Stoops Wanting To Throw Out Big 12 Format

setxsports

Immortal,

No it would not. Read the post again. This is what I've been trying to say. It has nothing to do with Texas or anyone else for that matter.

From the original post:

"There's no way everybody could play everybody else every year, of course, but adding one conference game and doing away with the conference championship is an old debate Stoops and a few others would like to see rekindled."

I too am in agreement over the conference championship games. Everybody should have one or none of them should.

CSmoak,

Yes it COULD. I understand the post and it is obvious that Stoops doesn't like the fact that an inferior North team gets to play in the champ. game and not his Sooners. He needs to quit whining and face the fact that as it now stands the loser of the RRS is not going to play for the conference title.

Some of you are being completely irrational---and your responses are typical of anything Stoops says, you'd disagree with it...instead of truly reading what he said---and realizing it "could" benefit everyone in the conference---and as long as UT continues to dominate----they would actually benefit the most by not having to play the extra game...and a potential upset---and for now, with the North struggling---it "might" hurt their overall strength of schedule.

Ever think of that?

Stoops' stance is absolutely no different than what Mack Brown has said in some ways---Mack is on record questioning the value of the championship game.

Mack agrees with what Tom Osborne said before the conference was formed---the Big XII Championship Game will cost a team a trip to the national championship game. Back then---the North was a dominant of the South, but now it's visa-versa.

'96-Nebraska, was much higher rated (#3 or #4) when they lost to a low-Top 25 or even unranked UT.

'98-Unbeaten, #2 Kansas State was beaten by a little above average Texas A&M.

'01-Texas---that's right, Texas, lost to a red-hot Colorado (who had just beaten Nebraska) and UT was on the verge of the BCS Championship game...with a couple of other things going their way.

'03-Kansas State---manhandled OU...but somehow didn't cost OU a trip to the national championship game...but it sure hurt their momentum of an otherwise great season.

Most of the time, the best team has also won the championship game...

'97-Nebraska (crushed Texas A&M)

'99-Nebraska (beat UT 22-6)

'00-Oklahoma (Edged K-State by 3)

'02-Oklahoma (Beat Colorado 19-7)

'04-Oklahoma (Whipped Colorado 42-3)

'05-Texas (Humiliated Colorado 70-3)

But there have been a few shockers---

I agree with Stoops on this one, and it has nothing to do with UT, OU, Nebraska or anyone else.

But I only agree if the rest of the major conferences refuse to add their own championship game (Big 10, Pac-10, etc...).

What some of you are thinking has nothing to do with Texas or OU...

Whoever wins that game in Dallas will still have the one-game lead over the other (based on the other results), and the head-to-head tiebreaker.

I will be interested in the feedback on this subject if UT wins the Big XII Championship Game (which I think they will)...but lose strength of schedule points in the BCS and are knocked out of the National Championship Game. Or even worse, if they're upset---

Then, the UT fans would start asking, "why should we have to play a team with 3-4 conference loses....we have nothing to win, everything to lose...".

You're right---and when a highly-ranked team loses in the conference championship game---the entire conference loses....LOT$ AND LOT$ OF MONEY.

Smoaky

Immortal,

Where in Stoops press conference did he say the #2 team in the conference standings would play #1?

Unless I'm wrong, I didn't read that anywhere---

And so with that being true---why would you bring that up?

Read it---disagree with the opinion, but stop making this a UT-OU thing---because you're showing your immaturity---

Smoaky

I agree that all conferences should have a champ. game or none should. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with a champ. game. If you get beat by an inferior (record wise) conference opponent, you don't deserve a Nat. title shot anyway. OU should have never played in that '03 game.......oh yeah I forgot, they didn't.

Tell me this Smoak's, why is Stoops against a playoff system if he's so interested in fairness?

Originally posted by Smoaky

Immortal,

Where in Stoops press conference did he say the #2 team in the conference standings would play #1?

Unless I'm wrong, I didn't read that anywhere---

And so with that being true---why would you bring that up?

Read it---disagree with the opinion, but stop making this a UT-OU thing---because you're showing your immaturity---

Smoaky

I never quoted Stoops on anything. I am simply stating the possibilty of two teams from the same division rematching in a conf. championship game under a reseeding scenario. How does that make me immature? Why don't you chill a little. There's no need to make disparaging remarks just because I have an opinion you don't like or agree with.

Immortal,

No, you never actually quoted Stoops, but here's your own post from earlier on this thread...

Originally posted by Immortal13

Because it might possibly give OU a second chance to beat UT in a conf. champ game......

Now, with that on-record, where in anything Stoops said refers to what you wrote?

I'm not grilling you for your opinion----I'm asking you to verify putting words in Stoops' mouth.

Smoaky