*** RON WASHINGTON TO BE NAMED RANGERS' MANAGER ***

Aggie2008

Rangers select Washington to manage

New skipper spent more than a decade with Athletics

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have picked Oakland Athletics third-base coach Ron Washington as their new manager.

Washington will be introduced as the 17th full-time manager in club history at a news conference Monday at Ameriquest Field in Arlington.

He replaces Buck Showalter, who was let go at the end of the season after the Rangers finished with a record of 80-82.

Washington was given the job after a Sunday afternoon interview with Rangers owner Tom Hicks and general manager Jon Daniels. He had previously interviewed with Daniels, assistant general manager Thad Levine and A.J. Preller.

"He was very impressive," Hicks said. "He's a real winner."

General manager Jon Daniels declined comment.

"I feel great," Washington said late Sunday night. "It's an opportunity I've been looking forward to. Mr. Hicks, Jon Daniels, Thad Levine, and A.J. Preller, those are the guys I met and they were very nice. They really made me feel welcome. I'm looking forward to working with them."

Washington, 54, has spent the last 11 seasons on the Oakland Athletics coaching staff and has two years of Minor League managerial experience in the New York Mets system.

"The Rangers have a very good nucleus," Washington said. "With the nucleus they have, they are very capable of taking it to the next level and with the guys in charge, I think I can help them take that to the next level. They are right on the edge."

Washington was selected over four other candidates, including Don Wakamatsu, who was the Rangers' bench coach over the past four years. The Rangers also interviewed Mets third-base coach Manny Acta, Phillies Triple-A manager John Russell and Trey Hillman, who managed the Nippon Ham Fighters to the Japan Series championship last month.

Washington spent parts of 10 seasons as a player in the Major Leagues with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros. He finished his career in the Rangers organization as an infielder at Triple-A Oklahoma in 1990.

He began his coaching career in 1991 with the Mets' Triple-A affiliate in Tidewater. He managed the Class A Columbia Bombers in 1993-94 with a record of 123-153 before returning to Tidewater as a coach in 1995. He was hired by the Oakland Athletics in 1996. He was their first-base coach for one year before moving over to third base.

He has also been working with the Athletics' infielders, and third baseman Eric Chavez credited Washington with turning him into a five-time Gold Glove winner.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I have to tell you....I'm very disappointed. At first glance, I thought the guy was about 70, but I guess it's good he's only 54. What does this guy bring to the table? Besides a 123-153 minor league managerial record. :hmmm: This is definitely the latest in a long line of head-scratchers for Ranger fans....

I think the best thing he has going for him is that he's replacing Buck Showalter. Hey, it worked for Joe Torre and Bob Brenly

Give the guy a chance. He obviously is not the most well known of the choices but shows you that we don't know all that is involved in this process and who they are looking at.

Washington had an interesting debut as a big league player. He entered a game in September of 1977 and faced Pedro Borbon. He was hit by a pitch and scored on a triple by Jeff Leonard. The Reds won this game 7-4 and the starter for the Reds that day was future Hall of Famer, Tom Seaver, who hit a home run in the game.

Good luck, Ron !!

78washingtonwt4.jpg

FIRST BASEBALL CARD:
1978 Cramer Albuquerque Dukes

Of course, Washington's "claim to fame" is being the man who pinch-ran for Cal Ripken, Jr. on September 14, 1987 -- ending Ripken's streak of 8,243 consecutive innings played ...

I don't mind the hire. The guy is supposed to be a great communicator and is a top notch teacher of defense.

Jon Daniels said he wanted to hire fresh blood and someone who was better at communicating with the players. Washington fulfills both of those better than the other 2 candidates. Wak and Hillman both have ties to the Rangers in the past and that probably actually worked against them.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hillman get the Padres job and Wak end up in Oakland.

If Wak doesn't end up with a manager position it'll be interesting to see what happens since he still has a year left on his contract. Will he be willing to work alongside a guy who won the job over him?

It also said that the Rangers are going to keep Rudy Jaramillo and I guess Mark Connor as the hitting and pitching coaches and that Washington will be able to hire who he wants in the other positions.

Guest CNOrtega

My official opinion is... "Ok... I guess."

There really wasn't any big fish in the managerial pond this year. Say what you want about Sweet Lou or Girardi, but when's the last time either of them won anything?

Originally posted by CNOrtega

My official opinion is... "Ok... I guess."

There really wasn't any big fish in the managerial pond this year. Say what you want about Sweet Lou or Girardi, but when's the last time either of them won anything?

About the same time me and you last did. ;)

Hey, I wish him the best. I'm a Ranger fan and always will be - which is what gives me the right to voice my opinion! lol....Hopefully he will surprise us all, but if he was such a great potential head coach, why didn't the A's hire him after 11 years?

i just hope he shows a little emotion...every time they showed buck, he was just sitting there with his arms crossed stone-faced!! he even has his arms crossed when he is arguing with an ump. throw a water cooler on the field or something!!!!!!!!!!!

The pluses of Ron Washington:

1) From a winning program that gets the most out of their players.

2) Good in several aspects; taught infield defense and some hitting with the A's...is a big proponent of the running game stemming from his playing days (and problably a major reason of why he wasn't promoted.)

3) Is raved about by players, from Torii Hunter to Jason Giambi. That may help Texas not only keep their own players, but lure in free agents.

4) You can pass on his minor league record; I'm sure he's learned quite a bit with the A's club since 1993.

Anyone who makes a big deal out of minor league records, whether they are good or not, is just crazy.

In those levels, a managers job is more about teaching than wins or losses. Obviously you want to win, but the major league clubs would rather see the players improve and move up than not get any better and win.

I can't really make an opinion of Washington because I know nothing about him. I hoped to hear that Hillman would be named the manager. I KNEW the bench coach would not get hired. I did not see this coming. I saw Hillman coming. It's a shocker for me. All we can do is trust Daniels that he knows something we don't.

Well, I have to say, I'm impressed at what I'm hearing so far...it looks like Daniels and Hicks made a smart move. Teixeira and Millwood are happy and Zito is interested - those are good signs!