National Championship Possibilites & Discussions

myronyellow

Ohio State would beat West Virginia 41-15 if the Mountaineers made it.

Louisville would give them the better match because of their offensive capabilities, but they'd lose too. 31-21 in that one.

Texas has that outside chance, but I'm still not convinced that my Longhorns would beat OSU the 2nd time around. Ohio State would win it something like 28-20. The chip on Texas' shoulders would make for a better game. Plus it wouldn't be McCoy's first BIG game again.

Louisville, West Virginia and Rutgers all play each other, plus Louisville and West Virginia both play Pitt. If the OSU/Michigan game is not a close game, don't count Texas out. Auburn and Florida will most likely meet in the SEC Championship, unless Arkansas wins out. If all works out and Texas continues to win, Texas still has a chance. They just need convincing wins from here on. I'd honestly like to see A&M 10-1 or 9-2 when they come to Austin....

A USC-type loss could happen with Louisville or West Virginia and Pitt, but I'm thinking that one of them will come out undefeated.

At the moment, Florida is 7-1 and has a winable schedule up to the SEC Championship game with .. probably Arkansas. And they can beat Arkansas.

I don't think that UT would jump the Gators IF both teams won out.

Good article by Chuck Carlton of the Statesman:

"The No. 3 team in the BCS was the second-best team Saturday in Corvallis, Ore.

A furious comeback attempt wasn't enough to save USC from a shocking 33-31 loss to a Oregon State. The result gave hope to every one-loss team in the country, including the defending national champions.

Only Ohio State and Michigan seem immune to the weekly figure-eight demolition derby that keeps claiming quality teams. And those two have a date Nov. 18 in Columbus. Only one team – probably Ohio State – will be left standing.

Enter Texas, which moved up two notches in the BCS last week to seventh. That may not be as far from second as it sounds.

Unbeatens West Virginia and Louisville meet Thursday in the biggest Big East event since the days of Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing. Scratch another unbeaten.

If Texas can continue winning, it will be helped in the computer polls because of the unexpected success of Big 12 South rivals such as Texas A&M and Oklahoma State.

At season's end, a handful of teams could be lobbying for the right to face the Ohio State-Michigan winner in Glendale, Ariz.

The SEC champion would have a serious claim, especially if it's Auburn or Florida. An undefeated Big East winner could play a part. Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis already started politicking after the Irish fell a couple spots in the BCS.

But the title game might be a rematch, especially if Ohio State narrowly escapes.

Would voters pick Michigan or Texas for a second chance at the Buckeyes?"

Hopefully, the Ags will show up in Austin with a 10-1 record.

Let's see though.....

(1) Michigan would have to lose bad enough to drop below an "undefeated" Louisville/W. Va winner, and "1-loss" Auburn and Florida, as well as "1-loss" Texas. I think that will happen.

(2) The "undefeated" Louisville/W. Va winner would need to get upset by Pitt. When either Louisville or W. Va lose, they will drop like a rock.

(3) Arkansas needs to win the SEC West Division to keep Auburn out of the Championship game. That way, Auburn's out of the BIG ONE.

(4) Arkansas then needs to win the SEC Championship game against Florida, and beat them.

I don't think that either Notre Dame winning out or Arkansas winning out would leap over the Horns in the final BCS poll.

But man, that's a lot of IF's.

Arkansas won't beat both Tennessee and LSU...maybe one but not both. The SEC could end the regular season 11-1 Auburn and Tennessee NOT in their respsective championship game. The top half of the SEC is tough this year even with Georgia and Alabama having average years. I just hope USC loses out! I would wish the same for Notre Dame but they play bad teams until they play USC.

Man, I can just feel the love for USC on Smoaky.com :hug::love::love: :smile2:

I think that USC lost their chance at the BIG ONE. Losses this late in the season will drop a team out of contention ....

I don't see Arkansas winning out either. But I do think that Arkansas will survive to make the SEC Championship game.

But I guarantee you that after the National Championship game is determined, Notre Dame will be the FIRST team selected ASAP!!!!!

Of course, with increased TV coverage ratings and such ..............

Should ND lose to USC (hows that for a choice between which team you'd like to see lose?), how far would ND have to fall in the BSC rankings to be ineligible for going to a BCS bowl?

If it's #12, and ND finishes #12 .... the first chance to take them WILL BE THE GAME THEY'RE TAKEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget the #3 - #11 teams that finished ranked ahead of them in the final poll.

Originally posted by UG_Sooner

maybe but i still think Texas is overrated.

I was in a bar talking to a guy after Texas won their second consecutive Rose Bowl and he said "I still think Vince Young's over rated. Yea, he's a great athlete and all, but he's over rated." What do you call two consecutive Rose Bowl MVPs? A coincidence? Vince Young will be written down in history has one of the best players to ever play the game, even without a Heisman sitting on his mantle.

Any OU fan is going to think Texas is over rated. That just shows how poor of a loser you are. I don't think OU is over rated, heck, they've actually impressed me. A team that had zero QB experience and an OL that was questionable has turned out to be a great offense. Even without Peterson, OU is a good team and should be in the mix of the one loss teams talk