Class 1-A All-State HS Football Teamn (East Texans Only)- (AP Sports Editors)

Smoaky

kid from Colmesneil makes all state and can't even make first team all district. Gunnels from Lovelady is the reason that Carlisle, Union Hill, and Grapeland were playing basketball early and was the defensive player of the year in their district and he is not even mentioned. These teams look good for the moms and dads but are not realistic in the best this region or state has to offer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckville had 5 kids that could have fell and could fall on any list anywhere......

that said Teneha, Joaquin, Carlisle all had kids that could have fell on any list anywhere.....

Unfortunately like Smoaky said earlier in this thread, this is not the best all-state team that comes out.

Being from Beckville I am very pleased to see TJ on the list, NICO Adams and Petey Westmoreland were just as deserving as anyone on any team, but when the people that pick these are lookings (stats, stats, stats,) TJ had em, over 1800 + yards in 10 games. and played 2 of those games just to the half, and 3 others didn't play past the 3rd

Alto I am proud of you in East Texas, but the guy that said the starters were pulled at the half, look at these stats and TJ was pulled at the half in a number of games,

STATS, STATS, STATS get this reward..........I would have rather had a state championship, as I am sure TJ would have ,,,,,,Yellowjackets have something no one can ever take away (da ring) congrats jackets, job well done....

Well because I am very disgusted with this I am not gonna run this down as far as the other teams go but

I cant believe that Alto, McCamey, Iola, Lovelady and Chilton Had nobody higher that honorable mention. These teams had many people on their teams that could start on Windthorst. Sorry but its true.

I am happy for Grapeland and I believe that they got placement that they deserved on here. Alto won State and was only had one real challenge. They had some people who should have been on here. It is funny also that Rex #10 from Iola was no where on the list. That is a rip on him. He is already headed to Baylor this January and Think he will do well. I am happy for the people who made it and congradulations to all the people who made the team.

as one post stated we got da ring.................and now we get the shaft..........................no one is hating on grapeland but come on u guys went 2 games deep and u had 4 players on the selection????? we go 14-0 744-58 with only 1 player on the list and hm at that. sorry sandidad that aint right and u know it. the reason u feel that everyone from alto is hating on grapeland is because there are 4 players on the list.........

Pokey. If you really read my post it says I AGREE that Alto not being better represented was ridiculuos!! I understand your pain as we have been there many times in the past.I will say that even though I totally agree you were messed over I still agree with who made it for us.As far as the Jouquin comment on Gunnels well I don't think you were at our last game because we shut him down on defense and actually had our best game of the year.Because of one players play that night our season ended but that player was from Grapeland not Lovelady.Sometimes accolades get in the way of being a team player.Anyway once again I agree I think it was a travesty for Alto to be passed up the way they were.I actually think that west Texas had WAY to many on the team especially on the 1st team,but oh well I am just a fan.Sandiedad

Everyone needs to remember that this is the same All-state team that last year had zero representation from East Texas. Big Sandy had no selections. Harleton had none. Joaquin-none... Overton- none..... The problem is that the AP organization doesn't handle it very well.

There deffinitely needs to be a sit down and reorganization of the minds that head this thing up. If they cannot get anymore structured than this then they need to just call it quits and give up on picking an AP Team. For this to be a state wide team pick, it is very poorly organized. Bottom line, DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!!!

I am sure every kid on the list "deserved" to be there for one reason or another. It is just a glaring mistake on the part of whoever is responsible for the selections that the State Champ team who pretty much dominated all the opposition had NO ONE on the first team, NO ONE on second team and 1 HM. Four of these kids will most likely be playing NCAA D1 ball next year. That is a 4A or 5A type of stat.

Can I send in a list of those who "deserved" to be on the list, but were ignored? It is a VERY broken system. Fix it or toss it out!

If you mean deserved is that his coach sent in and the others did not then yes he deserved it. If you mean he actually was that caliber of a player then you are sadly mistaken. Very few of the players that are on that team are of all state caliber. Alto, McCamey, Chilton, Iola, Lovelady all have better players and if you do not agree then how do you explain the fact that they were still playing football when these all state players were getting ready for bball.

I found this on another web site and haven't checked it out yet .... Sidney is 6-man????

If true, how incredibly ignorant can AP folks actually be? :rofl:

QUOTE: I found Sidney, they play 6-Man Division 2. Why would a 6-man team have two players selected on the 2nd team 1A all-state team. I don't think Sidney even played this season. In 2005 they had to forfeit 7 games due to not having enough players. Someone is pulling a fast one on these All-State listings. UNQUOTE

QUOTE:

Maybe because the are shown as members of District 16 on the UIL website for 2006-08 Football and 2007-07 Basketball District Alignment Conference 1A Division 2. Probably due to the fact that newspaper guys that have no clue get lists of nominees with stats and vote on something they know absolutely nothing about. I agree, it's pretty lame to have a couple of 6 man players on the 11 man 1A All State team UNQUOTE

:nuke:

It's not the players that we are making negative comments about it is the system, and the lack of judgement on someones part that the players who were obviously sent in because 1 of those players got hm were not considered as all state, even with their current record. There was a lack of something in the selection process, or just certain people were not even considered.

Thought this was interesting too. Why is the Alto head coach not on this list? His team did win the Class A - Div. I State Championship. The coaches from McCamey, Iola, and Wolfe City were all nominated and these were teams that Alto beat to win the state title. How are the coaches nominated for this award? :unsure:

THSF Class 1A Gordon Wood Award Semifinalists Announcement

By TexasHSFootball.com Staff

Release Date: December 4, 2006

As part of TexasHSFootball.com's 2006 Team Texas Awards, the Gordon Wood Award is an award that is for our Coach of The Year Award. The 2006 Team Texas Awards will be announced in early January.

The 2005 Gordon Wood Award winners were as followed:

Class 5A - Gerald Brence, Plano

Class 4A - Chad Morris, Stephenville

Class 3A - Lee Penland, Hutto

Class 2A - Danny Rogers, Blanco

Class 1A - Randy McDougald, Iola

Below are the semifinalist for the 2006 Gordon Wood Award for Class 1A. We would like to wish congratulations to all of the coaches listed below.

REGION I

Cory Barnes - Seagraves

Paul Chandler - Hale Center

Jay McWilliams - McCamey

Ricky Peacock - Nazareth

Brandon Smith - Wheeler

Chad Terry - Sundown

Joe Willis - Iraan

Bryan Wood - Sunray

REGION II

Cody Bounds - Lindsay

Danny David - Collinsville

Mike Franklin - Tolar

Bill Green - Windthorst

Chris Melson - Electra

Darrell Piske - Valley Mills

Steve Smith - Archer City

Wes Williams - Roscoe

REGION III

Rocky Baker - Price Carlisle

Buddy Blair - Union Hill

Josh Finney - Maud

Wayne Gandy - Joaquin

Jason Thibodeaux - Sabine Pass

Dale Trompler - Wolfe City

Gary Vanya - West Sabine

David Westfall - West Hardin

REGION IV

Steve Cerny - Shiner

Todd Doughty - Thorndale

Jerry Hambrick - Bremond

Robert Hernandez - Rocksprings

Stacey Hunt - Granger

Robert Little - Chilton

Randy McDougald - Iola

Greg Voyles - Brackettville

My guess concerning the coaches' nominations is very much in line with why Joe Torre never receives the manager of the year award in baseball. Simply put, the thinking is that the Yankees have so much money that they can buy the best team in baseball and win - and just about anyone can manage that team and win.

Same held true with Coach Gardner and Alto. Alto had a monster team in 2005 that had many players returning, plus they dropped from 2A to 1A, and were expected to run roughshod over Class 1A this year. Again the thinking was that anyone could coach that team and win.

I don't agree with that thinking, but I'll bet you my first born son that is the rationale used.

Coach Gardner's ommission from their list of finalists make no sense. The coaches from the other three finalists made the list. I don't agree with alot of the teams that THSF puts out. Like Alto we were picked to run roughshod over our opponents too. Maybe Alto just made it look too easy?!!! As Jerry jones once said Mickey Mouse could coach this team to a Superbowl!!!

I would have liked to have seen Willis and Green from Windthorsts stats for the "regular" season. I wouldn't have been surprised if Willis's stats were better!!! I know during the "regular" season he averaged 13+ yards per carry and 25+ yards per completion with near 70% completion percentage!! I also remember in one of the articles in the Tyler Paper that every play he was involved in resulted in a 17 yard per play!! Taking nothing away from Mr. Green, but I think his name may have had something to do with getting Offensive POTY.

Like I said, I would have liked to have seen the stats in comparison, if Green's are better, then I apologize, I just find it harder to believe any QB or any other offensive player in 1a had better #'s than these!!:thumbsup:

Also, #1 Mitchell, their was NOBODY that even came close to defending him 1-on-1 during the year or even in a double team! McCamey doubled him in the State game and he still caught 5 passes for nearly 100 yards!

I don't care what anybody says... in 15-20 years NO ONE will care or remember who made the all state team. But, EVERYONE will remember who won the STATE TITLE!!! These boys deserve the credit that no one seems to be giving to them. Even the town of Alto deserves credit of some kind with a season like they have had (14-0 w/ 10 shut-outs)! All season, everyone wanted to talk about how "we" would take Alto in a match-up and how "we" are "better" etc etc. And Chilton, had been underestimated all year. BOTH teams deserve it because they pulled together and played FOOTBALL. Who cares about who would win out of Alto and Chilton now!? It would never happen so why waste your time on that topic? Every coach and player from both teams could shut anyone up by just waving that huge GOLD STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RING at them. No one can take that away from them! Each team WON it FAIR and SQUARE so why just not congratulate them and quit being haters of champions! Please stop bashing these teams and let the players, coaches, and fans enjoy what they have worked HARD for. Like I say, the STATE CHAMPS are the only thing anyone is going to remember in years to come. Good day and God bless.

Yes, nobody should say anything negative about the players who made the all state team. But I must question the integrity of Head Coaches who nominate kids to the all state team when you aren't a winning team, get blown out all through district, and pad your stats. But furthermore, I also question the integrity of those who vote for these kids as well. Once again, nothing negative about the kids, but how about the ones that are deserving???