why has boxing gone to mush?

shpanther209

Guest bleeds
That and that the fact that any division over Welterweight is just flat out boring!! People don't wanna watch two fat outta shape men box!! They wanna see two guys who wanna get in a ring and beat the mess out of one another. But all I see today is one fat piece of lard leaning on or clenching one another. It just doesn't seem like anybody wants to fight anymore. But when you watch a smaller weight division fight its exciting because they step in that ring to go to war. Solution more in shape heavy division fighters, One Belt for each division, and NO PPV!!! And to say UFC is better that boxing is just ridiculous. UFC is just barbaric and idiotic!

Given the choice, I'll watch UFC everytime. More athleticism. More skill. More diversity.

That and that the fact that any division over Welterweight is just flat out boring!! People don't wanna watch two fat outta shape men box!! They wanna see two guys who wanna get in a ring and beat the mess out of one another. But all I see today is one fat piece of lard leaning on or clenching one another. It just doesn't seem like anybody wants to fight anymore. But when you watch a smaller weight division fight its exciting because they step in that ring to go to war. Solution more in shape heavy division fighters, One Belt for each division, and NO PPV!!! And to say UFC is better that boxing is just ridiculous. UFC is just barbaric and idiotic!

I hate to say this but I agree with you on UFC. I really tried to like it a couple of years ago, but it was so brutal I just gave up. All the knee and elbow hits are just too much, imo. To me, boxing has killed itsself and MMA has come in and taken over, kinda like a buzzard coming in and cleaning up the mess.

I think you're right. That's what's killing boxing, no one can actually watch a "good fight" without PPV. That has been what has driven your average boxing fan from watching. It's all PPV or HBO.

UFC is simply, bite, kick, and claw, which is what life is about. But, I don't want to go back to Thunderdome, been there done that.

Can't say I disagree with the effect PPV has had on fan interest in boxing. There are currently three guys, though, that I would gladly pay to view anytime they're fighting: Manny Pacquiao, Joe Calzaghe, and Kelly Pavlik. Every fight I've seen these three involved in has been action-packed. All three are active, big-time punchers. Pavlick is defending his Middleweight title in the next few weeks on HBO.

• 2 months later...
Can't say I disagree with the effect PPV has had on fan interest in boxing. There are currently three guys, though, that I would gladly pay to view anytime they're fighting: Manny Pacquiao, Joe Calzaghe, and Kelly Pavlik. Every fight I've seen these three involved in has been action-packed. All three are active, big-time punchers. Pavlick is defending his Middleweight title in the next few weeks on HBO.

Kind of weird replying to my own post, but I have to add one more name to the list of current "PPV-worthy" prize fighters. Miguel Cotto is fighting Antonio Margarito on Saturday night. Cotto is another fighter who steps into the ring to fight. There will be alot of big punches in this fight...no doubt about it. Mayweather did himself a huge favor by retiring when he did. It's widely thought that he ducked Margarito because of Margarito's style and I don't think he wants any part of Cotto's power.

It's really too bad, no one deserves to be punished more than Mayweather.

Crooked promoters. Trashy boxers. No strong Americans. Don't want to pay for pay-per-view. Don King. There are better sports. Too many names I can't pronounce. No Howard Cosell. It is no longer main stream.

Guest imyahuckleberry

Gone are the days of Marvelous Marvin, Hitman, Sugar Ray, and Duran in the welterweight division. That was as good as it gets.

Ali, Smokin Joe, Norton,GF, Iron Mike, before he lost his mind, in the heavyweight division were great also.

I'll take a good UFC fight anyday over anything boxing has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
Gone are the days of Marvelous Marvin, Hitman, Sugar Ray, and Duran in the welterweight division. That was as good as it gets.

Ali, Smokin Joe, Norton,GF, Iron Mike, before he lost his mind, in the heavyweight division were great also.

I'll take a good UFC fight anyday over anything boxing has to offer.

IMO the main reason Mike Tyson was so dominate was how weak the heavyweight field was in his tenure and it has not recovered since