is plenty of experice from the bench. Plus talent from JV and Frosh teams that both won district.

4. Jacksonville- Jacksonville, like Kilgore, has been a playoff mainstay. And people should remember that J--ville WAS a playoff team last season. They were booted on a ticky-tack paperwork snafu. Pretty cheap IMO. J-ville has talent and could easily be in that tie with Marshall and Kilgore.

5. Nacogdoches- Nac takes another step and could most definately upset anyone in the top 4. But beat 3 of them? not likely. Besides Nac fans, Marshall fans would love to see Nac succeed. Nac in the playoffs would send the Dragons to Division I, taking on Texas High in the first round.

6. Whitehouse- The Wildcats have Mr. Shivers. That's enough talent to get them some wins. Defense always seems to betray WH. THe same will be true in 06.

7. Henderson- New coach. New system. That usually adds up to a long tough season.

8. Pine Tree- I think they will be better than last year. Maybe no more games of the "fast clock".

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Catmaniac

Is the "Daily Sentinel" Nacogdoches' Newspaper?

I would guess it is having Nac that highly rated. If not, then someone is seeing more than I am.

You would be right, it's the Nacogdoches paper. I thought everyone would get a kick out of how much they think the Dragons have improved. :w00t:

I think that Hallsville will be the district champs but Marshall will be right there challenging them for the #1 spot. Third is gonna be crazy with Kilgore, Jacksonville, Nac, and my darkhorse, Whitehouse, all in the mix. We'll just have to see how that plays out.

63bdd I don't think that Sheffield will get 2000 yds. this year do to the fact that Kilgore's O-line last year was very good. I do see him picking up 1200-1500 yds. though.

Originally posted by cat1214

63bdd I don't think that Sheffield will get 2000 yds. this year do to the fact that Kilgore's O-line last year was very good. I do see him picking up 1200-1500 yds. though.

I think Sheffield could easily lead the district in rushing. Kilgore likes to run the ball and Vallery will get the o-line where he needs them. As for last year, remember that Sheffield shared time for the first half of the regular season and still finished with 1,800 yards.

I'm pretty sure J-ville would have been in the playoffs even with their loss to Nac.

Can you imagine going out onto the field against Nac KNOWING that no matter what you do, that was your last game. after being pretty sure you were a playoff team. Totally deflating.

I would guess.... if J-ville had gone into the Nac game with playoffs on their mind.... the game would have been COMPLETELY different. Just my opinion. But that was 2005. This is 2006.

J-ville has a program. Nac is stilll building one.

Originally posted by cat1214

I think that Hallsville will be the district champs but Marshall will be right there challenging them for the #1 spot. Third is gonna be crazy with Kilgore, Jacksonville, Nac, and my darkhorse, Whitehouse, all in the mix. We'll just have to see how that plays out.

In watching Jax games, I take a deep breath everytime Sheffield, Shivers, or Survia get the ball. This district is full of great running backs.