Longest Playoff Drought....???

dugtyjerry

I have noticed alot of talk on here about Alba Golden and how they have turned the corner etc... which is a great thing and i love to see teams that have been doormats for years and years start to have some success. One team that has seemed to have gone unoticed is the loveable losers the Cumby Trojans who are on pace to make the playoffs for the first time in 27 years! What are some other long playoff droughts that are longer then 27 years?

Guest CNOrtega

I just can't fathom how a Texas High School cannot have football. Like Chapel Hill in Mt. Pleasant. They should lose their accredidation. (kidding)

I also find it funny that Chapel Hill thinks they're a basketball school, yet they've never qualified for State or even gotten close.

I played for Virgil Crow when he was at Cumby when we had Quinlan Boles coach Todd Wallace and Gordan Jordan in the backfield we were dressing like 18-20 guys and the JH and JV teams had to stop playing half way through the season becasue they lost to many kids due to "no pass no play". Crow left and the program stopped. Chances are even if Cumby continued playing through the 90's they wouldn't have made the playoffs. Does anyone know when they dropped the program?

Originally posted by CNOrtega

I just can't fathom how a Texas High School cannot have football. Like Chapel Hill in Mt. Pleasant. They should lose their accredidation. (kidding)

I also find it funny that Chapel Hill thinks they're a basketball school, yet they've never qualified for State or even gotten close.

I know in 2005 they made it to the regional semis which is 1 game away from state how is that not close?? and im pretty sure in 2006 they came close to the regional quarterfinals... research research research...

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by bigun08

I know in 2005 they made it to the regional semis which is 1 game away from state how is that not close?? and im pretty sure in 2006 they came close to the regional quarterfinals... research research research...

Ok, I admit when I'm wrong.

I retract the "or even gotten close" from my post.

Still, to claim to be soooo good at basketball, and seeing that basletball practice is pretty much all the boys have to do in the fall athletics wise, you'd think they'd have the State Championship on lockdown status year in and year out.

Guest CNOrtega

Of course, BigUn, there is also the glaring hole that regional semis are 2 games away from State and that the Regional Quarterfinals are essentially like the 2nd round of the playoffs, which is nowhere near State. But you, know, whatever. I guess your definition of close is a lot different than mine.

Didn't Chapel Hill pick up football last year?

Originally posted by TJC_fan

The "multiple team" playoff qualifying rule now should help bring a lot of "LONG TIME NO PLAYOFF" schools to a minimum.

As a coach I didn't like the 3 team format when it first started but I have changed my mind comletely now. Yes, it might water down the playoffs but there are some districts that have three (and maybe 4) quality teams and one would have miss the playoffs...another great aspect is allowing some schools that havn't been to the play-offs in a long time to experience it....we are in that category..it's been 22 years for Maud and the excitement about making the playoffs has the school and town very excited.

BlessedDaily, I am no math wizard, but something doesn't add up. In the Smoaky Historical section, it says that Maud went 4-6-1 in 1994. If they played 11 games, they must have made the playoffs that year. Still 12 years is a long time, congrats on the accomplishment.

Originally posted by bigun08

Ok, I admit when I'm wrong.

I retract the "or even gotten close" from my post.

Still, to claim to be soooo good at basketball, and seeing that basletball practice is pretty much all the boys have to do in the fall athletics wise, you'd think they'd have the State Championship on lockdown status year in and year out.

how are you gonna have things on lock when their are schools dropping every 2 years who are powerhouse basketball teams...KOUNTZE... plus they have a very successful Cross Country team in the fall as well... ALSO you are only able to practice during the sports period nothing more...