Best War Movie

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Okay. What's the best war movie you've ever seen? I'm not doing a poll on this 'cause I didn't want to have to list ALL those good ones. Just post your favorite.

I'll start it off. By far, without a doubt, best war movie...

Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket". Possibly his best effort.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first half of Full Metal Jacket was AWESOME. The second half was pretty bleh. Apocalypse now kind of fell into that too, but it's still a good one. There's several I really enjoy, ranging from the more movie-ish and lighthearted (Such as John Wayne's war movies) to the gritty and emotional (A Bridge Too Far, and modern movies like Jarhead).

I think the only war movie I never really liked was The Patriot, but other than that I've liked the others I have seen.

1. Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

2. Apocalypse Now

3. M*A*S*H

4. The Deer Hunter

5. Gettysburg

6. Das Boot

7. The Best Years Of Our Lives

8. Paths Of Glory

9. From Here To Eternity

10. The Train

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Middle

The first half of Full Metal Jacket was AWESOME. The second half was pretty bleh. Apocalypse now kind of fell into that too, but it's still a good one. There's several I really enjoy, ranging from the more movie-ish and lighthearted (Such as John Wayne's war movies) to the gritty and emotional (A Bridge Too Far, and modern movies like Jarhead).

I think the only war movie I never really liked was The Patriot, but other than that I've liked the others I have seen.

Your are not the first to recognize that. Full Metal Jacket was originally a book telling three different stories by Gustav Hasford (a combat journalist the character "Joker" was based on). The movie tells the first two stories and makes a distinct change after boot camp. The last one tells about Joker after he is released from a Viet Namese prison camp.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Middle

Wow, I didn't know that bleeds. Have you read these books? Worth the read?

Actually, I have not, but I am a Kubrick fan. Done a little research on him, the movie and the background.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by cheaptrick77

Man -- I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one !!

Fair enough, although the poll shows FMJ as the favorite going away. My close second Kubrick film is "Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb".

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Oops! Almost forgot, the book was started while Hasford was serving in Viet Nam. The title of the book was "The Short Timers".

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Don't forget "Kelly's Hero's", "The Devil's Brigade", "We

Were Soldiers", and for a little misdirection play "Braveheart".

I vote "We Were Soldiers", based on the book "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young". Another good movie based on a book was "A Bright Shining Lie". The book won a Pulitzer Prize. The movie, I believe, was made for HBO and starred Bill Paxton. This book is worth the read if you are really truly interested in understanding the Viet Nam war. The movie was good but obviously not as in-depth as the book.

In the older genre, I have to go with "The Longest Day" or "In Harm's Way". Both had John Wayne in them but were really all-star casts. Both were actully based on books as well.

I wonder if all the good ones were based on books or if there is ever any original thought and creativity in making these pictures?