PLAYOFF BOUND TEAMS

BigRedFan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistake, Whitehouse still needs to win at least one of their last two games in order to clinch (creating a possible four-way tie for first) but even if they lost them both, it's be a crazy chain of events for them to miss the playoffs. It'd come down to points and I think they'd still be fine.

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sport...hampColumn.html

Originally posted by MNMLady

If I'm not mistake, Whitehouse still needs to win at least one of their last two games in order to clinch (creating a possible four-way tie for first) but even if they lost them both, it's be a crazy chain of events for them to miss the playoffs. It'd come down to points and I think they'd still be fine.

It would not come down to points in the event of a 4 way tie involving Whitehouse. It would only come down to wins vs. each team involved. Whitehouse has 100% clinched! THEY ARE IN AND RUNNING!:thumbsup: :sweat: ;) :runningdog:

I honestly don't understand how Whitehouse could miss the playoffs.. if they did lose the last two that would put them at 5-2. Whitehouse has head to head over Hallsville and Kilgore and if they did end up 5-2 that would be because Marshall and Nac beat them.. Whitehouse would be the 3rd team and go to the playoffs.

Originally posted by Taxman

It would not come down to points in the event of a 4 way tie involving Whitehouse. It would only come down to wins vs. each team involved. Whitehouse has 100% clinched! THEY ARE IN AND RUNNING!:thumbsup: :sweat: ;) :runningdog:

I was told it was only head to head if only two teams were tied. Three or more and it goes to points only between those involved. I could be wrong, but that's the way I was told it happens in the event of a multiple team tie.

Yeah, but Marshall can still beat Kilgore. Doesn't matter, it's practically a given. Just the math has to be sorted out before it can be called a true clinch. Guess I'm just splitting hairs. Good luck to the Cats, just not this week, lol.

They could lose the last two, and it doesn't matter who beats who. If Marshall beats Kilgore......Whitehouse IN. If Kilgore beats Marshall......Whitehouse IN. If Hallsville wins last 2 with either of the above happening......Whitehouse IN.:thumbsup:

yes, Rains clinched last friday against QF and have Nevada Community and Royse City left to play. NC hasn't won a district game and RC is the only other undefeated team in district 10-3a. RC and ER will probably play for district championship and Rains will go DII and Royse City DI

Just got a copy of the rules regarding head-to-head vs. point system. UIL doesn't have it on it's website because it's apparently determined by each district how they want to handle ties. The District 12-4A district handbook rule regarding playoff ties reads:

"The following plan for determining the Division I and Division II playoff teams shall be used:

A. The team with the highest percentage of district games won will be the district champion, with the runners-up being determined by teh second and third best percentage of games won. The high school with the largest enrollment will be the Division I representative and the Division II representative will be seeded based on order of finish between the top three teams.

B. District 17-AAAA (actually District 12-4AAAA but since the district didn't change they just left the rules as they are) will follow the NCAA tiebreaker procedure.

C. In the event two (2) teams are tied in the percentage of games won, the teams will be declared co-champions and the team to represent the district in the playoffs as champion will be determined in the following manner:

*The team that defeated the other will advance as champion and the other advances as runner-up.

D. If three or more schools tie for District championship, each team will share in the championship, and the District Champion shall be determined as follows:

*The team with the highest percentage of wins against tied teams shall be the District winner, and the runners-up will be determined by the second best percentage of games won against tied teams.

*If the teams are tied with percentage of wins against tied teams, the District champion shall be determined by points difference of the games involving these teams (points not to exceed 21 per game). If two (2) of the three (3) teams are tied in the points system, the representative will be determind by the results of their game.

*The runners-up will be the teams with the next highest points difference.

E. Winner declared, but tie for runners-up (use C or D above).

F. If the points difference is tied, then coin tosses will determine the seeding order. The parties involved determine the procedure of the coin toss."

Sooooo, if Whitehouse wins the championship and three or more teams tie for second or third, then it's head-to-head among the tied teams and points only if their records against each other are tied (i.e. three teams all beat each other and are 1-1 against the other teams in the tie).

Originally posted by HarletonPride84

maud is going to playoffs?!

It's not hard when you have a five-team district and three playoff spots. If Union Hill runs the table, then the other teams could have a 2-2 record and still get in. I think Karnack is pretty much out cause they are 0-3 and play Maud Friday night. Bowie and Union Hill are undefeated but still have to play each other. Either way, it looks like it's going to be Union Hill, Bowie and Maud with Karnack and Detroit sitting at home. Shame too cause Karnack was so excited about a shot at the playoffs against other real small schools after Harleton and Big Sandy were bumped up to 2A. They've just had no luck this season.

Originally posted by HarletonPride84

maud is going to playoffs?!

It's not hard when you have a five-team district and three playoff spots. If Union Hill runs the table, then the other teams could have a 2-2 record and still get in. I think Karnack is pretty much out cause they are 0-3 and play Maud Friday night. Bowie and Union Hill are undefeated but still have to play each other. Either way, it looks like it's going to be Union Hill, Bowie and Maud with Karnack and Detroit sitting at home. Shame too cause Karnack was so excited about a shot at the playoffs against other real small schools after Harleton and Big Sandy were bumped up to 2A. They've just had no luck this season.

You have obviously never coached, especially at a place that hasn't won in a long time. It has been an uphill battle but the kids see the light at the end of the tunnell and things are only going to be getting better in Cardinal land...We didn't do the re-alignment or even the schedule...just did the best with the hand that was dealt. Don't belittle or judge until you have been in that situation...you could call it a lot of things....but EASY sure ain't one of them.

The word EASY was no where in my post. If it was easy, Karnack and Detroit could be in the mix. I was simply stating the obvious. Five teams, three spots. A 2-2 season can get you in. How well Maud has prepared or how talented they are was not mention, nor implied. I didn't judge or belittle anyone and how you got that out of my post is a real stretch. If they get in the playoffs it's because they deserve to be there, but even you have to admit that being in a district without Harleton and Big Sandy makes it less difficult than in previous years. Relax.

Originally posted by razorball1

Maud is in the playoffs for the first time since 94 they must really have some coaching going on over there. I think they are 5-3 overall. and they were like 2-28 over the past three years.

Go Cards!!!!!! I've heard they have a much better team this year and would definitely go if it were a 6 team district. No one should take any credit away from this kids. They have a lot to be proud of.

The pride in Maud has to be the highest in years. They have been too many other team's doormats for too long. GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!