Marshall's first girls soccer season; got a question

Mavchamp

It's only taken about 10 years of begging, but Marshall is finally giving the ladies their own team this season.

I've heard they have had an amazing turn out.....I hope that's true.

With this being the first year....will they play a regular varisty schedule? Or will they be on a probationary type thing and play a JV schedule like they do for new football teams for new schools?

Any idea on this?

this has been an ongoing battle.

Marshall was one of the first schools in East Texas to get a soccer program. They started with Longview, PT and all the others when they all started their programs.

The girls (the few that there were) played on the JV with the guys.

When I was in HS.... there was a girls team, but I think it was more of a club thing. No one else in East Texas really had girls soccer. Then that disappered. They went back to playing on JV.

The parents have been battling this for years. The school district kept saying there wasn't enough interest to start a program from the ground up: Frosh, JV and Varsity.

So they started growing city leagues for girls and it just exploded. Some of these girls have been playing a loooong time. But It's probably more like "sandlot" soccer than what's played in HS.

But their time has finally come. Congrats to them for fighting for it, for the parents getting it done.... and also to MISD for FINALLY doing what they should have done 10 years ago!

GO LADY MAVS!

Originally posted by Mavchamp

this has been an ongoing battle.

Marshall was one of the first schools in East Texas to get a soccer program. They started with Longview, PT and all the others when they all started their programs.

The girls (the few that there were) played on the JV with the guys.

When I was in HS.... there was a girls team, but I think it was more of a club thing. No one else in East Texas really had girls soccer. Then that disappered. They went back to playing on JV.

The parents have been battling this for years. The school district kept saying there wasn't enough interest to start a program from the ground up: Frosh, JV and Varsity.

So they started growing city leagues for girls and it just exploded. Some of these girls have been playing a loooong time. But It's probably more like "sandlot" soccer than what's played in HS.

But their time has finally come. Congrats to them for fighting for it, for the parents getting it done.... and also to MISD for FINALLY doing what they should have done 10 years ago!

GO LADY MAVS!

I think people forget the Marshall's Boys program was VERY good when it started..I remember the coach who had a brother(I think a twin) who was the coach at Pine Tree.

Yes, Coach Manning. Who is now at PT coaching the JV. I believe he took the job because he saw how the lil oriental guy was doing. I mean, look at his record so far. The first year, did not make the play-offs! ((First time in like 21 years)). The 2nd they lose in the first round to Mt. Pleasant. Not very good my friend! I bet if it happens again this year, early dismissal for the muddogs, Lo will be gone and Manning will be brought up! Hopefully, that will happen. Well not getting knocked out early, but Manning getting moved up!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jacket10

Yes, Coach Manning. Who is now at PT coaching the JV. I believe he took the job because he saw how the lil oriental guy was doing. I mean, look at his record so far. The first year, did not make the play-offs! ((First time in like 21 years)). The 2nd they lose in the first round to Mt. Pleasant. Not very good my friend! I bet if it happens again this year, early dismissal for the muddogs, Lo will be gone and Manning will be brought up! Hopefully, that will happen. Well not getting knocked out early, but Manning getting moved up!

most of the guys over there dont even like Lo!! if Lo would let them play soccer the way they know how to play instead of throwin in his confusing stuff then they would be better of!! its just frustrating goin through his practices and that makes everyone not want to play!!

Originally posted by lawdog18

Pine Tree has the talent no matter who the coach is. That should not happen this year in my opinion. Besides, Mt. Pleasant went to state remember!!! They were no slack.

DEISEL, All I am saying is that Pine Tree is loaded with talent and can be good whoever is coaching them. Dont read into everything I say, obviously your a hater.