longview news paper

warhawk1432

I think it really shouldnt matter how much coverage your team gets..if your teams good everyone already knows it ...and i guess it is sad that there isnt a paper for every high school and a journalist to glorify the team multiple times a week in THE ZONE or saturdays paper.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

our sports writer does a great job when his story gets posted! i am a little conserned about their stats department. it is really hard to understand how you posts stats from week to week under the title of top players in EAST TEXAS and names seem to disappear from the rankings for a week then reappear a week later. I know they have computers there and it shouldnt be that hard to get it right. Anyway i know that it the Longview newspaper but they sell that paper in other places other than just longview!!

Even if they had more staff, there wouldn't be room in the paper for everything. On Friday nights, they have a 11:30 deadline. They have to proof read, set everything up, get it to the press, print it, send it to the mail room where everything is inserted by machines (that don't work alot of times, but that's another story), put it in bundles, send to dock where circulation is waiting for hours (LOL) to pick up and throw in every subscribers favorite spot by 7am (try throwing that paper at 7:01 and see how upset those subscribers get). I probably missed a few areas that the paper actually goes to, but you get my drift. If you have articles on every school in East Texas coming through at 11:30, it's just not possible to take care of it all. And what about those games that don't end until 11:15? It's hard to write something that is going to be exciting and convue what happened on 20 different fields on Friday night. Not to mention what alot of the coverage guys go through to get the story. Alot of places won't give them anyplace to set up, and some even make it very difficult to get the job done. There are those, however, that go out of their way to help these guys get their story. As long as some of these guys (Joe, George, Gabe, Rick, J.C.) have been covering their particular schools, they are probably given everything they want and need. Personally, I want to give a great big thanks to Gladewater this year for making it very easy to get the story. The Coaches and pressbox people have gone out of their way to furnish everything needed to a first year correspondent that doesn't always know what they are doing.

There are alot of things wrong in this thread already.

Rick doesnt cover Gilmer, he is all Longview.

The 11:30 deadline is more like 10:30-10:45, with last ditch dictations coming in at 11:30.

As far as all of the writers having journalism degrees....the only newspaper within three hours of you where everyone has journalism degrees is the DMN. AND even not all of them do..so thats kind of a moot point.

Originally posted by Eagle

The 11:30 deadline is more like 10:30-10:45, with last ditch dictations coming in at 11:30.

As far as all of the writers having journalism degrees....the only newspaper within three hours of you where everyone has journalism degrees is the DMN. AND even not all of them do..so thats kind of a moot point.

You are right. Rick does cover Longview. I had written Rick's name, but in error put Gilmer instead of Longview. Thirty lashes for me.

I know the deadline on weekdays is 10:45, but I also know I was told the deadline on Friday nights is 11:45. I guess they told me wrong. Man, I have been lucky to get anything in if I had the wrong time. I'm glad you filled me in. I will have to start getting things in quicker.

As far as someone having a degree. Who really cares? If they do a good job, which I believe they all do, and people can read about their teams, what difference does it make. Degree's don't make you a success at what you do.

I wish all the papers were like the Dallas Morning News…….guess what there not ……..if the sports section is so bad why do you continue to buy the paper???? The Dallas news will send you one in the mail for a small fee or throw you one…….Then you can read about all 250 High Schools in the Dallas Area……Just a thought

Originally posted by agentman

I wish all the papers were like the Dallas Morning News…….guess what there not ……..if the sports section is so bad why do you continue to buy the paper???? The Dallas news will send you one in the mail for a small fee or throw you one…….Then you can read about all 250 High Schools in the Dallas Area……Just a thought

Don't think I could even think of moving to Dallas just to get the Fri nite scores:ugh:

Originally posted by agentman

Just wondering how many sports writers does the DMN have to cover these 250 schools:unsure:

Originally posted by golffingnut
Originally posted by Eagle

Look far back to Dizzy Dean (whether he had a degree or not) he couldn't even speak the King's English very well but he made a great commentator at the ball games

You are right. Rick does cover Longview. I had written Rick's name, but in error put Gilmer instead of Longview. Thirty lashes for me.

I know the deadline on weekdays is 10:45, but I also know I was told the deadline on Friday nights is 11:45. I guess they told me wrong. Man, I have been lucky to get anything in if I had the wrong time. I'm glad you filled me in. I will have to start getting things in quicker.

As far as someone having a degree. Who really cares? If they do a good job, which I believe they all do, and people can read about their teams, what difference does it make. Degree's don't make you a success at what you do.

I had a friend who used to work for the Tyler paper. Sometimes I would go with him to the football games and watch the things he had to go through to get his story in on time. I don't envy the sportswriters out there. I think you guys are doing a great job. Maybe if the reporters missed a friday night and didn't send a story in the people would appreciate them a little more.

Originally posted by Eizek

Oh, and by the way, after waiting in the pressbox for more than an hour, I was asked just prior to kickoff to leave by the superintendent, who wanted to reserve seats for school board members. Therefore, I walked through the mud and was not able to compile stats at halftime to save myself some time. Coincidentally, I looked in the pressbox from the sideline and there was ample seating for at least six more people throughout the game.

How typical!! There is a reason it's called a pressbox. With the exception of radio (of course) that area is supposed to be for the press, hence the name of the area. I can't tell you how many places I've been turned out of because they "didn't have room" for visiting press. Thank goodness the schools I'm covering normally go out of their way to make me comfortable at their home games. Away games are a disaster... One time, at a baseball game I arrived to an hour early, there were four spots ... one for the scoreboard operator, one for the PA guy, one for the radio guy and one left. I asked if I could use it and they said no, it was taken. Come to find out it was taken by the teenage daughter of the PA guy. She did nothing but sit there the whole time, meanwhile me and my baseball stat book had to cover a game in the cold and misting rain on the freezing metal bleachers.

I feel for ya but just wanted you to know you know you're not alone. I'm the sports editor at my paper and even I get booted out of places to make room for people who don't need the writing space... just a climate controlled place to watch the game. Because of my personal experiences, I've told every one of my correspondents to let me know if they are denied access to pressboxes. If they are and I find out about it, a letter is sent out to the AD and super of that school letting them know how our representative was treated. I'm sure most don't care, but it's a matter of principle.

Keep on keeping on Eizek. I don't think I know you personally but it's the area's dedicated correspondents that make coverage of anyone other than the paper's hometown team possible. You guys (at LNJ, MNM, Tyler and even DMN) work with sometimes little to no training, most of the time for just pennies, to make sure your home team and hardworking kids get the exposure they deserve. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by SPORTZ

Every year, without exception, this subject comes up again.

The LNJ will never have to do any better than they chose to, because they do not have any competition. They aren't as good as the Tyler paper, but they don't care because I think there is an agreement between the two papers to not circulate their papers in each other’s city. Once again, no competition. As for real sports journalism, I am not sure that all of the folks covering sports even have journalism degrees. That might not matter to the readers, but it probably helps the LNJ save a little money on salaries. As for, whom they cover the most, it's always going to be the Lobos, Pirates and the Panthers. For obvious reasons, which every fringe community struggles with, that's just the way it is. The LNJ may not be the best, but they are all this area has.

SPORTZ...

I think you need to get out a little more often.

The competition between the two papers (LNJ &TMT) is alive

and well. BOTH Longview and Tyler have newspaper racks in

each city....in multiple locations.

The "agreement" you mention is/was decades old

(during the days of local ownership) and at least

one decade removed from such nonsense. If you

don't believe me just look no further than the

Downtown Post Office in Longview....one block

from the LNJ offices....there you'll find a TMT rack.

FWIW.....the folks at the LNJ have had an influx of new

sports writers just the past few years and it's a noticeable

upgrade since the late 90's.

However, the best years of sports in Longview was during

the years of local ownership (Estes Family) which ended in

the early '80's...imo.

RJ

RANDYJOHNSON,

I will ignore you opening, condescending remark and move on to say that if my facts are incorrect about the agreement between the LNJ and Tyler paper, fine. I stand corrected. Since my 30-yr. subscription to the LNJ shows up at my house, I have no need to go to the rack. As for the quality of the LNJ, I believe that opinion will remain up to the subscribers. I still think the Tyler paper does a better job and their on-line site is better as well, to me anyway. Another reason I don’t have to go to the rack. Just my opinion, even if you don't agree. However, it does seem that a nerve was struck. Interesting?

;)

Sportz....

I was not meaning to come off the way you interpreted

it.

However, the "agreement" that you referred to is

"old news"....really old news.

If there was a nerve struck with me ...it's because I

spent my entire childhood during the 70's at the LNJ

or the Longview Daily News, as it was known back then.

My father worked there and my family delivered the

paper. When it was sold from local ownership so

went the quality of said paper....imo.

The animosity between Longview & Tyler especially

as it pertained to said newspapers was a known fact

BUT as with all things in life....change occurred.

Please don't take what I wrote as a personal dig...it's

just that those things changed and there is competition

between the two. Make no mistake.

AND

I totally agree with you that the Tyler Paper is much

better than the one here in Longview....no question.

RJ

Originally posted by Old Eagle

If you are from Tatum don't expect much coverage from the Longview Paper.

This is a pattern that goes back several years when Van Thomas was the sports editor.

It is all White Oak and Spring Hill.

The LV paper is simply cut-and-paste anti-American drivel from back east. I feel for the folks of Gregg County.

You guys should start a LOCAL paper which represents the sentiments of folks who actually love America.