ZZ Top Facts

Straw

Jimi Hendrix named Billy Gibbons his favorite guitar player during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson.

ZZ's first two albums were recorded at Robin Hood Studios in Tyler, Texas. In 1973, they started recording at Ardent

Studios in Memphis. ( Cheapy and I grow up right around the corner from the studio in Tyler)

Punk icons Black Flag were great fans of ZZ Top. Get In The Van (singer Henry Rollins' tour diary from his stint in Black Flag) makes frequent mention of ZZ Top.

Billy Gibbons has often been referred to as The Reverend Willy G. In 2002, he made that title official and was ordained so he could perform a Dallas wedding.

In December 1984, Dusty Hill accidentally set off a derringer he kept in his boot and shot himself in the stomach. He fully recovered.

"La Grange" is a song about a brothel. The real name of the brothel is "Gracie's Chicken Farm". This brothel is also the subject of the film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas starring Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds.

The band appeared in the film Back to the Future Part III playing period (i.e. 1885) equivalents of their instruments. They performed a very "unplugged" version of "Doubleback"; the original version of the song (recorded with their customary modern instruments, of course) played over the closing credits of the film.

The inside sleeve of the album Fandango, features an overhead shot of U.T. Memorial Stadium, taken Sept. 1, 1974, where ZZ Top headlined that evening to a crowd of 80,000 at what was billed as "ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' and Stompin' Barndance and Barbecue".

ZZ Top is a sponsor of the Delta Blues Museum.

In a 1984 episode of Saturday Night Live, Father Guido Sarducci "nominated" ZZ Top for the Democratic presidential primary. In a national phone-in poll conducted during the broadcast, the band won by a significant margin.

In the Simpsons episode The City of New York Vs. Homer Simpson , Bart sees a pair of presumably Hasidic rabbis on the streets of New York and shouts, "Look, it's ZZ Top! You guys rock!".

In keeping with the tejano flavor of the band, Billy Gibbons uses a peso instead of a guitar pick. It is rumored that the peso helps produce the distinctive chirping sound prominent on "La Grange" and other songs, but this sound can be achieved without it (the technique is known as a 'pinch harmonic'). Gibbons is often credited as inventing this sound, but there are earlier recordings of it (for instance by Leslie West on his first album).

In an interview with BBC TV's Later with Jools Holland, when asked the band's greatest influence, greatest inspiration etc. Billy Gibbons answered every question by pointing at Bo Diddley.

ZZ Top did a commercial for Honda in Japan for the (almost coincidental) car, the Honda Z.

On December 20, 2005 Billy Gibbons appeared on the Fox TV show Bones, appearing as the father of character Angela Montenegro (played by Michaela Conlin).

On 1 February 2006, Billy Gibbons appeared on the CBS TV show Yes, Dear, appearing as a guest star, who takes the table in a restaurant which the family is waiting for.

The trio's song "Gimme All Your Lovin'" was used in the 1994 hit film The Santa Clause.

The trio's song "Gimme All Your Lovin'" was used in the comedy Beverly Hills Ninja.

The song "La Grange" features in the Michael Bay film Armageddon, the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys, and a modified version appears in the 2004 remake of Walking Tall.

Ironically, Frank Beard is the only member of the band without a full beard, only a mustache. He did, however, sport a tidy beard in early 2001 - 2003.

The song "Velcro Fly" was mentioned in the book The Waste Lands by Stephen King, which is a part of the popular The Dark Tower series.

"La Grange" was featured in the 2000 action-comedy, Shanghai Noon.

"La Grange" was also used in the 1996 film Striptease starring Demi Moore.

The band has the distinction of being the hard rock band with the most singles to reach the Hot Dance Music/Club Play, with three. "Legs", "Sleeping Bag", and "Velcro Fly" are the singles that reached this chart.

The song "Tush" is featured in the 2000 film The Perfect Storm, at the start of the Andrea Gail's final fishing trip.

The song "Tush" is also in the 1993 film Dazed And Confused.

"Tush" was also used in the 1982 film An Officer and A Gentleman starring Richard Gere and Debra Winger.

"Tush" was also used in the 1996 popular comedy film Sgt. Bilko.

Billy Gibbons collaborated with the Queens Of The Stone Age for their 2005 album, Lullabyes To Paralyze. He also appears in their video for Burn the Witch.

The band did an appearance at the end of W.A.S.P.´s video for the song "Blind In Texas", from their album "The Last Command" (1985). In this video, the ZZ Top guys tell the W.A.S.P. boys which way they must go.

The 1985 film "American Flyers" featured the song "Dirty Dog" from Eliminator.

The 1986 John Cusack/Demi Moore comedy "One Crazy Summer" also featured "Dirty Dog" from Eliminator.

Jon Glaser does a comedic routine on the Invite Them Up CD/DVD about his dead father being a former member of ZZ Top.

In the 1998, Alan Ayckbourn play "Comic Potential" the characters Adam and Jacie dance to "My Head's In Mississippi." The play is set in the future and Adam, who has never heard of the group, calls them "Zed Zed Top" (using the British pronunciation of 'Z') when he comes across an old CD of theirs.

The song La Grange was featured as the title track in the pinball machine, "The Getaway".

I'm not a big ZZ Top fan, but you left out that their first recording was at Robin Hood Studios, yes here in Tyler, Texas.

Jimi Hendrix gave "The Pink Lady" to Billy Gibbons.

Jimi, Frank, and Billy are all sagittaurius, not that we buy into that bull hockey.

A fan of classic rock.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by DaveTV1

I'm not a big ZZ Top fan, but you left out that their first recording was at Robin Hood Studios, yes here in Tyler, Texas.

Jimi Hendrix gave "The Pink Lady" to Billy Gibbons.

Jimi, Frank, and Billy are all sagittaurius, not that we buy into that bull hockey.

A fan of classic rock.

Check again Dave. Second factoid on the list. "ZZ's first two albums were recorded at Robin Hood Studios in Tyler, Texas. In 1973, they started recording at Ardent

Studios in Memphis. "

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Funny you should post that. I thought the same. Did a quick bio check and read he was born in Dallas. However, I have heard of celebrities claiming the closest big city as their hometown.

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24

Funny you should post that. I thought the same. Did a quick bio check and read he was born in Dallas. However, I have heard of celebrities claiming the closest big city as their hometown.

Don Henley didn't, he was born in Gilmer. What I thought was unique was Lamar Hunt spent his very early years in Tyler, but was born in Arkansas. But, I understand how people felt familiar with doctors back in that time.

Still a James Gang fan over Linda Rondstadt's back-up band. I'll even take "Boz" Skaggs backup band Toto over The Eagles.

late