Best War Movie

Guest bleedsbluengold24

so i'm the first to say 300?

this may be my biggest downfall in the entertainment world....i'm not very big into war movies...i couldn't finish schindlers list.

300 very entertaing movie not very accrute with the battle scene but kudos for being the first to bring it up.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300 very entertaing movie not very accrute with the battle scene but kudos for being the first to bring it up.

see...thats what i mean...i wouldn't know that its not accurate. i just know it was a good movie. oh well...this will prolly be my last post on this particular thread

Let me give one that I don't believe has been mention, and it's one of my favorite's,

'The Wind and the Lion' with Sean Connery and Candice Bergen.

A great movie with alot of classic scenes. Has Brian Keith with a great portrayl of President Teddy Roosevelt. But it has two incredible scenes that show a group of young marines, double time thru the narrow streets of Morocco to the Palace of the Prince, defended by Palace guards, stopping in front, without warning, "aim, fire... charge". Then near the end, with Candice Bergen and the US Marines surrounded by the Germans, Bergen pulls a rifle on the Captain of the Marines, telling them that "President Roosevelt made a promise to the Raisuli(Connery) and President Roosevelt keeps his promises, I'm going to free the Raisuli." To which the Captain of the Marines, joins in...they walk out of the building to confront the Germans. What I love about those scenes is that it captures the courage and sometimes reckless bravado of our Marines. It also has one of the great lines in a movie, at the end when the Sherif is bemoaning the realization that they're losing everything, everything's changing, to which (Connery) replies, ..." Sherif, is there not one thing in your life that is worth losing everything for?"....Mulay Hamid El Raisuli.

This gem of a movie will be shown this Friday night, the 29th, @ 8:00 p.m. on the TCM Channel.

Let me give one that I don't believe has been mention, and it's one of my favorite's,

'The Wind and the Lion' with Sean Connery and Candice Bergen.

A great movie with alot of classic scenes. Has Brian Keith with a great portrayl of President Teddy Roosevelt. But it has two incredible scenes that show a group of young marines, double time thru the narrow streets of Morocco to the Palace of the Prince, defended by Palace guards, stopping in front, without warning, "aim, fire... charge". Then near the end, with Candice Bergen and the US Marines surrounded by the Germans, Bergen pulls a rifle on the Captain of the Marines, telling them that "President Roosevelt made a promise to the Raisuli(Connery) and President Roosevelt keeps his promises, I'm going to free the Raisuli." To which the Captain of the Marines, joins in...they walk out of the building to confront the Germans. What I love about those scenes is that it captures the courage and sometimes reckless bravado of our Marines. It also has one of the great lines in a movie, at the end when the Sherif is bemoaning the realization that they're losing everything, everything's changing, to which (Connery) replies, ..." Sherif, is there not one thing in your life that is worth losing everything for?"....Mulay Hamid El Raisuli.

This gem of a movie will be shown this Friday night, the 29th, @ 8:00 p.m. on the TCM Channel.

Wind and the Lion -That is a great movie.

My favorites:

Patton

Paths of Glory

Big Red One

Pork Chop Hill

Battleground "I've found a home in the army"

• 2 years later...

I think I will stick with the 10 I posted back in '06:

1. Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

2. Apocalypse Now

3. M*A*S*H

4. The Deer Hunter

5. Gettysburg

6. Das Boot

7. The Best Years Of Our Lives

8. Paths Of Glory

9. From Here To Eternity

10. The Train

249914_10150194660924333_748014332_6684601_2874535_n.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Platoon and Dr. Strangelove share that honor for me.

I haven't exactly seen a ton of war movies I can remember thoroughly, though.

I really liked Born on the Fouth of July, as well as Saving Private Ryan, and Full Metal Jacket.

I haven't seen Apocalypse Now in its entirety, but I remember A Thin Red Line being way too artsy for me.

Tropic Thunder gets an HM.

biggrin.gif

Pearl Harbour was the most realistic and thrilling war movie I’ve ever seen. The full movie was interesting and I watch it with great pleasure.

The Japanese plane wasting its one bomb on a car and the planes darting between the buildings in downtown during dogfights removed any realism that movie had for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Another list to add to my original post;

Big Red One

Kelly's Heroes

Rough Riders

Cross of Iron

Band of Brothers

I just returned from a business trip to Luxembourg. While there I had the chance to visit the U.S. Military Cemetery that is the final resting place of about 5000 US WWII soldiers. Of the 5000 there were 5 members of the "Band of Brothers". One of the five was Skip Muck that was featured in the Band of Brothers series. I have watched the series numerous times and have read a lot of books about the men and the unit. I must admit, that when I saw Muck's grave I teared up. It was almost that I knew him through the series and the books. Patton is also buried there as well.

Quite the moving experience.

Less than a mile away is the German Military Cemetery.

I just returned from a business trip to Luxembourg. While there I had the chance to visit the U.S. Military Cemetery that is the final resting place of about 5000 US WWII soldiers. Of the 5000 there were 5 members of the "Band of Brothers". One of the five was Skip Muck that was featured in the Band of Brothers series. I have watched the series numerous times and have read a lot of books about the men and the unit. I must admit, that when I saw Muck's grave I teared up. It was almost that I knew him through the series and the books. Patton is also buried there as well.

Quite the moving experience.

Less than a mile away is the German Military Cemetery.

Great post. Thanks for telling about your experience.