NFL HIGH SCHOOL REPORT---

Smoaky

FIVE HIGH SCHOOLS SHARE LEAD FOR MOST NFL PLAYERS; CALIFORNIA LEADS ALL STATES; MIAMI TOPS HOMETOWNS

VIENNA, Va. (Sept. 27, 2006) - Five high schools – two in California, two in Florida and one in Hawaii – top the list of schools with the most 2006 NFL players with five each, USA Football announced today.

The totals are based on the 1,695-man 2006 NFL Kickoff Weekend rosters (September 7, 10-11).

NFL players from kickoff rosters hail from 1,383 high schools in 47 states and the District of Columbia, plus three foreign countries and one U.S. territory (American Samoa).

Four of the high schools – Dillard (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Dorsey (Los Angeles, Calif.), Ely (Pompano Beach, Fla.), and Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) have traditionally been among the annual leaders in NFL alumni. Kahuku High School in Kahuku, Hawaii makes its first appearance on the most-alumni list.

The NFL players from the most productive schools have fond memories of their high school days, and respect for how the schools’ football programs are run:

ST. LOUIS RAMS WR ISAAC BRUCE (Dillard): “My high school experience was very competitive. Our No. 1 rival was Ely in Pompano Beach. ZACK and HENRY CROCKETT and COREY SIMON went to school there. To have five guys in the league is something. They taught us competitiveness, they taught us to be fierce and to finish everything we did. I am not surprised that we have five players in the league. The surprising thing is that we only have five.”

PITTSBURGH STEELERS S TYRONE CARTER (Ely): “I am very proud to have been a part of Ely's program. It is very special and gave us something to look forward to in Pompano Beach. It gave us something to strive for to be apart of the football program. Everyone always strived to be the best. We had a great coaching staff that was very dedicated to making us better. For the most part, football was all we had and it made us work that much harder.”

ARIZONA CARDINALS S AARON FRANCISCO (Kahuku): "The tradition there was different. We came from a small community and that's all there is there is football. That's everyone's life there. It's shocking to me that we're tied for first. I had no idea. The kids out there, everything is hitting. That's all I remember about high school is hitting. Everybody loves to hit and they take a lot of pride in that in the community."

CLEVELAND BROWNS LB WILLIE MC GINEST (Long Beach Poly): “Long Beach Poly is a melting pot for athletes. It is a competitive atmosphere and there is so much tradition. The coaches do a great job of developing and producing talented athletes, especially football players and track athletes. The coaches have been there a long time and some of them actually played for the team when they were in high school. They are a respected part of the community and they get their players ready for college.”

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS G CHRIS NAEOLE (Kahuku): “It’s a big tradition where I’m from. Kahuka is on the North Shore of Oahu and it has the whole community pride like other schools, but it’s a little bit more. Everyone comes out to support the team. I’ve been gone awhile, but the name is still the same. I go back there and they just keep pumping out kids. My nephew came out this year and got a scholarship. Everyone there is strong- minded. There are a lot of Polynesians in the league from all over Hawaii.”

HIGH SCHOOLS WITH MOST NFL PLAYERS

5- Dillard , Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Isaac Bruce, SL; Chris Gamble, CAR; Quinn Gray, JAX; Jovan Haye, CLV; Stanley McClover, CAR)

5- Dorsey , Los Angeles, CA (Antonio Chatman, CIN; Na’il Diggs; CAR; Keyshawn Johnson, CAR; Dennis Northcutt, CLV; Edell Shepherd, HOU)

5- Ely , Pompano Beach, FL (Tyrone Carter, PIT; Zack Crockett, OAK; Al Harris, GB; Jerome McDougle, PHI; Corey Simon, IND)

5- Kahuku , Kahuku, HI (Aaron Francisco, ARZ; Chris Kemoeatu, PIT; Ma’ake Kemoeatu, CAR; Itula Mili, SEA; Chris Naeole, JAX)

5- Long Beach Polytechnic , Long Beach, CA (Winston Justice, PHI; Marcedes Lewis, JAX; Willie McGinest, CLV; Samie Parker, KC; Omar Stoutmire, NO)

Twenty high schools have four players each in the NFL this year. Thirty-one high schools boast three NFLers, while 170 schools have two players:

Angleton, Angelton, TX

Aplington-Parkersburg, Parkersburg, IA

Boyd Anderson, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Carter, Dallas, TX

De La Salle, Concord, CA

Deep Creek, Chesapeake, VA

DeSoto, DeSoto, TX

Hazelwood East, St. Louis, MO

Lawton, Lawton, OK

Lincoln, Tallahassee, FL

Lower Richland, Hopkins, SC

Lufkin, Lufkin, TX

Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL

Miami, Miami, FL

Northwestern, Miami, FL

Robert E. Lee, Midland, TX

St. Augustine, New Orleans, LA

Thomas Jefferson, Denver, CO

Tustin, Tustin, CA

Westlake, Atlanta, GA

Number of high schools with 3 NFL players: 31

Number of high schools with 2 NFL players: 170

Number of high schools with 1 NFL player: 1,157

HOME STATES : California topped the list of states with most NFL players in 2006 (206), followed by Florida (177) and Texas (175):

States with Most NFL Players:

California- 206

Florida- 177

Texas- 175

Ohio- 83

Georgia- 80

Louisiana- 74

Pennsylvania- 58

Virginia- 56

South Carolina- 51

Michigan- 49

Alabama- 48

New Jersey- 46

HOMETOWNS : Miami, Florida heads the list of hometowns with the most NFL players (35), followed by Houston (29), Detroit and Los Angeles (16 each):

Hometowns with Most NFL Players:

Miami, FL - 35

Houston, TX - 29

Detroit, MI - 16

Los Angeles, CA - 13

New Orleans, LA - 13

Atlanta, GA - 12

Dallas, TX - 12

Jacksonville, FL - 12

Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 11

Tampa, FL - 11

Washington, DC - 11

AMERICAN SAMOA : The United States territory of American Samoa has three NFL players: Cincinnati DT DOMATA PEKO, Chicago TE GABRIEL REID and San Francisco DT ISAAC SOPOAGA. Peko and Sopoaga are from Pago Pago and both attended Samoana High. Reid is from Leone and attended Leone High School.

FOREIGN COUNTRIES : Canada leads the list of foreign countries with NFL players (nine), followed by Australia (two) and Panama (one):

Canada (9) - Oshiomogho Atogwe, SL; J.P. Darche, SEA; Israel Idonije, CHI; Nick Kaczur, NE; L.P. Ladouceur, DAL; Rob Meier, JAX; Jon Ryan, GB; Shaun Suisham, DAL; Mike Vanderjagt, DAL)

Australia (2) - Ben Graham, NYJ; Mat McBriar, DAL

Panama (1) - Frank Davis, DET

• 1 month later...

Smoaky:

I did some searching b/c this came up in another message board. Manuel Wright (DT, Miami) and Darnell Bing (LB, Oakland) are both from Long Beach Poly and in the NFL. That gives them seven in the NFL.

Now here's the scary thing: Justice, Wright, Parker, Bing, and Lewis were all at Poly together. That means that one high school football team had 5 future NFL players on its roster at the same time!