New Coaches

JunkyardDawg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by katie75633

We hav a new coach in Carthage...Coach Terry. He came from Letourneau University in Longview

Yes, I heard Carthage had a new coach this year. I have also heard that he has turned the softball program around and they will be a tough team to beat. They say he has put in alot of hard work and the players like and respect him.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by luvsoftball4ever

We hav a new coach in Carthage...Coach Terry. He came from Letourneau University in Longview

Yes, I heard Carthage had a new coach this year. I have also heard that he has turned the softball program around and they will be a tough team to beat. They say he has put in alot of hard work and the players like and respect him.:thumbsup:

Have all the respect for Coach Terry, so this is not a slam on him. So do not take it that way. Im sure he is doing an excellent job.

But... How do you turn around a softball program that has been very successfull. Last years district champions. Year before that, they upset Lindale in bi-district, and eventually lost to state runner up Van. Think they went 3 or 4 years without losing a district game, untill just last few years. Dont know how many years in a row they have been in the playoffs, but always have been a very good team. So you cant say he has turned it around. Attitude adjustment, maybe, but they have always been very successfull and a team to reckon with in my eyes.

Originally posted by baller

Allison Ratcliff played at Jefferson didn't she? It's nice to see someome coming back to their alma mater.

Allison played her high school ball at Marshall. She went to ETBU and played softball where she was an All-American.

Originally posted by baller

OK. I get those kids out in the woods mixed up sometimes. Who was the catcher and pitcher from Jefferson about 4 yrs ago? or am I thinking about Harleton?

Meagan Hall was the pitcher and Tish Thompson was the catcher for Jefferson during that time.

Do any of the Carthage players actually know why Coach Terry left LeTourneau? Ask a former LU player, their responses are very interesting! However, it will be interesting to see if high school girls react differently to him than the college girls did. I wish Carthage the best!

Seams7.....

The girls are responding with respect & enthusiasm and they are working hard to get ready for their season.

Do we, the parents, in Carthage care why he left LU? The answer is , "NO". It is one of the best schools around for academics but a well known resume killer for coaches.

You need to be a bit more selective about who you try to attack on here. You are trying to stir up trouble for an obviously devoted family man and knowledgable softball coach. Find another axe to grind please.

Volleyball166, I'm not trying to start up trouble. It appears Coach Terry is being accepted far more at Carthage than he was at LU; that's good. However, I do wonder why no one has asked why Coach Terry is not at LeTourneau anymore? If he is such a great coach why would a university let him go? There is no doubt that Coach Terry is a dedicated family man and a hard worker. Where softball is concerned....you will have to see the rest for yourself.

Originally posted by Seams7

Do any of the Carthage players actually know why Coach Terry left LeTourneau? Ask a former LU player, their responses are very interesting! However, it will be interesting to see if high school girls react differently to him than the college girls did. I wish Carthage the best!

it's very obvious why you posted... Coach Terry did a great job with what he had to work with. Your attitude is one of the major reasons (or problems) that plagued LU. Parents and players trying to run the program instead of the coach and little or no backing from the AD. He was also doing three full time jobs and getting paid for one...It's pretty obvious that LU doesn't care about the program because of who they hired...someone with no experience. So you can keep your insinuations and tell it to someone who might listen.

Thank you Blesseddaily!

I had heard all the same things. Fact remains, with athletic programs in the state they are there, any person who knows the coaching business will tell you, there are some obstacles the best coach on the planet can't overcome.

Just ask Jerry Blankenship about that sentiment. Wonderful coach, awesome person...raw deal fighting a losing battle a couple of years back.

Seams7,

Have a great suggestion for you. Get your teaching certificate, put in your time in the trenches as a coach, deal with the daily grind of being a head coach, disgruntled parents, unknowledgeable or uncaring administrators, players who think they are more skilled than they truly are, and then criticize those who have done all the above. I've seen Coach Terry coach. He's knowledgeable, skilled and effective. Get off his back and let the man coach his team. Your slurs and innuendos are unwelcome here.

Originally posted by Quackerjack

Seams7,

Have a great suggestion for you. Get your teaching certificate, put in your time in the trenches as a coach, deal with the daily grind of being a head coach, disgruntled parents, unknowledgeable or uncaring administrators, players who think they are more skilled than they truly are, and then criticize those who have done all the above. I've seen Coach Terry coach. He's knowledgeable, skilled and effective. Get off his back and let the man coach his team. Your slurs and innuendos are unwelcome here.

WOW!!! Wonders if I could copy and quote Quacker when the "select coaching vs high school coaching "great debate heats back up in here... Im with ya there Quack...

Haha this is all so funny-if you only knew! Understand that to make an educated decision you must have both sides information. By some of your remarks, it is very apparent there is a lack of knowledge of how college softball programs work. Clearly no one has spoken with a LU player. Speak to any player, just pick one, the stories are the same. Coach Terry did have players to work with. Stephanie Ray (Harmony product-All State, All East Texas, All District), Amber Taylor (Dangerfield product-All East Texas, All District), Sarah Ricks (Pine Tree product -All State, All East Texas, All District), Samantha Brummell (Pittsburg product -All District, All East Texas). The Athletic Director (Dr. Duane Trogdon) is very competent man. He coached several national teams throughout his career and knows what it takes to win. But like they say numbers don't lie. Coach Terry's record at LU was 5-33 (2006), 13-27 (2005) Students don't get athletic scholarships, they simply play because they have a strong desire and love for the game just like ETBU and UT-Tyler players. However, look at how Tom Wait turned the soccer team around in one year. It can be done. By the way Quackerjack I do have my certification, I've been coaching for years, and I have had to deal with parents and players. Bottom line...LeTourneau asked him to resign and you will soon find out why. I just hope your team can rely on its talented players and not the coaching staff. I do wish Carthage girls the best.

This is all I have...time will tell all.

I used to be an LU player. Ask me? I would love to tell you all the #### that went on in softball, but a lot of the problems had nothing to do with the coach. Thank goodness someone came out and said how the athletic department must not care about their program to hire someone with no experience. The new coach is a great guy, but no softball experience. And the 4 girls above... Those girls never all played in the same year. Four girls is not enough to win conference, ok. As for what I know, unless the AD lied to me, Coach Terry was NEVER asked to resign. That was a personal decision that he made to get out of a revolving situation because of the lack of support from the administration. The AD, unless he was being dishonest and fake, was VERY upset and shocked at Coach Terry's decision. Honestly, if Dr. Trogdon knows exactly how to win, then why didn't he invest more time and effort in to finding a coach with the same ideas.

Seams--- I think that it is very interesting how you are an adult coach and you want to get online to start a bunch of mess about something you obviously "think" you know about. In fact, if you know so much, then I hope you aren't a member of the LeTourneau administration, because that would be a shame for you to represent yourself this way.

So here you go, I am ONE player from the last two years of the LeTourneau softball program. Was my response the same as you thought? If you want negative things said about the coach then ask the 3 or 4 girls that started the problems.

Thank you!

EastTxSBall21....obvious Carthage connection. There is only one Carthage player on the roster; it is obvious who you and by your LU profile I would say you are young and impressionable. Again, no knowledge of how a college softball program works; you haven't been in it long enough. There is no reason for Dr. Trogdon to tell any freshman who he doesn't know the ends and outs of administrative duties. He has a job to do. He’s a businessman and an administrator who has the school, his coaches, and his job to think about before he offers any information to someone who has not invested a lengthy about of time into the university. Think about it. Also, you lost me when you said the four girls never played together. In fact they did. Their names are all splattered across LU's record books between 2002-2006. Get your facts straight.

OKay, again you are wrong. If you would have understood my last post, I said that I played for LeTourneau for the last two and a half years. I still attend LeTourneau and I am a Junior there, but I chose not to play softball this Spring. (Hint Hint: Since you know so much about our program, I was the starting 1st baseman for the last two years) I am not in any way trying to hide my identity. I also know quite a bit about a college program. I have been helping Coach Terry since two summers ago recruiting, and that is my job now under the new coach. I do a lot of the behind the scenes softball stuff trying to learn more about coaching, which is my major. So therefore, I do know these things, and Dr. Trogdon has told me exactly what I have stated above. The four girls that you stated were Amber Taylor, Sarah Ricks, Samantha Brummell, and Stephanie Rae. Amber, Taylor and Steph played together. Samantha, Sarah, and I played together our freshman year. But even if you didn't understand my point, 3 players can't MAKE a great team, unless you have an unhittable pitcher. Which, since you know so much, none of these girls pitched except for Amber. I DO know my facts, but that isn't the important thing. YOU get your facts straight and leave the PAST left where it should be...

Originally posted by luvsoftball4ever

Turned it around???? Hopefully you are not from Carthage.. Coach Wiston BUILT that program... That program is successful because of him and the parents who donate A LOT of time to that orgainization.