lobo4life emailed me and told me he's now a Texas A&M fan...

Smoaky

Originally posted by TxEaglecaller

So am I a bandwagon fan? Been a Longhorn fan since as long as I can remember...I bleed Burnt Orange, follow ALL of the Horns sports, yet went to a different college. I was watching when Akers was going downhill, to the McWilliams era all the way to now. Just because you follow one school and go to another does not make you a bandwagon fan

I didn't say it makes you a bandwagon fan, nor did I say anything about your college homer status.

I just find it silly when families are so pro towards one school in the same light of their religion and political opinions. It's just a college. For me it's easier to understand a massive love for a school if you're an alum; you have a connection and experienced the school. But even then it can be absurd for alums sometimes too. That doesn't make you a bandwagon fan, nor do I think people shouldn't be a big fan if they didn't go to the school.

Honestly, when someone is that big of a homer for a school they don't go to, it makes me think they have nothing better to do and need to get a life. That includes alums. (I say this for the arrogance and rudeness exhibited by lobo over the past year plus, not for people who are just big fans of a school and consider them a Longhorn or Aggie etc). Just my perception, definitely doesn't make it right, nor do I want to convert people to my thought process.

I am a UT-Austin alum. I was there during the end of the Akers era and during the McWilliams experiment. Those years were less than stellar for the football team. The basketball team was horrible under Whetlecht. The baseball team was decent. The only achievers of note were the swim teams and the womens basketball team. Volleyball was OK. Despite the mediocre athletic success during that time I proudly wore my burnt orange as I continue to do today religiously. I remember, prior to Mack Brown being at Texas, that the predominant colors in east Texas was maroon. Everyone likes winners, therefore I believe that there are a lot of "bandwagon" people out there which really bothers me. I wish that I had a burnt orange shirt that reads "always".

Last Friday I went to the LE/Chapel Hill game in Hallsville. I had a burnt orange hoodie on. As I was walking up the bleachers on the LE side a gentleman made a snide remark about me wearing orange so recently after UT lost to the ags. Obviously this man does not know what a true fan is nor many like him.

Originally posted by Hookemhorns88

I am a UT-Austin alum. I was there during the end of the Akers era and during the McWilliams experiment. Those years were less than stellar for the football team. The basketball team was horrible under Whetlecht. The baseball team was decent. The only achievers of note were the swim teams and the womens basketball team. Volleyball was OK. Despite the mediocre athletic success during that time I proudly wore my burnt orange as I continue to do today religiously. I remember, prior to Mack Brown being at Texas, that the predominant colors in east Texas was maroon. Everyone likes winners, therefore I believe that there are a lot of "bandwagon" people out there which really bothers me. I wish that I had a burnt orange shirt that reads "always".

Last Friday I went to the LE/Chapel Hill game in Hallsville. I had a burnt orange hoodie on. As I was walking up the bleachers on the LE side a gentleman made a snide remark about me wearing orange so recently after UT lost to the ags. Obviously this man does not know what a true fan is nor many like him.

I was broadcasting a game Fri during the game and after....Someone asked me if I was going to throw away my burnt orange pullover now that they lost...I said nope, I wear burnt orange MORE when they lose to show support.

Cause as BAD as this loss might have been it STILL does not hurt near as much as the Cotton Bowl loss to Georgia...Dear God why did they not put Jitter in I will never know LOL

I graduated from ATM in 1990. I have been there through the good and the bad. I have a lot of friends who attended tu or UT. With them and with most of The Texas grads I have come across it has always been a friendly rivalry. I want ATM to win, but of I also have a respect for UT, and 99 percent of the UT grads I have come across treat the rivalry the same way. I also know you can be a good fan without attending either university. But it seems to me the most obnoxius fans on both sides are the ones who did not attend either one of the universities. As a former student of Texas A and M University, it upsets me when someone comes on this board as an ATM supporter and runs their mouth, to the extent it is done by some. Part of being a supporter of your university is having pride, showing class, and showing respect for other universities. I love the aggies deep down to my core, and because of that, I would never to anything that would shed a negative light on my university.

I'm not too sure that Lobo4Life was completely sincere about his admission .... perhaps reactionary to the shock of UT losing to the Ags. :smile2:

If I remember conversions with his family members several years ago at Kilgore Ranger basketball games, he did like A&M growing up (early years).

He went to Kilgore JC out of high school and tried to get into UT. But it's my understanding that UT, like A&M now, has restrictions on how many students they let in each year. They have quite a few "allowed" admissions involving social structure, which leaves a lot of students fighting for fewer slots for admission. Unfortunately, he fell into the "fewer slots" area, and went to another school near Austin. (Don't remember the name). But you can be a UT fan, or A&M, for that matter, without having gone to those schools.

As for the apparent "huge knowledge displayed" on UT athletics, Lobo4Life did work for the Longview paper (I believe his dad worked there for awhile), and he worked for the Kilgore JC paper while there. So he has extensive knowledge on accessing various links/areas to obtain knowledge on numberous questions posed on Smoaky.com. Or to make opinions on topics posted on Smoaky.com.

The way he delivers his opinions on Smoaky.com leaves "a lot to be desired" (IMHO), which has resulted in his current situated with UT's consecutive losses to KState and A&M.

Anyway, I'll believe L4L has become an Aggie fan when I see a picture in the Dallas Morning News the day after the Ags' game in the Holiday Bowl .... what's in it???????????

Lobo4Life in the middle of a bunch of Ag fans, wearing an A&M shirt and linked legs/arms ... weaving back and forth as he sings the Ags' fight song !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: