Marshall vs Longview

footballfan115

Originally posted by MNMLady

Historically speaking Marshall loses this game. It could be a mental thing. They beat everyone last year except Longview in the first game of the season and Highland Park in the last.

Last year was not a "mental" thing it was a Longview was a loaded 5A team. As good as Marshall was in 4A, they did not have the same depth as Longview

As far as historically, the mental thing you speak of was almost 20 years ago when Marshall ended an 18 year losing streak in 1988. Then Marshall had a good run of years agianst Longview

Since Marshall has dropped to 4A, Longview has just been the better team, period.

The (OFFICAL) Series record is something like 50-40-5 in Longview's favor...So a ten game difference in 95 games is not IMO that much of a mental thing

Guest TtownEagle803

I just think Longview lost too much. Ofcourse Marshall lost big RB Jackie Robinson, but I think this is the year that Marshall pulls the upset.

Longview leads the series 49-41-5 according to UIL records that go back to 1909.

Unofficially.... the two have been playing since the late 1880's. Supposedly in the late 1890's Longview finally got a win over Marshall after about a decade of frustrations. Records weren't great back then.....so none of the games before 1909 are counted.

Both have had long winning streaks over the other.

Marshall's last win was in 2000 with a final of 38-28. In Marshall's last year of 5A play, the Mavs and the Lobos played in a 28-23 barnburner.

2002 saw Marshall reclassified into 4A, get a new coaching staff.... and saw what is now a 5 year winning streak for the Lobos.

The 2002 and 2003 games were just flat out domination by the Lobos.

I think 2004 improved. That was the game Marshall jumped out to a 15-0 lead. But the depth of the Lobos led to what ended up being a pretty big win. But....at least for 2.5 quarters, they were sweating.

2005 was just a case of a loaded Longview team showing the difference in 5A and 4A. It was close.... could have been closer, but Longview controlled the entire game. No question.

Now.... it's 2006. Both are having to replace massive numbers of players. This just might be one of the most even matchups the two have had since 2000 and 2001. Since 2002.... Longview has been one of the top 5A teams in Texas. So maybe this will be a good match up.

Both open next Friday against Louisiana schools. Marshall will play what I suspect to be a pretty weak Shreveport Huntington team. Longview will face West Monroe, who is picked one of the favs in La. BUT... WM was highly ranked last year too, and I watch the Lobos crush them at indy stadium. Part of me would not be suprised to see that again. So there is a chance both teams could be 1-0 when they meet. I think Marshall definately has the easier game to open the season.

I'll call it a draw for now. That's without seeing either team in action. I'll be watching the Mavs next Friday against Shreve Hunt... and I'll be at Indy on Sat to see Longview and WM. After that.... I may change my mind.

I call it a draw.

, and until I see anything to say otherwise, I would call Longview a average 5A team

I hope you aren't referring to us a historically average team.

We are 4th in 5a for most playoff appearances.

1 state title; 1 runner up

Top ten best record among 5a in last 40-50 years. And that in one of the fiercest districts in the state.

That my friend is not average.

WM was highly ranked last year too, and I watch the Lobos crush them at indy stadium.

it was 7-0 at half. one touchdown we scored in the last few minutes. It was really a close game WM just couldn't get the offense going. Our D was really good and it will be about the same as this year. I don't think we crushed them.

Originally posted by lobo99
, and until I see anything to say otherwise, I would call Longview a average 5A team

I hope you aren't referring to us a historically average team.

We are 4th in 5a for most playoff appearances.

1 state title; 1 runner up

Top ten best record among 5a in last 40-50 years. And that in one of the fiercest districts in the state.

That my friend is not average.

If i was referring to history I would have said the Longview PROGRAM, just like I referred to WM having a good PROGRAM.

I was talking about Longview TEAM of 2006