5A Girls to stay at 2 miles

Incredi-Bull

A vote to increase the distance class 5A girls run from two miles to 5K was voted down by the UIL. Out of 1035 state superintendents surveyed, only 22 percent chose to reply yes or no. 28% had no opinion and the rest apparently didn't reply at all. A majority of 5A coaches do favor the change but Texas and Oklahoma remain the only states where girls run two miles. The rest run 4K, 3 miles or 5K.

I think its the wrong decision by the UIL....again.

UIL makes bad decisions very often. Who needs a vote? We need a school governing body that can make decisions like this one...it isnt hard to know...like someone else said if you have a 13 year old girl in the 7th grade running the same 2 mile course as the 18 year old senior then there is NO progression. I dont care what you...there needs to be a change

Originally posted by ImInTheTruck

I guess the only thing that can be done is for all meet directors to only offer 5K races for girls and not attend the ones that are 3200m. When UIL sees the only time the girls run 3200m is when they are sponsoring the meet, maybe they will get a clue.

This would be nice...but it will never happen

Maybe the girls should play basketball on 8 ft. goals, we don't want them to strain themselves shooting on the same size goals as boys. Girls playing soccer should probably play on a 50 yd. field. This is ridiculous! How many Supt's. actually know what a 5k is? I know Pine Tree's does because he actually goes and supports Cross Country, but he is an exception.

Originally posted by tortuga13

Maybe the girls should play basketball on 8 ft. goals, we don't want them to strain themselves shooting on the same size goals as boys. Girls playing soccer should probably play on a 50 yd. field. This is ridiculous! How many Supt's. actually know what a 5k is? I know Pine Tree's does because he actually goes and supports Cross Country, but he is an exception.

This is the most true statement on this whole forum...Why would they limit them because of the distance in this sport and not in the others? That might need to be the line to set it off in the future...And as far as the supts...i dont think but about 2% actually know anything about cc...especially in a 5a school...their salaries are the most important thing...so who knows.

Originally posted by tortuga13

I am going to host a 5k next yr and invite schools and public. Oh, and last yr. when I did a marathon, most of the teachers where I taught said "Cool, how far is that?"

People really dont have a clue how far our kids run, if they did, there would be more spectators.