ESPNU Announcer Taken Off Air After Gay Comment

setxsports

I read that on the Websider.com forums. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

The comment wasn't very professional, but to pull him off the air was a little extreme. I think they should have brought him in the office and explained that he can't do that anymore.

Seems like the quick hook is inpart being used just in case a lawsuit is filed. Organizations can say that they are in charge, care, and took quick action in making sure it doesn't happen again under their watch.

Of course, that "course of action" also can hold down the TOTAL $$$$$ SETTLEMENT that they may be responsible to pay out .....

You'd almost think that the "bottom line $$$" has just as big or bigger impact on decisions than responsibility to social mores or politically correct views.

I'm just curious how anyone could possibly file a lawsuit in that matter and win.

Is there a law against offending someone? Did we adopt Turkish law all of the sudden?

While obviously not professional, I thought it was funny, and probably most gay people would not have been remotely offended. Obviously pretty much every straight male in America would have thought the words describing a muscular athlete "carressing" and "tenderly" catching the football are somewhat homosexual...but in a funny and not bad way.

I think ESPN and the other TV networks are so scared of making people upset that they are starting to overreact to stuff like this.

In this particular case ESPN made it even worse because I saw absolutely nothing on this issue until they disciplined the guy. I saw no complaints, no news stories, nothing...until ESPN made a big deal about it.