Something funny or amusing!

AnOldBuckeye

Most occurances on a football field, are either exciting, dull, awe inspiring, crazy, or plain ole unexplainable. But I'm sure all of us have witnessed something funny, or amusing on the field as well. Tell us something you personally have witnessed on the field, that was either funny, or amusing. And no fishermans stories. LOL

Since I brought it up, I'll go ahead and start. Back somewhere around 1959, or 1960 I was at a Buckeye game at the old (Henry) McClelland Field in Gilmer. I don't even remember who Gilmer was playing,,, after all I was only 10 or 11 years old. ;) You have to understand,, this was the time when contact lens were starting to gain popularity. We had a quarterback by the name of Kenneth Fielden, at least I'm about 80% sure he was playing quarterback at the time.

He happened to be wearing contacts during the game. Now this wasn't the modern kind of soft flexible contacts, but was the old stiff kind. During the game, after a play had been run, he went to one of the officials, and told him he had lost one of his contacts. They stopped the game,,, and had every player, and coach, on both teams, out there on their hands and knees looking for his lost contact. Even the officials were helping. It was a very bizarre site for sure,, .

Now,, believe it or not, one of the players saw it laying there in the grass, reflecting the lights from the stadium. They gave it to Jerry, and he went to the sidelines,, rinsed it off, and put the thing back in, and the game went on.

I can't tell you if we won the game or not,,, but I just know I won't ever forget the sight of all those guys out there down on their knees searching for a contact lens. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen happen on a football field.

When I was in 8th or 9th grade we were playing in a game and our receiver got hit after catching a wide receiver screen. His helmet turned 180 degrees on his head. It was so funny to see him get up off the ground with his facemask facing backwords.:D

Originally posted by AnOldBuckeye

Most occurances on a football field, are either exciting, dull, awe inspiring, crazy, or plain ole unexplainable. But I'm sure all of us have witnessed something funny, or amusing on the field as well. Tell us something you personally have witnessed on the field, that was either funny, or amusing. And no fishermans stories. LOL

Since I brought it up, I'll go ahead and start. Back somewhere around 1959, or 1960 I was at a Buckeye game at the old (Henry) McClelland Field in Gilmer. I don't even remember who Gilmer was playing,,, after all I was only 10 or 11 years old. ;) You have to understand,, this was the time when contact lens were starting to gain popularity. We had a quarterback by the name of Kenneth Fielden, at least I'm about 80% sure he was playing quarterback at the time.

He happened to be wearing contacts during the game. Now this wasn't the modern kind of soft flexible contacts, but was the old stiff kind. During the game, after a play had been run, he went to one of the officials, and told him he had lost one of his contacts. They stopped the game,,, and had every player, and coach, on both teams, out there on their hands and knees looking for his lost contact. Even the officials were helping. It was a very bizarre site for sure,, .

Now,, believe it or not, one of the players saw it laying there in the grass, reflecting the lights from the stadium. They gave it to Jerry, and he went to the sidelines,, rinsed it off, and put the thing back in, and the game went on.

I can't tell you if we won the game or not,,, but I just know I won't ever forget the sight of all those guys out there down on their knees searching for a contact lens. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen happen on a football field.

That's funny, but in the late 70's same thing happened at Old Bear Stadium in Gladwater, the only difference was the kid lost his artificial eye.

Originally posted by golffingnut
Originally posted by AnOldBuckeye

That's funny, but in the late 70's same thing happened at Old Bear Stadium in Gladwater, the only difference was the kid lost his artificial eye.

Ouch,,, I assume they did find it right?

Last year, in a 2a district game, an offical spotted the ball on 4th down and called for a measurement. When the chains got there, the official went around the chain box. In doing so, he tripped over the chain pole. He fell to the ground and kicked the ball :cry: out of posion. He then gave the offense a 1st down. Everyone was laughing. ;)

Our coach in Jr. High was giving out our game uniforms and made a big deal out of telling us that if you were a lineman you could only have numbers in the 50's,60's,70's or 90's. When we got to the Field for the game he noticed that one of our lineman had his jersey on backwards (big number in front) so he told the kid to turn his jersey around. The kids number was #63. After thinking about it for awhile he told the coach he could'nt do that because then his number would be #36. The coach to his credit walked off real quick but we were laughing our heads off.

Originally posted by onearmbandit

Last year, in a 2a district game, an offical spotted the ball on 4th down and called for a measurement. When the chains got there, the official went around the chain box. In doing so, he tripped over the chain pole. He fell to the ground and kicked the ball :cry: out of posion. He then gave the offense a 1st down. Everyone was laughing. ;)

That's funny,, I don't care who ya are,, that's funny right there.

Originally posted by clearthinker39

Our coach in Jr. High was giving out our game uniforms and made a big deal out of telling us that if you were a lineman you could only have numbers in the 50's,60's,70's or 90's. When we got to the Field for the game he noticed that one of our lineman had his jersey on backwards (big number in front) so he told the kid to turn his jersey around. The kids number was #63. After thinking about it for awhile he told the coach he could'nt do that because then his number would be #36. The coach to his credit walked off real quick but we were laughing our heads off.

Ahhhh,, the simplicity of youth. LOL

Ok,, now I'll tell one on myself. When I was in the eighth grade, I was pretty small. (how I yearn for those days.) LOL. Anyway,, I was on the A team offense,, but occasionally played on the B team defense. I played linebacker,, (still can't figure that one out.) Anyway,, our coach nicknamed our B team defense, "The Untouchables",,, after the popular Elliot Ness show. He called us that cause he said we never "touched" anybody. LOL

After one less than memorable series on defense, (I think the other team went over 80 yards in six or seven plays to score),,, we went to the sidelines and sat on the bench. It was late in the game,, and one of my buddies said,, "Man, I hope we get to go back out there." I just responded,,,"I hope we "don't" get to go back out there." The problem was,,, my Dad was sitting in the second or third row in the stands and heard me say that. I never did live that down. LOL :whome:

I was officiating a varsity game last year where I was working the sideline of the home school. The other team threw a short pass to their sideline (the kid caught it laying down) and the referee signaled first down. The home coach comes up to me and asks, if I could find out what happened, as he thought it was incomplete. I said sure thing and went out and asked the umpire and referee what happen, they said the kid had his arms under the ball and it was a good catch. I when over and told that coach exactly what they had said and he said “there ain’t no way I heard the ball hit the ground” and I ask him “you heard the ball hit the ground all the way across the field” and he kind of laughed and said YES!!

I was wathcing our 8th grade on night. Our frees safety was playing in his first ever football game. He however was supposed to be a soccer super star. The other team throws deep and he is perfect position for the interception. He goes up to play the ball, hands down by his side and executes one of the prettiest headers you have ever seen. Luckily we had it on film so we could watch it the next day.

I was umpiring a 7-8 year old district baseball tournament about 15 years ago and White Oak(where I live now) was playing Gilmer(where I lived then) and losing by one run in the bottom of the last inning with the bases loaded and the batter had 2 strikes on him and the on-deck hitter (not the coach!) called time out and walked up to the batter and (I will never forget this) tapped him on the shoulder and said "Don't worry man , jus do the best you can" And the child just happened to be my best friend's nephew. May not be funny or amusing ,but it was a moment I will never forget , just the way it happened . By the way he got a hit and knocked in the winning run .

I'm pretty sure my high school team originated the shotgun formation. You see, our center ripped his pants right in the rear during practice. Well, our QB said there was no way he was putting his hands down there like that so the center had to snap the ball with the QB in what we now call the shotgun position. That was over 30 years ago but I still laugh when I think of that practice.

Originally posted by Incredi-Bull

I'm pretty sure my high school team originated the shotgun formation. You see, our center ripped his pants right in the rear during practice. Well, our QB said there was no way he was putting his hands down there like that so the center had to snap the ball with the QB in what we now call the shotgun position. That was over 30 years ago but I still laugh when I think of that practice.

Priceless!!!!!!!! LOL And I can understand just how the QB felt. I'll be thinking about that days from now and still get a good laugh out of it. :rofl:

I remember many moons ago,,, (at least 15 years or so) We were playing in Gilmer, (won't mention the name of our opponent) and one of the Gilmer kids laid a pretty good lick on a kid from the other school. When the kid got up,, he staggered off the field,,, problem was, he staggered over to the Gilmer bench. He had his head down,, and stopped once he was off the field, turned around, and was holding his head. The Gilmer kids were looking at him kind of funny,,, and then he looked up. He realized where he was,,, I don't know if he was embarassed,,, or scared. The other team was in the act of punting,, so he had to wait til the play was over to walk back over to the other side. It wasn't funny that he was hurting,,, but his reaction, and the reaction of the Gilmer players was hilarious. He wasn't hurt bad by the way,, just stunned momentarily.

I have two stories:

The first year I coached the 7th grade at Gilmer, we had so much talent it was unbelievable(maybe it's not to hard to believe) anyway, we were winning big and the game was coming to an end. We had a great lineman and great guy who just happened to studdar. We thought it would be fun to send in a play with him and so we did. We sent in the most confusing, complicated play we could and it was hilarious to watch the huddle as everyone was trying to figure out what he was trying to say. Needless to say, we had to call time-out.

The next story also involves a Jr. High game (you've got to love those Jr. High coaches) I was coaching at Union Hill and we had a pretty good team. We had 4th down and about 30 yards, so we sent in our punt team. Our best running back was also our deep snapper. The team lines up in punt formation and our snapper does a fake snap and takes off running up the middle of the field. The coaches are trying to find a big hole to hide in. We didn't want people to think we had told him to do that.

i took a freshman team to dallas to play. we had about 14-15 kids and the team we were playing had about 30......we kicked off and ran down and made the tackle......defensive coach called in the play and we started talking about who was going to play where.....next thing, we look up and our kids are just standing there while the qb was running down the sideline for a touchdown....we were confused and then they called touchdown....we looked at each other and started laughing...we knew right off the bat that they pulled the old "coach said thats the wrong ball" trick....we thought we were in for a long night.....turns out our kids got really mad and we beat them 50 something to 7

In Junior High track, we were at a meet in Kilgore. Field events were over, so I was in the stands with my buddies watching some of the running events.

We had a guy named Darrell that was on his third attempt at 8th grade (you know the type :whome:) Darrell was entered in the 100. We watched as they started the race...down the track comes everyone but Darrell, who is lagging about 20 yards behind. When he runs by us, we notice he was wearing his high-heeled disco shoes! He had left his track shoes at School!:whistle: We nearly cracked up! To this day, it remains one of the funniest sites I have seen.

I was standing on the sideline at Rose Stadium back when the headset plug-in box was about 6 yards off the 50 yard line. As the play was coming toward the sideline, we started backing up. I happened to step over the box. However, the head coach, who was right in front of me tripped over it landing on his backside. As he got up, glasses all askew, he slams down his clipboard and screams, "Who the ________ put that there." It was all I could do not to laugh - until he walked away and I think I laughed the rest of the game. Still brings tears to my eyes!

A couple of stories come to mind:

Many years ago I was at game between the Troup Tigers and the West Rusk Raiders at Troup. Now this was so long ago that the visitors section was some boards nailed up to pine trees. Sometime in the first half the Troup QB hauled off and threw a pass as hard and as far as he could. The pass was a thing of beauty with a perfect spiral and great loft. I swear it was at least an 80 yard pass. The trouble was he completely overthrew the receivers, the secondary, and even the field. The pass ended up at the far end of the stands where it hit one of the raider majorettes. It knocked her completely unconscious. The game came to a complete halt while everyone in the stands rushed to check on her. She wasn't injured (once she came to) and if I remember correctly she still performed at the half.

A few years back I was at the Tomato Bowl watching a game. It was a rainy evening and the field was really wet. During the halftime when the bands were marching one of the tuba players, a rather large and portly fellow, tripped in the mud and ended up upside down stuck in his tuba. The whole band marched all around him, with some tripping over him in a domino effect. After a while someone finally took pity on him and rolled him over so he could get free. Now as a longtime football fan I have always thought of halftime shows as just something that gets in the way of watching football. But that was the most entertaining halftime I've ever seen

When I was a Jr at Kilgore we were playing ether Carthage or Henderson can"t remember anyway we had a linebacker Shawn Meredith who wasn"t afraid to hit ya . they had a very fast rb that year can"t remember name he came around the end and I missed him but Shawn had the angle and hit him full bore right at the 40 yd number right off his feet and the kid didn"t hit the ground until the bench stopped him --- really . Every body just stopped kids coaches fans we though he had killed him but he was fine just shook-up . Shawn got up shook his head , looked at asst coach Lowery just like he did it every day and said boy I knocked the P--- out of him didn"t I coach turned and walked back out on to the field . The look on every bodys face was pricless and nobody said a word It was also the hardest hit I ever saw :w00t:

Back in the 80's, I was at a game in Daingerfield with Pittsburg. I noticed one of the referees that was stretching before the game was pretty athletic looking. To make a long story short, one of the D'field players got hit on a bomb, wide open. No one from Pittsburg could catch him, but out of no where, this referee was sprinting like he was running the 100 meters. He reeled the wr in before in scored. It was an incredible sight!