Hallsville @ Pine Tree

Bobcat1976

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by geauxtiger3

I completely agree with you sportz. if Hallsville was a part of Longview then they would be called Longview Hallsville Bobcats.. kinda like Longview Pine Tree Pirates.

Out of about 3000 Hallsville students, around 2000 have a Longview address...

Those kids do not wish they were part of Longview, they are part of Longview.

The "old Hallsville" is a small town (present population 2500, counting Moms, Dads, Grandmas, Grandpas and dogs and cats)

As for the comment "Longview Hallsville Bobcats", there are practical reasons as well, why this is not so. Hallsville is in Harrison County and is a seperate town and the city limits of Hallsville and Longview do not join. Pine Tree and Spring Hill are not even seperate towns. They are communities within the city of Longview.

As for this rivalry meaning more to Hallsville... whatever... As for there being more Hallsville posters on here, well thats easy, if our team was 0-6 in district we would not be on here posting as much either.

Also, PT holds its own in lots of sports, but does not dominate Hallsivlle in all but Football. Plus, in East Texas the headline sport is Football, and we all know how long PT has been struggling on the gridiron.

As for Friday nights ballgame.. Hallsville will likely win,

...but PT will be up for it, just like I have been saying. I did not invent the intensity of this rivalry, I just have been around long enough to know it is reality, and no rivalry is one sided or it would not be a rivaly.

Series History

PT - Hallsville

'37 32-0 (1st year of Hallsville football)

'48 0-0 (tie)

'49 26-0

'50 54-0

'74 20-14

'75 28-13

'76 43-0

'77 27-0

'90 6-14

'91 0-37

'92 10-12

'93 45-12

'94 17-12

'95 21-35

'96 7-28

'97 29-11

'98 17-20 (OT)

'99 7-48

'00 7-8

'01 20-7

'02 3-21

'03 10-34

'04 21-35

'05 22-56

Overall Hallsville 11 Pine Tree 11 and 1 tie.

Hallsville did not win a game against PT till 1990

PT won the three games played when I was in High School (74, 75, 76)

Hallsville has won 8 of the last 10

Originally posted by Bobcat1976
Originally posted by geauxtiger3

I completely agree with you sportz. if Hallsville was a part of Longview then they would be called Longview Hallsville Bobcats.. kinda like Longview Pine Tree Pirates.

Out of about 3000 Hallsville students, around 2000 have a Longview address...

Those kids do not wish they were part of Longview, they are part of Longview.

The "old Hallsville" is a small town (present population 2500, counting Moms, Dads, Grandmas, Grandpas and dogs and cats)

As for the comment "Longview Hallsville Bobcats", there are practical reasons as well, why this is not so. Hallsville is in Harrison County and is a seperate town and the city limits of Hallsville and Longview do not join. Pine Tree and Spring Hill are not even seperate towns. They are communities within the city of Longview.

As for this rivalry meaning more to Hallsville... whatever... As for there being more Hallsville posters on here, well thats easy, if our team was 0-6 in district we would not be on here posting as much either.

Also, PT holds its own in lots of sports, but does not dominate Hallsivlle in all but Football. Plus, in East Texas the headline sport is Football, and we all know how long PT has been struggling on the gridiron.

As for Friday nights ballgame.. Hallsville will likely win,

...but PT will be up for it, just like I have been saying. I did not invent the intensity of this rivalry, I just have been around long enough to know it is reality, and no rivalry is one sided or it would not be a rivaly.

I have always been curious what the ISD boundaries were surrounding the Longview suburban schools. Much like Whitehouse, where a significant portion extends into Tyler. Are there any online maps that show that?

In Hallsville's case there is Marshall to the east. Longview to the west. Harleton and possibly a little bit of New Diana to the north. and Tatum to the south. It might even touch on Carthage for a small area. The Sabine River is the south boundary. Western Harrison county line is the west boundary. Little Cypress is the north boundary. and I think it is an imaginary line between Marshall and Hallsville (I could be wrong on that boundary).

Longview extends several miles into Harrison county and those kids go to Hallsville.

Originally posted by Catmaniac

Tell me what has PineTree done lately in anything but maybe soccer? There baseball team was in shambles last season, their girls volleyball team was not up to standard, and their football record speaks for itself.

I do agree with you though that Hallsville should extend their series edge. And I stress should - but anything can happen in this game I have gotten to the point that the rivalry is not meaningful as it once was. You have to have two teams relatively equal to have a true rivalry and that just hasn't been the case over the last few seasons.

Pine Tree has done a lot more than just soccer lately. Their volleyball team may not have been up to the standard that they have had in the past but they did make it to the playoffs and also won one and lost one against Hallsville. The baseball team didn't play well last season, but that's just one season and they now have a new coach that will have ready for this next season. Also, both the boys and the girls basketball programs have consistantly making it to the playoffs for the past few years. And to say that these two schools aren't rivals shows that you really don't know what you are talking about. The rivalry is more than just about the two football teams. It is between the two schools and every interaction that happens between them.

This thread is interesting.

1. Pine Tree last won a share of the district title in football in 2002 - got the 2nd seed because of a loss to Kilgore in head to head competion. I don't know when Hallsville last won or tied for a district title.

2. A good part of the Pine Tree school district is in WHITE OAK - yes, White Oak. There are a good number of Pine Tree kids who have a White Oak mailing address. That is a little known fact.

3. I don't know much about this "rivalry", but when I was playing at Pine Tree our rival was Longview. I don't see how the current group of PT - Hallsville kids could surpass our rivalry with Longview back in the 80's.

4. Longview is a very unique city - parts of 4 independent school districts within its boundaries. Kind of unusual.

I was speaking personally about the rivalry and only in football. Sure it's a rivalry. Has been since the mid-70's but the football team has slid to the point that it's not fun from my point of view.

I will go far enough to say Hallsville should win but anything could happen.

And I agree with you sshore, there is no way that today's rivalry can compare with the past rivalries of the '70's Bobcat-Pirates or the '80's Lobo-Pirates.

PT girls sports has been their shining star the past few years. Even I was disappointed in their baseball team last season. On paper they should have won the district. They are always competitive in basketball and the muddogs are perennial favorites. But at football which this is about they are sorely lacking and have been for several years.

I would not look for a whole lot of victories over Hallsville in anything other than basketball and soccer. Your baseball team should be good but Hallsville has almost everything returning. Is soccer really a sport worthy of mentioning?!

Originally posted by Lion70

hallsville last one the district title in a try championship against jax, and kilgore in 1999 I think. I think this was the year they went 4 rounds deep. I am sure bobcat1976 can enlighten us

Thats my que....

The Bobcats last outright district championship was in 1973.

Our only loss that year was to Linden-Kildare 26-12. Head coach was the great Fielding Huddleston (made his name at Paul Pewitt) The Bobcats played Paul-Pewitt that year in the 2nd game of the season and won 13-0 (I was there as a 15 year old Soph bench-warmer) In Bi-District we tied state ranked Rockwall 21-21 (Rockwall advanced on red zone penetrations 4-3).

Hallsville only has 9 outright district championships. The deepest playoff run was in 1963 (Regional Champs)

Unfortunatley that happened to Whitehouse last year, they had a move in at the beginning of the year that provided false papers to the administration or something along those lines then got caught and the whole team had to suffer. Only thing it didn't cost them a playoff spot like it did Jacksonville

Our '99 season was alot like Whitehouse's season this year. I can understand their euphoria and have heard them telling everyone that Whitehouse was for real even when others didn't believe. That's why I can get behind Whitehouse. There are some parallels to Hallsville '99.