***David Smoak's East Texas Top 10's (Saturday, October 28th)***

Smoaky

Wow, what a weekend, especially in 2A and 3A---I've never seen anything like it---and with two unranked 2A teams beating unbeaten and highly-ranked teams...it really forced a complete change in the 2A poll. Quite frankly, I almost had to start all over again. No, it's not normal for an unbeaten number-one team to fall so far down in the rankings, especially losing by five on the road, but this just happened to be the perfect storm, and the "wrong" weekend for Jefferson to lose. Both Harleton and Elysian Fields had to move into the poll with their wins...and with other results...and previous results----I did everything possible to be as fair as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I truly believe I "might" have a legitimate answer for most any question...

I know some of you will wonder where is the rhyme or reason----but if you dig into everyone's record, their wins, losses, and strength of schedule---it should make more sense.

Okay, that's probably impossible.

The great news is unlike Division One-A in college football, we have a playoff system.

Class 5-A:

1. Lufkin (8-0)(Beat The Woodlands 31-7)

2. Longview (6-2)(Beat John Tyler 28-21)

3. John Tyler (3-5)(Lost to Longview 28-21)

4. Mesquite (6-2)(Beat Mesquite Horn 42-12)

5. Tyler Lee (6-2)(Beat North Mesquite 17-14)

6. North Mesquite (4-4)(Lost to Tyler Lee 17-14)

7. Mesquite Horn (1-7)(Lost to Mesquite 42-12)

Class 4-A:

1. Texas High (8-0)(Beat Lindale 62-14)

2. Whitehouse (7-1)(Beat Henderson 20-12)

3. North Lamar (6-2)(Beat Mount Pleasant 33-27/OT)

4. Paris (6-2)(Beat Sulphur Springs 28-15)

5. Marshall (5-3)(Lost to Nacogdoches 27-20)

6. Hallsville (5-3)(Beat Kilgore 17-10)

7. Nacogdoches (4-4)(Beat Marshall 27-20)

8. Kilgore (5-3)(Lost to Hallsville 17-10)

9. Jacksonville (5-3)(Beat Pine Tree 23-3)

10. Lindale (6-2)(Lost to Texas High 62-14)

Class 3-A:

1. Gilmer (8-0)(Beat Mineola 62-12)

2. Liberty-Eylau (6-2)(Did Not Play)

3. Diboll (7-1)(Beat Center 28-20)

4. Rains (7-1)(Beat Quinlan Ford 27-3)

5. Palestine (6-2)(Lost to Madisonville 28-14)

6. Crockett (5-3)(Beat Carthage 43-0)

7. Rusk (5-3)(Beat Huntington 51-0)

8. Canton (5-3)(Beat Brownsboro 13-8)

9. Carthage (6-2)(Lost to Crockett 43-0)

10. Brownsboro (5-3)(Lost to Canton 13-8)

Class 2-A:

1. Paul Pewitt (8-0)(Beat Queen City 34-6)

2. New Boston (7-1)(Beat Daingerfield 35-28)

3. Newton (5-2)(Beat Hemphill 39-5)

4. DeKalb (7-1)(Beat Rivercrest 42-21)

5. Troup (7-1)(Lost to Elysian Fields 24-21)

6. Tatum (6-2)(Beat West Rusk 76-0)

7. Winnsboro (7-1)(Beat Como-Pickton 53-0)

8. Harleton (7-1)(Beat Jefferson 12-7)

9. Jefferson (7-1)(Lost to Harleton 12-7)

10. Elysian Fields (6-2)(Beat Troup 24-21)

Class 1-A:

1. Alto (8-0)(Beat Cayuga 61-0)

2. Joaquin (7-1)(Beat Tenaha 40-14)

3. Lovelady (7-1)(Beat Colmesneil 56-0)

4. Groveton (7-1)(Beat Burkeville 48-0)

5. Tenaha (6-2)(Lost to Joaquin 40-14)

6. Beckville (6-2)(Beat Carlisle 34-14)

7. Union Hill (7-1)(Beat Karnack 78-0)

8. Carlisle (7-1)(Lost to Beckville 34-14)

9. Grapeland (6-2)(Beat Cushing 34-18)

10. Overton (5-3)(Beat Mount Enterprise 27-23)

You make a great point about the head-to-head between Hooks and Elysian Fields...

However that was back in September, and eventually there has to be a statue of limitations, right?

Secondly, while Hooks' two losses are to our current #1 and #2, there is very little separation from 1-10 in Class 2-A, if not deeper than that.

Meanwhile, Elysian Fields must and will get credit for beating previously-unbeaten Troup, and the same Troup team that beat Tatum.

Smoaky

I can't argue at all with the poll. New Boston and Paul Pewitt are in the same district, so we'll know soon which one is #1. Amazing that Paul Pewitt lost as many starters as they did last year and are back in the thick of things.

But I got a feeling New Boston is for real. Only loss to a 4A team. They gave Gilmer all they could handle in a scrimmage. This team is good.

But rankings wind up fixing themselves by the time the season ends.

GTownDesperado,

So with your math, how can Joaquin be below Tenaha after beating Tenaha 40-14?

I gave Beckville the benefit of the doubt a week ago, but you're obviously forgetting Tenaha beating Beckville the next week---and then that same Tenaha losing to Joaquin.

Your memory is very selective, "isn't it"?

That's what I thought.

Smoaky

WillieMakit,

Yes, and I hate that about Quitman, but with both those unranked teams, Harleton and Elysian Fields winning against highly-ranked teams---and with Harleton's only loss to Winnsboro (42-14)...I just couldn't find another way to keep them inside the Top 10.

Actually, Quitman was hurt badly "for this week" by Jefferson losing...

I'm not thrilled with it myself---but I just couldn't find another way...

Smoaky

Brad,

I don't know about that, but I do know DeKalb's only loss was 38-35 to New Boston.

I also believe DeKalb might've benefitted as much as anyone with the chaos from Friday night in East Texas 2A.

Smoaky

Originally posted by BLEEDINHORNETBLUE01

there is no way you could put e.f. in front of hooks we demolished them. the only two games we have lost is to #1 & #2 . the hornets have got to be ahead of e.f.

That was a totally different O than what is playing now. I think you got a taste at the end of the game on what is playing today. The QB that drove them 90 yards to score their only TD, is the same one that is getting it done! Why would they show you everything if they might have to play someone in 17 down the road in the playoffs.

Originally posted by Smoaky

Brad,

I don't know about that, but I do know DeKalb's only loss was 38-35 to New Boston.

I also believe DeKalb might've benefitted as much as anyone with the chaos from Friday night in East Texas 2A.

Smoaky

they defintely benefitted more, thought they would probably drop to #8

jreid28,

As I mentioned in the original post on this thread---the Class 2-A rankings are a complete "mess"...and with everything that's occurred, Tatum losing twice, Jefferson and Troup losing last week, and with everyone else having at least one loss---I vaulted Paul Pewitt to the top...

This is nothing against any one program, and especially against New Boston---but after all that happened, this was the best way to shake things down at the top.

I also know those two programs will get to know each other in two weeks.

Smoaky

Smoaky,

Listened to your show on Friday headed to Lindale. Was a pleasure to listen to your show. You told a Lindale listener they were in for a treat to see Mallett play. I don't think Mallett disappointed your listener going 16-20 for 442 yds & 5 TD passes. The four misses were dropped by the receivers.

Always nice to listen to you. By the way my wife was interested in hearing more about your experience with T.O.

bordertown,

Wow, the T.O. experience literally took on a life of "its" own---but I'll stop there...whew.

I noticed Mallett's stats too---he's incredible.

And thank you for the nice comments about the show---just wish we had an even stronger signal.

With the time change occurring earlier today...it will weaken the opportunities for many---but at least we have the ktbb.com audiostreaming options.

Smoaky

Smoaky,

I dont see how Joaquin is ahead of Beckville either...i dont think Teneha should be b4 Joaquin either though...i think the order of those 3 teams should be Beckville, Joaquin, and Teneha...and yes i know that Teneha beat Beckville but lets be logical here...everybody on here whether they would say it or not..would agree that if their team lost 2 starting defensive ends and only had 1 experienced end to replace them with...and dont find this out until hrs b4 the game...you will NOT exactly be in straight football mode...and then people will say..dont cheat and it wont happen...when u think u are doin something right...you are gonna do it...but hey maybe i'm just dumb and and have a biased opinion...u tell me?

Let's look at the 1A picture, so you think Beckville still loses to the UIL in Austin. Ok I give you that. Now Beckville wins out... Overton will be no match. Joaquin has done to Teneha what Beckville should have done. Undoubtably we didn't, but, our kids got new 2 hours before kickoff that they lost both the starter and backup defensive ends and a game that they had worked hard for the week before. Wind out of sails would be an understatement. Ask Carlisle our boys rebounded well, and played like they have played all year. The boss in Teneha who used to be at Beckville, but I think run out on a rail would be appropriate, and the football boss in Joaquin who wanted the Beckville job in the offseason had a bone to pick with Beckville and picked a very appropriate time to pick it (for them) Look for the game of the year when Beckville meets Tenaha in the Regional champ game of small 1a's without the boss to give bad news ahead of time to help Tenaha, we (Beckville) will be ready to play

BFCatfan78,

You obviously didn't read some of my responses involving my Class 1-A poll two weeks ago, "after" the forfeit meeting.

Listen---"in my mind", Beckville gets a win over Joaquin involving my polls....

But, their loss to Tenaha, regardless of all the surrounding events, is a loss.

And follow-up that up with Joaquin hammering Tenaha...and I have to move Joaquin in front of Beckville and Tenaha..."for now".

I know you have anger towards Joaquin for what occurred, and I don't blame you for being frustrated, but I think we're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm excited for Beckville----and I like Coach Hubbard, so good luck the rest of the way.

Smoaky