Mallet vs Kinne

Rabfan

After having the privilege of seeing both QB's over the last two weeks, i wanted to put my two cents worth in on the comparrisions between the two of them just for the fun of it.

one thing they both have in common is two really great offensive lines and a corps of solid recievers that give them the ability to make great plays and post great numbers. Gilmers offensive line looked as big and as solid and most of the 4A's we've played, although the kiddo's from T-High were just massive,Gilmers line was close in size. incredible for a 3A team.

but after that it's a night and day difference between the two QB's. Mallet is a big strong kid who doesnt have a lot of speed but because of his sheer size is almost impossible to bring down in the backfield by a single man. he has a very deliberate release and stands back in the pocket and takes his time, thanks to his line, and reads the field and makes his throws. Kinne on the other hand is highly mobil and well move around in the pocket and has what has got to be the fastest release of any high school QB i've ever seen. from both the sidelines and the bleachers i marveled at how many times i never saw the ball leave his hand it was so quick.

Mallet has a strong arm and throws a real touch pass thats very accurate. Kinne can also put a nice touch on the ball but from what i saw, throws lazers that are out of his hand and into the recievers hands before anybody even realizes that the ball was in the air.

i think mallet tucked the ball and ran it once the whole game against us last week. while kinne never hesitated to tuck it and run it and was devestating when he did do it. that probably has as much to do with coaching philosophies as anything else though. although it's no doubt that kinne is a much faster QB than mallet, mallet makes up for a lack of speed with having the size of most defensive ends in D1 college ball.

they're both amazing to watch and have as much talent at the position of anything i've ever seen. although we came up on the loosing end of both games, i have a feeling in a few years i'll be watching both of them on sundays and talking about how i watched them play on friday nights.

Having seen both of them play (plus Graham Harrell and Matthew Stafford) I would have to agree with you totally..Graham Harrell wasn't as tallented as any of the four but threw the ball 35+ times a game, and Stafford could run a little and had great touch on his throws, but lacked the arm strength of Mallett (i thought when i saw them play vs. each other last year) but hey, Georgia doesn't think so-but yea-you're right on about Kinne and Mallett.

I could very easily be wrong about Kinne, but I'll be surprised if he plays professionally. Baylor offered and several schools were interested in Kinne but were waiting to offer. Mallett had offers from coast to coast before settling on Michigan. Kinne will be good college quarterback, but playing at Baylor won't get him much recognition.

i just posted this since i'd gotten to see them both first hand. both of them were cover boys on DCTF this year and it was great to get to watch both of them.

they're both great ball players. just differnt types of athletes.

i think it's more a matter of size than talent if you want to know my opinion.

kinne definatly has the skills and talent to go as far as hew wants. but does he fit the "profile" is the question.

lets face it, the new breed of NFL QB is going to be minimum 6'5" 230 or bigger. and i do mean thats going to be minimum.

Rabfan,

You make a good point. L-E's Stephen DeGrate was possibly best linebacker the Leopards have had, but D1 schools didn't like him because of height (6-0). He's now at Central Arkansas and I'm convinced he's going to have great college career. If he does I hope an NFL team will give him a look.

what i'm saying is that the scouts and coaches at these major D1 schools who are competing for national titles year in and year out, have profiles for the kids they want at certian positions.

if a high school athlete doesn't fit into that profile for size, weight and speed according to the position, they arnt even going to give him a look.

mallet is 6'7 250 lb's. he's big enough to see over the offensive lines in most big D1 schools and he has the numbers to back it up.

Kinne on the other hand didn't look to me like he'd be much over 6'3, but i may be wrong on that. therefore a lot of colleges arnt going to consider him because of his height and weight alone. it has nothing to do with his ability,heart or desire to play the game.

it's a shame in some respects but thats the way it is. remember back in the 70's when the pittsburg steelers were winning all of those super bowls they didn't have hardley an offensive lineman over 250lb's. today those guys wouldn't even be big enough to play for Texas High or Gilmer for that matter.

Mallet tosses balls regularly between the uprights from the 45 yard line before games with a normal stride. 45+10=55. I think he won the elite 11 camp with an 80yd+ toss. I think it is safe to say he probably has the strongest arm in the country.

Rabfan, thanks for your insight.

Originally posted by leopard

I could very easily be wrong about Kinne, but I'll be surprised if he plays professionally. Baylor offered and several schools were interested in Kinne but were waiting to offer. Mallett had offers from coast to coast before settling on Michigan. Kinne will be good college quarterback, but playing at Baylor won't get him much recognition.

Isn't that pretty much a longshot for all these guys? I suppose you never know. I saw Drew Brees play in a state title game, and while I was pretty impressed with Westlake I had no idea I'd ever be hearing his name again. I think he wanted to stay in-state but couldn't get any of the Texas schools to offer him ... or am I misremebering? Worked out well for him though.

I've seen them both and when I watch Kinne I feel like I'm I'm watching an outstanding high school QB who will be a decent college QB. Playing at Baylor will offer very little if any national exposure and playing on Sundays seems like a long shot at best for him. When I watch Mallett, I see an outstanding high school QB who, barring injury, will be a star at the next level. That plus the national exposure available at Michigan gives him the stage to be something really special and playing on Sundays is easy to imagine for him.

No matter what happens with both QBs, I wish 'em luck...And I know Kinne will make Baylor a better football team, they could use a little athleticism at QB...Haven't seen Mallet play yet, I plan on catching a T-High game before the season is over...Hope he puts on a show...

I watched G.J. last Friday nite in Atlanta and I believe he is as good as any high school quarterback in the nation. Im no guru of QBs but he is a great football player. And it will not change in college, he will still have great athletes in college to throw to . It will just be a little faster on the defensive reads.

The difference to me, is the systems they play under. Mallet plays in a pro-style offense which is what Michigan runs. He takes a lot of snaps from under center, and is comfortable with making reads while dropping back. Gilmer runs the spread, and while it is very effective in High School and to some extent in college, it usually doesn't equate to professional success. I'd love to cheer for either one on Friday nights in my hometown.

Guest ScoutsOut

Rough and tumble QB's, Very mobile. Chase Daniels and GJ Kinne - Remind me of a Brett Farve prototype.

Scout.com's top 10 QB prospects are all 6'1 and above.

Kinne comes in at 6'2 205. Daniels is 6' 225.

Daniels had late interest in him by Texas but had already committed to Missouri.

Mallett is 6'6 210, the number one rated QB in the Nation is Clausen at 6'3 195.

Kinne is right there in height. His skills are just as good as Daniels at his level and he has an arm that is comparable to any in the top 10.

I dont think you can compare Kinne to Mallett, they are two different types of QB's. Physically is one more suited for the pros or a pro pocket type of QB? Sure, Mallett fits that mold. Have QB's that have the physical mold that Kinne fits into succeeded in the college ranks and pros? Sure all you have to do is look at Brett Farve.

And if anyone doesnt think any of these QB's has a chance in college or at the next level then all you have to do is point your little noggins towards Doug Floutie....By the way Troy Aikman was only 6'4 219....I think you have to look at whats between the ears and the position abilities once you have someone at 6' and above moving into the college level and then at having a shot at the pros. Do you want the whole package? I think you do but I would let Brett Farve QB my football team on any day....just some random thoughts on this subject....

Now before any of you retards start saying Kinne is no Brett Farve, I'm just using the physical or type of QB Farve is to make a comparison. I hate to even have to say that but some of you were going to.....

Guest ScoutsOut
Originally posted by warhawk1432

:blink:are you really comparing kinne to Farve in any way shape or form? Try comparing him to well known HS quarterbacks or even some college guys... but not a superstar NFL guy!

You obviously dont have a clue and you obviously didnt read my last previous statement....Go back to arm chair QB school and get your money back...