Favorite East Texas Highschool football memory!

TCUFrog05

The Tatum/Canton game is rembered for the way the Canton coach and a few of their players make an A$4 out of themselves.

It was the Championship game with Hutto that was so exciting where the lead changed several times and stayed close. This was a real spectators game with Tatum winning 38 to 34. Hutto was still in the game untill the last 8 seconds with J. Humphries sacking the Hutto QB the last two plays.

This isn't a memory from watching a game.....But the first time I played on astroturf will stay in my mind forever...It was such a big deal to a bunch of high school kids...And this was the 90's when all of East Texas was still grass...The game was at Pennington Field, and it was old school Turf...some of us left with burns that will always remind us of that day....LOL

Back in '97 when Harleton played at Elysian Fields for the district championship. Channels 3, 6, and 7 did live broadcasts. There were probably 6,000 fans. There were satelite trucks on the track.

Walking out onto that field was awesome. For the first time in school history we had clinched a playoff birth in 2-A. We were taking on the #2 team in the state. Electric. Man, I can almost remember it now.

Of course we lost 52-17. But, it was still cool at the start of the game.

Hope the cats fare better this friday against the #1 team.

Either way those big games are awesome. I always wondered what it would have been like to play for a state championship. Or to walk on the field at Texas Stadium. To the kids who still have the chance--make the most of it.

'02 jefferson going up against #2 ranked spring hill at spring hill. spring hill was a favorite to win in every paper. jeffersons defense shut down SHs offense and denied thomas(UNT) holding him to 80 yards on the night and the jo jo rawls/calvin dennis duo did wonders running the ball for the dogs. rawls had 280 yards and im not sure of dennis' exact numbers but i know he had over 100 on the ground being that 98 of them came on one td run from the 2 yard line. jeffeson came away with the upset 28-14. i know most people dont remember this but i can tell you for the '03 seniors it was by far our favorite football memory.

1995 EF @ Spring Hill. EF went up big early, then Spring Hill poured it on in the second half. EF was up by less than a touchdown with under a minute to go. Spring Hill had the ball 4th and goal from around the 2 yard line. Our undersized LB stood up their running back at the goal line and turned him back to preserve the win. That would later prove to be the win that sent us to the 3A playoffs for the only time in school history. We were picked to finish near the bottom in district that year. That season started a run of success that would last a decade at EF. I enjoyed being a part of it.

I was 9 and I can't remember what game it was...it was the 1985 season...it was a playoff game at Texas Stadium...I can still hear the band and see the cheerleaders on the sidelines like it was yesterday. It was so cold that my mother had me wrapped up like a mummy!! I was so excited...we went to all of the games, but this one is the one that I will always remember b/c this is the game that I fell in love with the Daingerfield Tigers. I tugged on my Mom's jacket and ask her "Who caught the ball...what is his name Mom?" #80 was Steve Stutsman and he seemed like he was 10 feet tall and would catch that ball everytime. Instead of running around like a wild little child, I started to watch the game...I had to see if #80 was going to catch the ball...AND HE DID!! Can't beat first time you fell in love!!

Originally posted by Slikk1803

Pewitt's '98 State Championship game was awesome....Brookshire-Royal and the Brahmas exchanged big play after big play...Pewitt's "Mailbox" as he is best known stopped a Brookshire ball carrier on a two point conversion to win the game....Two Morris counties schools played on Pentington Field that day, so the crowd was enormous for a 2A game...Even Santa Claus came by helicopter before the game... [/quot

I believe the "Mailbox's" name was Melvin McGarrity

Originally posted by natty23

'02 jefferson going up against #2 ranked spring hill at spring hill. spring hill was a favorite to win in every paper. jeffersons defense shut down SHs offense and denied thomas(UNT) holding him to 80 yards on the night and the jo jo rawls/calvin dennis duo did wonders running the ball for the dogs. rawls had 280 yards and im not sure of dennis' exact numbers but i know he had over 100 on the ground being that 98 of them came on one td run from the 2 yard line. jeffeson came away with the upset 28-14. i know most people dont remember this but i can tell you for the '03 seniors it was by far our favorite football memory.

I remember that year. The first district game for Jefferson was at home against Sabine. Sabine was 5-0 and Jefferson was 0-5. Jefferson ended up beating us 23-21 I think. It was a heck of a game. And then the next week yall beat the undefeated Panthers and Sabine beat White Oak for the first time in a long time. Dang that was a fun year.

My favorite memory was the entire 2001 season for the Winnsboro Red Raiders. They set records on top of records that year. The game that I remember most that year was the 42-14 win over the Atlanta Rabbits. The Rabbits came into the game heavily favored. Winnsboro was not to be denied though that night. If I remember right it was like 28-0 at halftime. I also remember that both sides were packed for that game.

I will NEVER forget the 04' Troup/Pewitt shootout! Man what a game. When all seemed lost our speed back busted a 98 yard run that changed the whole game!

I also recall listening to Smoaky last year when he announced the Gilmer/Canton game. I was cleaning out the interior of my truck listening to the game on KTBB and kept running in the house and telling my wife each time one of the teams would score!

Originally posted by hoopscoach17

Owl 54, it was the next season, '76 that Longview lost to Permian in the semis, 10-9 on a 63 yard field goal. The '75 season ended with a 28-21 loss to Plano in bi-distict back at Rose Stadium.

You're a year back.

74, Longview lost to Plano.

75, Longview went to the State Semi-Finals out in Lubbock.

76, ended at Texas Stadium in the 1st round against Sherman with a 10-3 loss.

Mine, I think it would have to be the three games in a day for me. 2004, Started out by heading over to Waco for the Southlake Carroll against Lufkin game. What a game it turned out to be with SLC getting the slight edge. The entire game for me though, I was on the phone getting updates from someone back in Longview watching Tyler Lee win their first ever state championship. The game was a fun one though for me, especially entering the stadium as we got a huge welcome from all the Lufkin fans. That's what I love about East Texas. Never been hugged before by an opposing fan before HA.

As soon as the SLC/Lp game was over, though, we headed over to Irving. And got there just intime! We caught the last 6 or so minutes of the Marshall/Ennis game. What a game that one was also at Texas Stadium.

And to finish the night off, we stayed and watched Gilmer beat the holy moly out of *thinks* O what is that team called. I don't know. Someone that was yellow..SYNDER! That's it. We left midway through the 3rd quarter of that one though as it got too bad.

What a day it was.

Originally posted by littlered47

I will NEVER forget the 04' Troup/Pewitt shootout! Man what a game. When all seemed lost our speed back busted a 98 yard run that changed the whole game!

I also recall listening to Smoaky last year when he announced the Gilmer/Canton game. I was cleaning out the interior of my truck listening to the game on KTBB and kept running in the house and telling my wife each time one of the teams would score!

I bet you got your excersise that night lol

Seeing Nick Sanders block that fieldgoal picking it up for Kilgore and going to the endzone for a touchdown to win in the 2004 State Champ game that whole season was a spec one for me when he blocked it and picked it up I looked at an old school mate Brian Mercer and said they ante gonna catch him he's gone before Nick even had two strides with the ball because I had watched him run back punts for TDs his whole HS career Man what a moment:happy65:

Originally posted by EFSig

1995 EF @ Spring Hill. EF went up big early, then Spring Hill poured it on in the second half. EF was up by less than a touchdown with under a minute to go. Spring Hill had the ball 4th and goal from around the 2 yard line. Our undersized LB stood up their running back at the goal line and turned him back to preserve the win. That would later prove to be the win that sent us to the 3A playoffs for the only time in school history. We were picked to finish near the bottom in district that year. That season started a run of success that would last a decade at EF. I enjoyed being a part of it.

Man that was fun....something like 8 sophs and a freshman starting on offense for the Jackets. What a blast. Shadowens made a heck of a play to stop SH. Still one of my favorite coaching memories. Something special.

Loved the State Champ game...Gilmer -Jasper 2004!!! It was an exciting game from beginning to end!

Also, I remember watching Red Jones run up and down the football field when I was in high school. Any other Buckeye fans remember him? He sure put on a show!

Originally posted by runthediveplease
Originally posted by EFSig

Man that was fun....something like 8 sophs and a freshman starting on offense for the Jackets. What a blast. Shadowens made a heck of a play to stop SH. Still one of my favorite coaching memories. Something special.

Let's not forget the 3 senior offensive linemen! Wallace, Rogers, and Ware...I was the worst of the three, but loved running the 27 stutter! I still appreciate all you did for us on that team Coach Humphries.