Girls Golf

Life16

There are some pretty good teams in East Texas, but there are also some fairly desent individuals too.

There is a girl from Robert E. Lee that shoots high 60's low 70's upon average from what i have seen.

Jacksonville won't be near as good as they have been. They lost their coach and their top 3 players.

The girl from Henderson, kelli kersh, is pretty good.

i don't know about anybody else.

Sepmoree (not sure about spelling) from Lee is hot! Also Kirkpatrick from Golden, Kipp from Lee and Rosebury from Bullard. I realize all these girls aren't in the same district, but they all played with and against one another during the summer and they are all good.

Good luck to all the girls playing tomorrow at Oakhurst. I hope the weather is good and that ya'll get in 18. I think the boys got rained out after 9 today.

Any one know what scores posted for the boys?

I looked in the paper today and they weren't posted there. I know that Sepmoree, Kipp, Kirkpatrick all placed. 1st - 3rd and not necessarily in that order. Rosebury took 4th. She was 1 over at the turn and then couldn't putt the back nine. Shame to finish so badly after such a good front. I hope she'll be ready at Hide away.

Does anyone know which schools will be at Lindale Monday?

Why doesn't the teams have monitors to follow them when they are competing. It was amazing to me that the last time I went to a girls playoff match there was a dramatic difference in their regular season and post season scores. I didn't realize it was so easy to shave points in highschool golf????? Some of the girls don't even want to tell on their opponent for fear of being declared a snitch....

I think you can contribute the changes in most scores to the game of golf. The competition during play offs makes the atmosphere more tense. Usually during district games they do have monitors that keep up with everyone. That probably adds to the tense atmosphere as well. That being said though, there will always be those that try to cheat.

Our girls are taught to say "you got 5 on the last hole?" That does help stifle an opportunity for someone to cheat. Once someone says that they got 4 then a stance has to be taken. My child doesn't hesitate to recount shots with the other person to find the correct score. And often it's just an honest mistake.

Usually the better players keep close tabs on their opponents strokes. And, all in all, the best players usually end up winning district, regional and state play offs.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, but when you have monitors you have other coaches - most likely, maybe teachers - that have to take off from campus to attend the tournament. Not that most would mind, but then the school has to pay for substitutes to take their place. It's just not feasible to do this every tournament.

Believe me, the better players do eventually prevail. I can remember getting upset about this when my child first started. But as her scores got better and she began playing with the better players didn't run into this scenario that often. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the golfers have to learn to keep one another in check. After all it is suppose to be a game of integrity. :saint:

It doesn't really matter. It is a game of integrity and should be played that way. The kids need to learn that they should "monitor" their own group. The tournaments they play are in preparation for District and Regional, etc, where they will have monitors. They only are hurting themselves if they don't learn how to keep their opponent's score and verify it out on each hole before leaving the green side.

I do not keep up much with girls HS golf, but have been closely associated with Jr. Golf for a long time. I know it would be a whip to monitor them......88.....98....81.....106..122...not enough room on the card! I have talked to coaches who are monitoring them and just roll their eyes when I'd ask how's your group doing. In class 3A and down you are fortunate to have a girl that can break 85 on a consistent basis...and heaven forbid if you have one that can shoot in the 70s, she is a lock to play at the next level (if she has any kind of academics).

I couldn't monitor a girls foursome and tip my hat to those that do! :whome:

well yesterday teams played at 27 holes 18 at alpine golf course, then went across the street and played 9 of the par three holes. i was a beautiful day for a change.

Spring Hill - Leslie took home first place medalist with 115 (85+30)

Henderson - Kelli Kersh took home second with 118 (84+34)

Sping Hill - Lacy. . .took home third place with 120 (86+34) i think. . .

It was a long day!!!