Jones upset with Romo starting!!

I'm not making it up!!!!

Jones 'disappointed' about move to Romo

Associated Press

Posted: 2 hours ago

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Team owner Jerry Jones is disappointed the Dallas Cowboys are turning to Tony Romo at quarterback, although it's not because he lacks faith in his former backup.

Romo more than ready!

Cowboys QB Tony Romo will make his first career start this Sunday night against the Carolina Panthers. Hear from the four-year pro on replacing Drew Bledsoe in the Dallas huddle.

"I'm disappointed at the reason we're having to make this change," Jones said Thursday.

The change has forced Jones to lower his expectations for this season. He and coach Bill Parcells frequently said during the summer they thought this team could be "special," their code word for a team that could go deep in the playoffs.

Now?

"I have to be a realist," he said. "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. It just hasn't worked out. That to me is a step back."

Jones was counting on the Cowboys being a lot better than 3-3 and was expecting Bledsoe to be a big part of their success. Instead, the same problems Bledsoe has long faced - sacks and interceptions - are reasons for Dallas' slow start.

Parcells benched Bledsoe at halftime Monday night against the New York Giants and turned to Romo, who'd been with the team since 2003 but hadn't thrown a pass until the previous game.

The former Division I-AA player of the year was 14-of-25 for 227 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a 2-point conversion, but also threw three interceptions. Still, it was good enough for Parcells to announce Wednesday that Romo is now the starter.

He realizes things don't look as good now. The Cowboys have lost to the three best teams they've played and beaten the three worst, a recipe for mediocrity - something Dallas is trying to shake out of. The club hasn't won a playoff game since 1996 and hasn't made it to the postseason since 2003.

Giving Romo a chance now also could benefit the Cowboys in the long run because they'll find out whether he deserves the job next year. He received an extension through 2007 during the preseason.

Jones was quick to point out that wasn't a reason for this move, saying it is not a sign that "we were junking this season and just putting the team together for the future."

Romo will be the ninth starting quarterback for Dallas since Troy Aikman. Romo is the biggest long shot to make it up the depth chart, having outlasted Jones-picked candidates Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson, plus old Parcells favorites Vinny Testaverde and Bledsoe.

Jones, who carries the dual role of owner and general manager, defended his quarterback carousel, noting that he's "consciously tried not to go to the top of the draft to get a quarterback" and acknowledging that might have to change if Romo also isn't the answer.

"Part of the responsibility I have is how you address the long term situation at quarterback," he acknowledged.

Jones is still optimistic about Romo.

"I think he's a top athlete," Jones said. "I like his approach to competing. He's got a natural leadership quality about him. ... He's pocket sensitive. He's got a good feel of where it's coming from, the pressure."

Jones said he and Parcells have talked about the quarterbacks in "probably 50 percent of the conversations we have," so there wasn't a lengthy discussion about the change. He added that he does not regret sticking with Bledsoe so long, instead of having broken in Romo earlier this year or even in previous years.

"I know why we made the decisions," he said. "I would have liked for them to turn out better, but I don't regret it."

Brad Sham has already dismissed the Parcells/Jones supposed feud. It's fed by a a sound bite that takes Jones out of context. Jones supports Romo, but felt that Bledsoe gave the Boys the best chance to win. That's pretty understandable, considering it's early in the season, and Romo is an unknown.

Originally posted by Slikk1803

Well then quit Jerry !!!

Do the team some good and sell them....LOL

Its his fault anyways, Mr. Owner/GM----he knows squat...

He has brought us SuperBowls, so I would rather him stay.

Jimmy Johnson brought the superbowls....Jerry just handed him the keys....And when Jimmy got all the attention Jerry whined and Jimmy was gone....Now look at 'em, what has he won since Jimmy's boys have been gone....

Originally posted by Slikk1803

Jimmy Johnson brought the superbowls....Jerry just handed him the keys....And when Jimmy got all the attention Jerry whined and Jimmy was gone....Now look at 'em, what has he won since Jimmy's boys have been gone....

That was a 2 way street. At least Jerry opens his pocketbook. What has Jimmy Johnson done since he left?

I think everyone is misinterpreting what JJ is saying.... I gather that he is disappointed that the season has turned out this way....

He knew going into this season that if they had to turn to Romo it meant either Bledsoe was hurt, or the season wasn't going as well as they had hoped....

I don't think that he has a problem with Romo starting, I think it's more of him being upset that the season has been the way it has and that they are having to change QB's....

How many teams bench their starting QB and turn it over to a rookie (he's virtually a rookie on the field) and win the Super Bowl? Not many.... And that's why JJ is disappointed....

What has Jerry done since Jimmy left? And the Super Bowl win by Switzer doesn't count to me, because I think a goup of SDCers could have coached that team and won a Super Bowl. I'm not saying he should sell the team or anything, but Jerry Jones IS a big reason why the Cowboys have fallen to mediocrity in the NFL--his draft decisions over the past years have been complete busts for the most part--although he did find Witten---they have yet to establish replacements for their Big Three--no franchise QB, RB(jones is gettin there) and their WR are getting up there in age and TO is TO.....I will say this, Parcells has done nothing in his stay in Dallas to prove how great of a coach he is, I really do think he'll be gone at the end of the year...

Originally posted by GTownDesperado

I think everyone is misinterpreting what JJ is saying.... I gather that he is disappointed that the season has turned out this way....

He knew going into this season that if they had to turn to Romo it meant either Bledsoe was hurt, or the season wasn't going as well as they had hoped....

I don't think that he has a problem with Romo starting, I think it's more of him being upset that the season has been the way it has and that they are having to change QB's....

How many teams bench their starting QB and turn it over to a rookie (he's virtually a rookie on the field) and win the Super Bowl? Not many.... And that's why JJ is disappointed....

My thoughts exactly. The context of his frustration is he's disappointed that they are now having to go to Romo. In essence he's disappointed in Bledsoe's performance forcing them to go to Romo.

Originally posted by Seminole44

I will say this, Parcells has done nothing in his stay in Dallas to prove how great of a coach he is, I really do think he'll be gone at the end of the year...

You maybe right on that seminole, but if somehow Romo shows that he can lead this team to the promise land, maybe not this year but next, I think Bill will want to stick around for one more year. Personally I would think he would want to go out on the upside than retiring and leaving on a down note. jmo

Jimmy and Jerry benefited from each other, one no more than the other. Jimmy got his from an owner with an open checkbook and more importantly, no salary cap.

What did Jimmy do without Jerry in Miami and with the salary cap? He does hold one Dolphin coaching record. He coached them to the most lopsided playoff loss in Dolphin history.

Check the story on how Jimmy went behind Shula's back and talked to Dolphin's owner Wayne Huizenga and convinced him to fire Shula, and also used his Fox NFL commentary position to turn public opinon against Shula. It may have been time for Shula to go, but that is too cold blooded. It also sounds familar to someone sitting in the plane in Austin while JJ fired Landry.

With his title of GM and in charge of everything guy, jerry jones has been and is responsible for the team and the drafting that they have done.........right ?

Well then, Smiley Jones, what is your excuse for that offensive line you have put together?

That is the main reason for the QB scare.:thumbdown:

Here comes 7and 9 for 2006 !!

I agree with texpal. While Romo lacks experience, I think Dallas will come together and make the playoffs.

BTW, what does Jerry Jones have to do with Bledsoe and Romo throwing interceptions. Blaming JJ is just an excuse to why Dallas is losing. Get off the man's back and support the team as a whole.