Marshall 14 Vs. Liberty Eylau 7

Mavchamp

This is today's Write up about Friday's scrimmage.

Mavericks defense plays well in 14-7 scrimmage win over Liberty-Eylau

By NANCY NILES, Sports Editor, Marshall News Messenger

Saturday, August 26, 2006

TEXARKANA – Andrew Clough rushed for 103 yards and one touchdown in the live-quarters section of the Marshall High School football team's scrimmage against Liberty-Eylau at Harris Field Friday.

Clough, who had 116 yards before being handed the ball on the team's final play of the game while simultaneously being taken down by a pair of awaiting defenders for a 13-yard loss, accumulated more yardage than the entire Liberty-Eylau offense in Marshall's 14-7 scrimmage win.

The scrimmage began with 15-play drives from their own 30-yard line. Each team got two shots at scoring within 15-plays and each time a team was unable to convert on a third down, the ball was reset to the 30-yard line.

After the drive portion was a pair of live quarters designed to simulate real game play, although with no clock stoppage and beginning at their their own 30-yard line, the teams had it a bit easier than they will next week as each school begins its regular season.

In the first half of the scrimmage, Marshall managed just one first down in their first 15-play drive, a 45-yard pass from quarterback Derrick Sneed to receiver Darius Jones.

Unfortunately that would be the only pass Sneed would complete until he connected with Jeramiah Fisher for a 6-yard gain in the live-quarters portion. Instead, Marshall's first drive ended with a fumble by K.D. Johnson that was recovered by the Leopards.

Liberty-Eylau scored in their first drive, converting two third downs in just six plays before running back LaMichael James busted through for a 30-yard touchdown.

Neither team scored in their second set of drives but Marshall did manage to avenge the lost fumble, scooping up one of their own before play switched to live action.

This is where Marshall dominated, scoring just 12 seconds into play off an 80-yard run by Clough, giving the Mavs a 7-0 early lead.

When the Leopards got the ball, they scrambled trying to find a back who could penetrate the Mavs rush defense. Three of the Leopards first five plays were for negative yardage before ultimately losing the ball on a fumble caused by strong safety Lamar Green and recovered by linebacker Sawyer Hall.

"The thing we always say is if we can go through a 10-game season and stop the run, we'll be okay against the pass because most teams are run oriented," Marshall defensive coordinator Thedrick Harris said. "I thought we played well against the run. I thought we tackled well and I thought our defensive line was outstanding."

It took the Mavs just three plays in their second possession to score again thanks to a 40-yard rushing gain by Jones, an 8-yard run by Johnson and a subsequent 12-yard keeper score by Sneed with 6:24 showing on the clock in the first quarter of play.

The Leopards got one score back in their next possession after an eight-play march featuring three first downs. But that would be all Liberty-Eylau could muster, being forced to punt on a three-and-out in their final possession.

Liberty-Eylau finished the night with just 101 yards of total offense – 54 on the ground and 47 through the air. They worked nearly every running back they had, but never managed to do any damage against Marshall's defense. Eight different Leopards toted the ball, six of whom had only one carry and four of those were for negative yards.

James led Liberty-Eylau with four carries for 25 yards, but even he was caught in the backfield for a 3-yard loss.

Clough ended the live-quarters section of the scrimmage with seven carries for 103 yards followed by Sneed who contributed more with his legs than his arm.

Sneed ran for 39 yards on four carries including one touchdown but completed just 1-of-4 passing attempts for 6 yards and was picked off once.

The Mavs have one more week to prepare for regular-season play where they will face Shreveport-Huntington 7 p.m. Sept. 1 at Maverick Field in the first of three pre-district games designed to prepare the team for the rigors of district play.

Plenty of time, said Harris who thinks his defense will be ready.

"I think we can get there from here," Harris said. "Because the things I see are effort, kids trying to line up correctly, talking to one another and asking questions."

Looks like the Mav defense will be OK and the running game could be strong.

Passing game could be slow in developing.

Well.... 6 days and the real thing starts.

Can't wait.

image_4732124.jpg

Mavericks running back Andrew Clough breaks free from two Liberty-Eylau defenders to run for the first of two touchdowns during two live quarters of scrimmage action Friday in Texarkana. (Scott Brunner, Marshall News Messenger)

AND THEIR OFF!!!!

Season kick off for Marshall will be Friday night at Maverick Stadium hosting Shreveport Huntington. Game will be at 7:30.

Here is the article about the SAME game in the Texarkana Gazette. Where the writers at the same game??? LOL.

Enjoy!

Leopards holding their own

Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:08 PM CDT

L-E battles Marshall on even terms

By LOUIE AVERY

Texarkana Gazette

Liberty-Eylau’s third-ranked 3A football team learned a valuable lesson during a Friday night scrimmage with 4A powerhouse Marshall at Harris Field.

Once the lights were turned on and the scoreboard started ticking, it only took Marshall 12 seconds to get on the scoreboard with Andrew Clough romping 70 yards for a touchdown. That set the tone for the next 24 minutes of action, although the Leopards rallied in the final seconds of that first quarter with junior tailback LaMichael James scoring his second touchdown of the night on a 23-yard dash.

James also scored on a 31-yard run during the opening minutes of the scrimmage as the two state-ranked teams battled to a 2-2 draw.

“I was real happy with our effort,” L-E coach Pat Brady said. “We weren’t intimidated. I was really impressed how we started, but then we let up during the timed session of the scrimmage. If you let up, you’re done, and that’s what I told the kids afterwards. We had them on the ropes after the two 15-play sessions.”

But when all was said and done, this was just a scrimmage—a glorified practice session. Both teams were impressive with their regulars on the field, and both struggled when reserves took over.

L-E quarterback Will Middlebrooks had only one bad play, but it set up a touchdown for the Mavericks. He was sacked for an 18-yard loss and fumbled with Marshall recovering at the Leopards’ 39. It only took Marshall three plays to hit paydirt, quarterback Derrek Sneed plunging across on a 12-yard scoring run with 6:24 left in the timed session.

That score put Marshall on top 2-1, but Middlebrooks and James had L-E back in the end zone quickly. James finished the night with more than 100 yards, while Middlebrooks completed 6 of 7 passes for 82 yards. His only incompletion was a pass in the flat that was dropped. He also punted once for 58 yards.

The Mavericks threatened to put six more points on the scoreboard after James’ second TD, by Josh Hendershott intercepted a pass at his own goalline.

It was all second-teamers after that.

“Marshall played for the 4A state championship last year, so it’s saying a lot that we could hang with them evenly,” Brady said. “If it had been a real game I belive it would have been just as close, but this was a scrimmage and we were doing a lot of scheming just like Marshall was doing.

“Marshall’s defense is blowing and going all the time, and when you make a mistake they make you pay. I thought we were sloppy in last week’s scrimmage with Jefferson, and looked much better tonight.”

During the early part of the scrimmage L-E piled up 112 yards in 15 plays. The Leopards were limited to 85 yards in the timed session, mainly because they have five negative runs.

Marshall averaged more than 10 yards per carry, piling up 173 yards on 16 plays.

L-E opens its season at home next week against North Lamar. The Mavericks also open at home against Huntington, La.

You know, that's a good question since I didn't see any other writers up there. There was a PA guy and two other LE guys who just chatted with the PA guy, some filmers upstairs and two Lobo scout coaches to my right. That's it. So your guess is as good as mine.

But this is also what happens when two people see things from different points of view. He was counting touchdowns at one point each and if you include the one before the live-quarters (when the clock was turned on) then sure, it would have been 2-2. But then again, LE was flagged during that drive and no yardage was marked off so if they could have made that up anyway is anyone's guess. A flag was also throw when James crossed into the endzone but the refs made no signal whatsoever. They simply turned the ball over and moved it back to the 30-yard line. I described the TD but didn't assign it any points for two reasons, the flags which were never addressed AND more importantly, there was NO scorekeeping in that section of the scrimmage. Only the live-quarters section where points were assigned and recorded on the scoreboard and pentalies were actually called acted up on.

If I was LE I'd want to count that TD during the drives too. It makes them look better. The only real difference I see between the two stories aside from whether you count that TD or not is how long Clough's run was. They had no yardage markers except for some cones which the LE team stood in front of the entire game (on the press box side at least). But I must concede that since they started from the 30-yard line that the other writer is probably right. It makes sense. Of course it may have just been my brain thinking it SHOULD have been the 20 (like in a real game).

Oh well. So their writer gives them an extra TD and I give Marshall's running back and extra 10 yards. I'd call us even.

I was one of the two L-E guys you were talking about. I'm they guy that mistakenly told you L-E lost in regional final instead of state semifinal because I forget L-E had a game canceled by Hurricane Katrina. I've been covering high school football for nearly 40 years and every scrimmage I've been associated with is referred to as 1-0, 2-2, etc. And the first part of the scrimmage has always been just as significant as the timed session. Those stats and scores also count in the scrimmage, not just the part where the clock runs. Also, I was walking the sideline when L-E scored the TD that you didn't count. Both coaches agreed penalties would not be marked off. How do you know the penalty on L-E's first TD was not on Marshall and that L-E would have declined?

It really matters little because this was just a scrimmage. Neither team had their best players on the field all the time. If you go back and read my account you'll see that I said Marshall dominated the part on the clock. What really bothered me is that you would go on this board and say you were the only writer there and call me an L-E guy without knowing. I've had a bad week with all the work on our football section, so please forgive me, but I feel better already. I'll be surprised if both teams in question don't have successful seasons.

Sort of a strange scrimmage, in my neutral view. LE clearly got the better of thing during the initial controlled part of the scrimmage. During the timed part, Marshall dominated on both sides of the ball.

I saw the flag thrown on the long touchdown run by LE in the controlled part. The wideout and cornerback were locked up. I couldn't tell from the stands whether it truly was holding or not, but I am almost 100% certain that the official's call was holding against LE. Do you count it or not? It really doesn't matter. Keeping score in a scrimmage serves no purpose at all. The kids got to get in some work against viable competition. Both teams benefit. Call it 2-1, call it 2-2, call it 14-7, call it 0-0. When the teams line up this Friday, they are 0-0 and looking forward to a good season.

Leopard, since it appeared that the LE guys were just #### chatting (or arguing about what round the team made it to last year as the case may be) and I didn't see anyone taking down stats or play-by-play I assumed you were just working the game. Forgive my assumption but I never said I was the only writer up there, I said I didn't "see" anyone else.

As far as scorekeeping goes. It's about 50-50 the number of reporters who report the scores as 7 pts for a TD or just 1.

In the Hallsville-Longview scrimmage BOTH reporters for those teams (two different newspapers, by the way) reported the score in 7 pts for TDs.

I did include LE's TD in the story and did NOT mention the pentalties since, as you said, I was not informed of, or privy to, the cause or result of the flag. I reported it as a bona fide TD, therefore the readers were made aware of EVERY score in that game WITHOUT bias. It was also made clear to readers that the 14-7 score was ONLY for the live-quarters section as confirmed by your scoreboard.

I think you mistaking my personal comments outside of the story on this thread with what was actually written in the article. I stand by my decision and had Marshall scored in the first-section I would have mentioned it separate from live-quarters action just the same as I did for LE. I also stand by my personal opinion that the TD was questionable at best, however that personal opinion was NOT relayed in the article.

You obviously don't agree and I respect your opinion. I only wish to clear up your inference that I misreported the game and/or the score. As far as I can tell, the only mistake was the length of the TD run by the Marshall running back and that was just a brainfart thinking that the line of scrimmage was at the 20 instead of the 30 where it was for scrimmmage purposes. The other differences are a matter of writer preference or perspective.

The good news is that it was a scrimmage and what either of us write is of little or no consequence. I think your team looked good Friday and I wish them all the best this season.

Guest ScoutsOut

Louie Avery...The guy is pathetic...I believe he writes articles based on hersay and is a biased homer whom doesnt have a credible bone in his body....He probably wasnt even there....

This is my opinion and does not reflect the expressed or unexpressed opinions of the owners or affiliates of this site or any other persons posting on this site..:freak:

It is not just newspaper folks that argue over scrimmages. Has anyone been reading post from this last week? Kilgore/Tatum...who won? Depends on who you ask......and what winning is. There really is no such thing as winning a scrimmage. There are no official records kept, and there are so many things that factor into a real game that are not included in a scrimmage. Substitutions, field position, extra points, field goals, special teams in general, momentum swings, time of possession, 4th downs, blitzes, trickery, last but not least turnovers, and etc. etc. etc. etc. etc............

OH, and officials really officiating..........now there is something you can get ready to really argue over this upcoming week. There will be somebody that gets beat this week come on here and blame the officiating!

GEEZ people - that's why there are U2U messages available for this board - so you can argue the finer points of "Sports Reporting 101 - Men vs. Women" in private.

I guess that's why they call it "local coverage" - because sometimes you just can't keep your personal opinion from bleeding through the print. The Texarkana Gazette staff will never be found guilty of being the lone offender in that category.

I also guess we all "see" what we want to "see" too. I watched this scrimmage and could have sworn I "saw" Brian Porter score a clean TD for LE - but I haven't "seen" his name mentioned anywhere.

Good Luck Mavericks - Good Luck Leopards

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL ??????

Guest ScoutsOut
Originally posted by Sftball4Life

GEEZ people - that's why there are U2U messages available for this board - so you can argue the finer points of "Sports Reporting 101 - Men vs. Women" in private.

All you're doing now is opening yourselves up for comments like ScoutsOut just made - you know the ones that are better served being kept to yourself.

I guess that's why they call it "local coverage" - because sometimes you just can't keep your personal opinion from bleeding through the print. The Texarkana Gazette staff will never be found guilty of being the lone offender in that category.

Good Luck Mavericks - Good Luck Leopards

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL ??????

This isnt the first time I have made a comment about this persons reporting or my opinion of his credibility and probably wont be the last.

I dont think anyone here needs you to tell them what and "what not" is better kept to themselves. If you are Avery, then by personally attacking me or calling me out I say to you "touche", but if your not your better served by attacking someone else...If I have misread your comment that included my nick, then feel free to accept my most humblest of appoligies.....Thanks a Bunch...

Edited in: And another thing, this forum is a forum for debate, opinions, discussions etc. who or why do you think that your opinon is anything more worthy than anyone elses and all others dependent on your opinion needs or deserves to be discussed or argued within a U2U? How much more arrogant can you get?...Yet you express your opinion within the thread dependent on a response or a validation of your ideas as legitimate, instead of choosing to use the U2U?....Eck!

My bad ScoutsOut - I sent your U2U.

My apologies to our two reporters. As my friend has so graciously pointed out, everyone is entitled to express their opinions on this board. Lots of money is made on a daily basis arguing sports opinions - this one just seemed more like a "how to do my job" issue that really didn't have much to do with either team. And as has already been pointed out - that's just my un"worthy" opinion....

That and $3.00 might buy you a gallon of gasoline. :tongue:

I don't think anyone minds constructive criticism, unless they are a titbag.

But his post came across to me as arrogant and condescending....and it wasn't even directed to me. And that 40 years doesn't mean squat to me when your rude.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with all of you and appreciate those who stuck up for me. The truth of the matter is, I got defensive and having thin skin is a real no-no is my line of work. Gotta get toughened up I guess, because this is far from the last time I'm gonna hear a difference of opinion on a game I reported on. You wouldn't believe how many "officials" are in the stands, and coincidentally parents of the players, lol.

But Taxman is correct, there is no win-loss in a scrimmage, unfortunately it's our job as reporters to let the readers in our area know how their team did hence reporting their performance as either a win or a loss.

***A shout out to all you Marshall area fans, don't hesitate to email me with any ideas or suggestions for this coming season. I swear I read every email I get and seriously consider every idea or opinion. It's how I grow as a person and a reporter. So keep it comin'!

Looking forward to a great season for all our ET teams!!

Originally posted by MNMLady

The truth of the matter is, I got defensive and having thin skin is a real no-no is my line of work. Gotta get toughened up I guess, because this is far from the last time I'm gonna hear a difference of opinion on a game I reported on.

I swear I read every email I get and seriously consider every idea or opinion. It's how I grow as a person and a reporter. So keep it comin'!

Looking forward to a great season for all our ET teams!!

Now - that's an impressive stance. Seriously.

BTW - several of us fans left the LE field last weekend telling everybody we lost the scrimmage 14-7 - because that's what the scoreboard said.

I don't know what the most popular scoring method for scrimmages is - or if there is a right or a wrong way. I've never really looked at it as anything more than a glorified practice with new faces and patterns to work against.