Favorite East Texas Highschool football memory!

TCUFrog05

I know most of you weren't around for this, but my favorite was the 1975 Longview-JT game. JT came in undefeated and ranked #1 in the state, returning everyone from the '74 State chmpionship team except for Earl(Ihope you know who that is!!). Longview came in also undefeated and ranked #9 or 10, but they were clearly undermanned and outsized going into the game. No one really gave the Lobos a chance except for a few thousnd Lobo faithful. A SRO crowd of over 12,000 packed Rose stadium that night and what they witnessed was utterally amazing. Longview totally dominated JT 29-0 in what was not only an upset, but one of the few games in which I trully believe the fans played an enormous part in the victory. The feeling on the Longview side was electric the entire game. I remember that I never sat down once, not even at halftime. It was the most emotional experience at a football game that I have ever witnessed!!!

My dad was coaching that night for Longview and I grew up hearing stories about it... I also heard about the game the year before when Earl ran through the Lobos all night.

Isn't 1975 the year that Longview lost in the Semis to Odessa Permian on a 63 yard field goal? That must have been a great ball game!

The Commerce - Sealy state title game at Baylor. Commerce going for two and the outright win at the end instead of kicking the extra point and settling for a co-championship. Gutsy call, I read where the coach was second guessing himself afterwards, but great call and impossible not to respect.

Originally posted by Buckeye1980

Might not be that long ago, but I will never forget how I felt the last few seconds of Gilmer's state championship game in 2004 , it sent chills down my spine ......hope I feel it again this year, but it will never be like that first State Championship!

I'll agree, this was an awesome ballgame...I bet the Gilmer faithful had knots in their stomachs the whole 4th quarter....

Gilmer was dominating through the air, Jasper on the ground...both ran the spread though, it was a wide open contest...

the 1983 Daingerfield team

23 years later and they STILL hold the national record for shutouts in a 16 game season with 14

And only 8 points allowed in a 16 game season

Technically the defense didn't give up ANY points, the offense gave up a 2 pt safety and 6 pts on an interception return, if I remember correctly. Some of you players out there correct me about the int. return

So technically the defense gave up 0 points in 16 games, another national record

That Jefferson-Daingerfield Quarter Finals game in 86 was good, but I think Jefferson had it locked up. That was the only team I ever saw take Johnny Hurndon AND Steve Stutsman out of the picture.

I would say my fondest memory, as of right now, were Daingerfield's seasons from 83 to 85. Alot of GREAT players were on those teams. Meeting Gladewater in the playoffs four years in a row. In 83, D'field smoked them 51-0, but in 84, they FOUGHT to a 27-27 tie in which Daingerfield won on penetrations (they didn't have overtime in high school back then). I have a DVD that highlights Daingerfield's seasons from that time, and quite a bit of it is that 84 game with Gladewater, and my heart pumps everytime I watch it.

Also, beating Southlake Carroll in the Regionals in 1989 when everybody thought they were unstoppable. That was pretty awesome!

Originally posted by FBJ

My favorite East Texas High School memory was when Texas High, Marshall, Nacogdoches, and Pine Tree were all 5A football teams.

...and the 1974 John Tyler Lions beat them all to win district, then went on to win state.

Man, that was a long time ago. :D

Pewitt's '98 State Championship game was awesome....Brookshire-Royal and the Brahmas exchanged big play after big play...Pewitt's "Mailbox" as he is best known stopped a Brookshire ball carrier on a two point conversion to win the game....Two Morris counties schools played on Pentington Field that day, so the crowd was enormous for a 2A game...Even Santa Claus came by helicopter before the game...

Tatum's whole season last year. Being such a small school in 3A and doing what the Eagles did made Tatum very proud. The biggest memory of the season for me was when Canton thought Tatum should have let them win just cause of the shooting incedent. Canton said Tatum had no heart after the game... anyways, I loved spankin Canton.

I was at that Tatum/Canton game....It was exciting, no matter what Canton says about Tatum's heart....I know the Eagles had 10 times as much class as Canton's players and coach....The way they acted should have embarrassed the school...

the game was exciting non the less...