BECKVILLE PLAYER DECLAIRED INELIGIBLE!!

hogwash

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Joaquin was questioning it, was because the player, was at Joaquin last year, and Logansport the year before, so they might know some more information about the player.

I would rather have it decided on the field like most, but if a player isn't elgible then whatever the district decides is what we must go-by. I still look for Beckville to make the playoffs, because they are still a very good team.

It seems to me the coaches should have challenged before they LOST, sounds like poor sportsmanship to me, but I don't have all the facts. Regardless, I feel sorry for the kids at Beckville because they thought they were following the rules and then they still get blindsided, WOW!

4thekids, lighten up, everyones not as perfect as apparently you are. IF a violation did occur would you not want the truth? I would and thats part of the sports involvement. Teaching the kids and learning about life... And besides that I haven't seen anything at all that says for sure there was anything wrong.

Wow! Beckville really got screwed on this one! So I guess all the ram fans are gonna be talking trash again. With our without that player on the field, beckville still wins that game 20-14. Now whats left to be seen is if the kids of beckville will rise to face adversity or slump after this ridiculous distraction this week.

The Joaquin coach & the Teneha super. are on the UIL board or whatever but did they get to put their votes or whatever in too? Or did they have to sit out? They should of sat out.

I don't care what they say... Beckville fought for that win last friday & Joaquin was just upset that they lost & Teneha is scared to death that they are going to lose tonight.

It is my understanding that this was questioned last thursday or friday morning (prior to the game). People in surrounding communities had heard about it last friday before the game. And this is about following the rules! If the committee determined that the player did not meet the eligibility requirements, then it is not rediculous, it is the appropriate action to be taken. Winning at any cost is not something that we need to be teaching our kids.

well the UIL previously told the coaches that the kids were eligible to play, so they played them. Now they come back and say, they arent eligible so forfeit your win. The UIL basically screwed the coaches on that one. nobody is teaching win at all costs, so unless u know what ur talking about lackatrack..u might want to sit back

Ive got on question guitorrod, how do you question something that hasn't happened yet? the game had not been played so no infraction had occured until after the fact. get over it. life goes on. Beckville beat Joaquin on the field , I don't think anybody in Joaquin has denied that part.

The UIL does not check the kids. It is the kids gardians responsibility to establish residency and be truthful in terms of said residency. If they misrepresent, and are caught, then things like this happen. You can't say you are living on one district when you are living somewhere else. When you do, there are consequences. Wrong is wrong, no matter how much you want to win.

Originally posted by catgrad06

well the UIL previously told the coaches that the kids were eligible to play, so they played them. Now they come back and say, they arent eligible so forfeit your win. The UIL basically screwed the coaches on that one.

Coaches know -- or at least should know -- that what the UIL said was based on the information that was provided to the UIL. This is not unusual for a player to be "pre-approved" but then later some more information comes to light that makes it a different situation. The biggest problem I would have with this situation is that if it was known about prior to the game, why didn't they have a district meeting prior to the game and get it settled before they played?

It's really pretty simple folks, follow the rules or face the consequences. Rules are rules, without them we have chaos. Rules were made and adopted for a reason. Follow them and there are no problems. Cheat and eventually they catch up to you. Would you like to play without them?

Originally posted by catgrad06

Wow! Beckville really got screwed on this one! So I guess all the ram fans are gonna be talking trash again. With our without that player on the field, beckville still wins that game 20-14. Now whats left to be seen is if the kids of beckville will rise to face adversity or slump after this ridiculous distraction this week.

Next time you ASSURE us of something....make sure it is legit. In my mind Beckville beat Joaquin, but Joaquin gets to put the mark in the W column because of technicality.

The sad thing to me is that you have 20 other kids on that team that had nothing to do with it that suffer as a result. It is really sad. I am not defending the alleged violaters if this is true because I do believe rules must be followed, but I am still troubled by the timing of this and the manner in which it was done. Somewhat reminiscent of an old west ambush! They took the W away from Beckville but they can't take away you guys kicking Joaquin to the curb. I just hope the kids can get back focused as this has been a major distraction all week.

That's how it is with UIL rules. The rules are meant to protect, but it is a hard lesson to learn that you must go and actually visit at a newcomers house in order to establish a true residence. What is a shame is that a dishonest parent can cost an entire team, but this isn't the first time we've seen this happen. Learn from your mistakes and don't let one kid cost you a season. I agree, it's better to find out now rather than later.

either way, it is ashame that the whole team has suffer b/c an individual.. both teams are good, but like everyone says.. u gotta follow the rules where the UIL is involved..

all u can do about now, is pick your heads up, and move forward..:thumbsup:

don't allow one game blow your season!!

~Lynn~

As much as I do not like to respond on here (Smoaky, thanks for the phone call to get the facts!), let me state the truth. A home visit was made by the Supt. and myself to verify residense in our district. We even sat out one of the players during the time we were double checking. Beckville ISD had no reason to believe that the student-athletes were not legal after the parents signed the original papers, the home visits were made, and the daily pass by of the house where the students in question live by administrators to and from school. Since both students were cleared by the DEC, we thought they were legal to play and if not, we would have not played them. I agree, rules are rules and I do not intend to knowingly break them! It is a very complicated issue that is being taken to the UIL and hopefully will be overturned. If not, the Bearcats will overcome this adversity and do our best to represent our school and community with pride. I am very proud of the guys and the way they have handled this situation and unfortunatley we had to play a very good football team (Tenaha)

3 hours after we found out the status of our players. I congratulate the Tigers and Coach Tyner on a very well played game and good luck in the rest of the district competition.

As a rule abiding coach myself, it's a bit scary think that you can be diligent about eligibility, go through the approval process when needed, be told everything is in order, and then have that recinded and then be penalized for acting on your exec committee's decision. I feel for the rest of the kids. If the kid is ineligible so be it. Don't make the penalty retroactive in a situation like this. That's nuts.

I realize coaches are capable not telling full truths during the approval process hence, the harsh penalty. But anyone who is in this area knows the Beckville coaches and admin aren't like that. Good group of coaches and kids there. Good luck with your appeal.