Will Minimum Wage Increase Help Big Business?

PHSVOICE

Saw this in an article at Economist.com:

.....CEO's who support higher minimum wages are not, as the media often casts them, renegade heroes speaking truth to power because their inner moral voice bids them be silent no more. They are by and large, like Mr Sinegal, the heads of companies that pay well above the minimum wage. Forcing up the labour costs of their competitors, while simultaneously collecting good PR for "daring" to support a higher minimum, is a terrific business move. But it is not altruistic, nor does it make him a "maverick". Costco's biggest competitor, Wal-Mart, also supports a higher minimum wage, and for the same reason. Wal-Mart's average wage is already above the new minimum; it will cost the company little, while possibly forcing mom-and-pop stores that compete with Wal-Mart out of business. This seems blindingly obvious to me. Though I don't expect we'll see "the minimum wage—it's great for Wal-Mart!" in many Democratic campaign commercials......

Here's the full article:

http://www.economist.com/debate/freeexchan...ery_much_as.cfm

I've not heard this argument before, but it would be ironic for the Democratic majority to be on record as opposing Wal-Mart and its practices, yet, by raising the minimum wage they might actually be helping the company they love to hate.

Ain't nothin' as simple as it seems.

That's funny, it's seemed like a snowball since 9/11 with the Republicans in control. Granted, they've had some heavy help from the rest of the globalist sell outs who happen to be Democrats.

As for the topic: That's a very neat observation. Makes sense, and makes me shake my head...

Can't imagine what Gore and the democrats' reaction to 9/11 would have been. :ugh:

As far as the minimum wage increase I still think the middle class loses disposable income with it. May be good for big business and possibly MW earners but not middle class America.

By responding to this thread, do I violate my word for not responding to an earlier thread about this subject ?

BlackandGold, I don't know many people that make minimum wage. I honestly, don't see how anyone can work for the current minimum wage. I've stated before, I don't have a problem with a "training wage". But, that's what the minimum wage is. CEO's and even those that have been lower on the totem pole, know you can't bring in skilled or trainable employees, hiring a person in at that level.

The only way that you can do it is unethical or illegal. I've stated this before. (sarcasm) But, I'm on drugs, I don't know anything about the cost of living or inflation, I wear rose colored glasses, and sandals. What else, do I do ?

I can only say that, if you're employees aren't receiving a wage, that will pay their rent, gas, electric, water, phone,car payment, gas for the car, food, etc. they're not going to last long, working for you.

I could go on and say, that as human beings, all we need is air, food, water, and lodging. It's true, that's all you need to survive. I'll agree, we don't need TV, phones, vacations, days off, electricity, music, cars, art, books, jewelry, sports, newspapers, taxes, roads, medicine, or many comforts of life.

I understand, that those are things that help us enjoy life. I don't know if I could enjoy life, without vacations, days off, electricity, sports, music, cars, books, newspapers, or roads. I could make my own music, build a fire, write my own novels on the bark of trees, traverse the land, invent my own games, and live like a hermit.

I could live off the land, and be like Henry David Thoreau, John Muir, Sir Robert Baden-Powell, but even they have shown a desire to be a part of the Human Race.

Is it wrong to be charitable ? Or is it the right and just thing to do, to see inadequacies in a person, and pay them less than you would work for at a minimum ? I'm trying to think of the worst job possible, that I would work minimum wage for, and I can't think of one. If I could have my dream job, it wouldn't be for minimum wage.

If you want someone to drive off your customers, guests, clients, partners, pay someone minimum wage. If you don't think it's happening in you're business, you're mistaken. If you think hiring an illegal alien or someone "under the table" to accomplish tasks, that you need them to perform at minimum wage, the benefits outweigh the risks.

There is a living wage, and there is a minimum wage. The minimum has never met the living wage.

Hopefully, ya'll can understand what I've said. If not, please look up some of the references that I've given, and learn.

Late

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by DaveTV1

If you want someone to drive off your customers, guests, clients, partners, pay someone minimum wage. If you don't think it's happening in you're business, you're mistaken.

What, no blind peanut vendor to tug at our heartstrings?

Don't know if you noticed or not Dave-O, but this isn't a debate on minimum wage. The thread topic is a question as to whether or not increasing it will help big business. The article included in the original post says it will.

Dave I would bet most of the people you know have either earned an education and don't work MW jobs or they started at the bottom and have worked their way upward to more responsibility and higher wages. Is that about right?

This is the basic issue, for me, would you rather have people sit around and wait for the government to mandate them a raise or would you like to see people take the initiative and try to better themselves without the help of the government? I would rather see the latter, I have not worked a MW job since I was 20 or so, I have earned higher wages thru education and job advancement or changing to a better job, that is how it should be done, that is just my opinion.

To stay on topic, again I am sure this could help big business, a MW increase only hurts middle class and small business.

Originally posted by BlackandGoldRebel

Dave I would bet most of the people you know have either earned an education and don't work MW jobs or they started at the bottom and have worked their way upward to more responsibility and higher wages. Is that about right?

This is the basic issue, for me, would you rather have people sit around and wait for the government to mandate them a raise or would you like to see people take the initiative and try to better themselves without the help of the government? I would rather see the latter, I have not worked a MW job since I was 20 or so, I have earned higher wages thru education and job advancement or changing to a better job, that is how it should be done, that is just my opinion.

To stay on topic, again I am sure this could help big business, a MW increase only hurts middle class and small business.

You are correct on your question. About the only people, I know o that make minimum wage are in High School.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph. However, when many small business owners are reluctant to change. That's when the government steps in and makes them change.

The only way that I think it will hurt the small business owner, is if they don't already have a plan or goal, to increase their business. This is going to have to be accomplished for them to provide better pay and conditions for their employees.

Most Big Business, won't be affected by the change, because they're already there. As the article you brought, stated. Wal-Mart doesn't pay that great, I know people that work their and their managers manage employees hours, and they have some good benefits. I would never work there, even when I was younger. In a way, I miss the old Treasure City, Gibsons, TG&Y, M.E. Moses .05 and .10, but they didn't market themselves the way Wal-Mart has.

They way I see it, if you're going to compete with the steamrollers, you have to make changes to attract consumers. No one says anything about Home Depot or Lowes ruining the good old fashioned hardware store. Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, or Academy taking out sporting goods stores. I used to like The Sportster and East Texas Sporting Goods, is Roach's or Raquet and Jog next ?

There are reasons why consumers shop at those locations, selection, employee knowledge, cleanliness, friendliness, and price. Home Depot pays their employees higher than the proposed minimum, yet they are still able to provide lower prices, due to the insight to cut deals with the manufacturers. IKEA is doing the same thing.

its just my opinion but If minimum wage is increased, many products sold, say at Brookshires for example will go up to cover the cost of paying their part-time employees and anyone else who works at that pay level, either that or people are going to be getting fewer hours or at low income businesses people may get laid off due to the increase in mw. So even if mw is increased the prices that we have now will go up in the same proportion which won't solve really anything because the extra money they might obtain will go just as far or shorter than it did when the mw is at its current level.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by metalmaniac18

its just my opinion but If minimum wage is increased, many products sold, say at Brookshires for example will go up to cover the cost of paying their part-time employees and anyone else who works at that pay level, either that or people are going to be getting fewer hours or at low income businesses people may get laid off due to the increase in mw. So even if mw is increased the prices that we have now will go up in the same proportion which won't solve really anything because the extra money they might obtain will go just as far or shorter than it did when the mw is at its current level.

metal, looks like you have a pretty firm grasp on the reality of economics, vis a vis, minimum wage.

Originally posted by BoBellCrew
Originally posted by BlackandGoldRebel

Can't imagine what Gore and the democrats' reaction to 9/11 would have been. :ugh:

We would have sent the terrorists a basket full of muffins, of course. :wacko:

About time one of you guys finally admitted it.....:whome:

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Hey Dave-O, I meant to ask you. You said businesses would lose customers if they paid MW. How will they know?

Originally posted by Mr.Linebacker

So Dave, if I read you right, an increase in the minimum wage is just a feel good measure! I guess that's why the dems are pushing it so hard. If it feels good do it! It just feels to me like someone else is going to put their hands in my pockets.:P

It's not going to affect the Big or even small businesses that are already paying a better wage to their employees. I'll admit prices are going to rise .50 for a hamburger, or .15 for a loaf of bread, you may pay an extra $2 or $5 for a shirt. Are you really proud, that you're like the McDonalds commercial, and you're a $1 guy ?

The only industries that I know that pay a minimum wage are fast food and some retail stores. Brookshire's already pays over the minimum, unless it's a kid in high school.

I don't see why anyone's really upset, unless 1) they think minimum wage ,is the standard, which it's not or 2) They're a small business owner who is stuck in a rut, and doesn't know how to make their business more consumer friendly.

The cost of living in Tyler, isn't cheaper than living in Dallas. That is a major misconception. Perhaps living in California or New York City or Tokyo it is.

By paying minimum wage, you're expecting your employee to be a minimum employee. There has to be the proverbial carrot before the horse, to get them to work harder, to make them strive, to get them to educate themselves. Otherwise you're going to have a guest relations, customer representative, that doesn't care.

We've all heard them all "Yeah, I think it's over there", "Hmmm, I don't know, it might be on the next aisle", "You're just looking, okay". " "We don't have that available here". "That's the way it's done around here". There's no incentive to a an employee like that, it's a dead end job, and they know it.

We don't hear "How may I be of service"?, or "I know just what your looking for." or even "I just started, but give me a second, and I'll find what you're looking for". or "We can do that for you". I'll even take a "We don't have that product available, but I know where you can find it."

That's happened to me with auto parts, and where did I return, to the business that had the auto part or the one that informed me where I could find it ? I went back to the business that had the knowledge, even if it cost me a few dollars more. They saved me time, and aggravation, of trying to find the part I needed. They may have had what I needed the second time, if not I knew that they would provide me with the service and customer care, that I was looking for.

Here's your feel good/warm fuzzy feeling, Paul Harvey moment for the day:

I'll continue to do business with people, who have the knowledge of what I'm looking for, and if they don't have it, direct me where I can find the goods and services, that I need. I don't want to hear, "We don't have it, but we can get it for you next week".

I used to do alot of business with Goolsby Tires over Bill Day Tires. I don't know if either exists, anymore. Goolsby, could tell me the day, and the location of the tires that I needed. I went to Bill Day, and they said we can have the set of tires you need in about a week, and they were upmarked $20 over Goolsby. I took my business to Goolsby, this was back in 1999. Both told me what I needed to know. But, Goolsby informed me of a quicker time and a cheaper price. Which is what consumers are looking for.

Dave-O:

Your answer is only partially correct! Instead of stating "which is what the consumers are looking for", you should be asking "what are consumers looking for". And the answer is "yes"!!!!

"The consumers" is not a monoliith. There are many faces. Some want quick! Some want cheap! Some want service! Some want info! That's why "the market" will suppoprt different types of providers - some more than others.

It is ridiculous to criticize Wal-Mart - the whipping boy of the left. If the market, i.e. consumers didn't support, it would dry up and blow away. If mom and pop provider dries up and blow away, it's because the market has spoken.