2007 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced (it gets worse every year)

cheaptrick77

Stooges, R.E.M. among nominees for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

(by Scott Mervis | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

The nine nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum next year include a British Invasion band, a classic girl group, a hip-hop pioneer, two punks and a pop-metal band with revolving singers.

The committee announced yesterday that the nominees for 2007 are Chic, The Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, R.E.M., The Ronettes, Patti Smith, The Stooges, Joe Tex and Van Halen.

Five will be inducted into the Rock Hall on March 12 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. They will be announced in January.

Two of the nominees -- Detroit proto-punks The Stooges and New York punk/poet Patti Smith -- were on the Post-Gazette's list last year of the Hall of Fame's most overlooked acts.

The hip-hop community will be watching closely to see if Grandmaster Flash will open the door for rap for the first time.

To be eligible, an act must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The magic year this time was 1981.

This is the first year of eligibility for college-rock icon R.E.M. and the third year for the beleaguered Van Halen.

The 500 voters may be tempted to push the Van Halen lever just to see what trouble David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar can stir up at the dinner ceremony.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why "hip-hop pioneers" are even considered for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Toby Keith, Luciano Pavarotti and Ethel Merman have no business being there and neither does Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

The Stooges and Van Halen are the only “slam-dunkers” on the list ... IMHO.

R.E.M. and Patti Smith are deserving, but not before more deserving acts -- many whose eligibility precedes them:

• Deep Purple
  • Rush
  • KISS
  • Todd Rundgren
  • New York Dolls
  • Cheap Trick
  • UFO
  • Thin Lizzy
  • Blue Öyster Cult

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME IS A JOKE :no:

WHAT? KISS, Todd Rundgren, & Cheap Trick are not in the Hall?

AND - you tell me Patti Smith (who had maybe one hit song her whole life), R.E.M. (who didn't hit it big until the late 80's)

AND some rap group made it???

Completely Sacrileglous!!! Just utterly sacrileglous!:smileybanger::smileybanger:

What kind of [censored]-laced drugs were these stoner voters smoking when they past this list?

Well, at least Van Halen (the original, and BEST Van Halen) made it in finally!

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

^ The above nine are NOMINEES -- no one has "made it" yet ;)

I think Patti Smith and R.E.M. are both worthy potential members ... Smith is one of the best female songwriters of all time & R.E.M. defined early/mid-80s College Radio.

Yeah kiss is awesome. I just love how they paint their faces and have absolutely no edge to their sound.

They are definitly a band we should complain about not being in the hall of fame.:blink:

I do agree with you guys about the Rap group. I do like hip hop alot, and I understand where they are coming from. But the music should still be seperated by genre's when it comes to Hal's of Fame.

Originally posted by Wildcat_20

Wow...they wont let KISS in, but they will let a rapper in

No kidding!

My 1st concert ever was KISS, in Fort Worth, Texas AUgust of 1976....WOW!!! I've been a secret operative in the KISS Army ever since!

Some rapper, yet no KISS....makes you wonder what those folks in Cleveland are smokin'...

Originally posted by Wildcat_20

Wow...they wont let KISS in, but they will let a rapper in

AGAIN -- the above nine are NOMINEES -- no one has "made it" yet :)

...but the KISS ARMY is mobilizing outside of Cleveland for an attack on March 12th :shifty:

Check out this interesting nugget from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame

Criticism

Some feel the induction process is controlled by a few individuals, including founder Jann Wenner, former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once said: "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. :ermm: That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the 50s and early 60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in 70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today — but Queen is." Some groups who were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.

There are also very few progressive rock, hard rock or heavy metal bands in the hall. To date, the only progressive rock band inducted was Pink Floyd in 1996; the only hard rock bands that have been inducted are Led Zeppelin in 1995, Aerosmith and Queen in 2001, AC/DC in 2003, and Black Sabbath in 2006.

After the 2007 nominations were announced, it was immediately noticed that there were only 9 nominees. Up until that year, the fewest nominees there had ever been in one year was 13. The Rock Hall also officially announced that 5 of those 9 would be inducted. This has led to the belief that the low number of nominees is due to the nominations committee trying to muscle the voters into inducting a few certain candidates.

It's time for a Coup D'Etat !!!

When the KISS ARMY storms, I'm taking over as new R&R HOF Director !! :shifty:

kissavatarqw4.gif