Why?

Texashurdler

I have been wondering...why do meets not get finished? I went to Kerens tonight...horribly ran meet...took forever...and they were forced to scrap the mile and the 4x400...but just because there was atleast 15 minutes between the starts of most races...it was bad...but why cant they get it done? Usually about 2 meets a year that are forced to do this that i attend...i just wish that they had their stuff together...what do they say for the kids that only run the 1600...or the 4x400m? well they waited in the cold and didnt get to run...hmmm....

After all the many meets i've been to i have been fortunate enough that i've never ran at a meet where that happened. But i have heard of that happening at meets before and i wonder the same thing as you Texashurdler. It just seems ridiculous some times.

Originally posted by wildbill

It's called ORGANIZATION. You have to have it in order to run a successful meet. Kerens meet used to not be that way.

Along this line, went to White Oak last night - 18 teams there - Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls and was DONE by 9:15. Had to wait maybe 5 minutes for packets. I realize that this was varsity only - but still, with 18 teams, that's like having 10 teams Boys and Girls JV and Varsity. LOVE going to White Oak -- they have great competition, they don't waste your time, and they feed you some really, REALLY good sausage and beans. Great early-season meet ----

Same thing happened at hallsville's jr. high meet. The program said they would start the running at 4:30 and they didn't start till 6:45. Did not get to run the 1600 meter run and the 1600 meter relay. This is frustrating! If it were a football game the coaches would find a way to get-r-dun.

I'll second Jab's motion on the efficiency of the White Oak meet. For a meet that had as many as six heats in some events, we got out of there in good shape. Coach Brown was really hustling runners up to the starting line as soon as the previous event was over.

Bratwurst and tortillas!

Fortunately, I've never had the experience of a meet where the 1600 and 4X4 relay were not run. As the father of a 1600 runner I would be seriously hacked at that. And since he also runs the 3200, it would be a long wait for nothing.

Originally posted by wildbill

It's called ORGANIZATION. You have to have it in order to run a successful meet. Kerens meet used to not be that way.

I am guessing you arent with Kerens anymore coach? And if you are I wouldnt think it was your doing? I am just glad i didnt have to run in this one

Originally posted by HankTheCowDog

And since he also runs the 3200, it would be a long wait for nothing.

My point exactly...i am a very busy guy...i mean very busy. I work 45-50 hours a week and when i take some of my off time to go watch my old team mates and they dont even get to run the races i went to see...it is pathetic...something needs to be done in Kerens...Same thing happened in Westwood 2 years ago...they need to be organized for sure...but by the time they got it down it was already 9:15 and no time to finish most of the meet, sad...but hopefully it will change

White Oak has always had a good meet. When I coached at Gilmer we always enjoyed this meet.

My daughter ran at Hallsville and won the 2400 and we sat and waited for six hours to run the 1600 and the 1600 relay only to be told after the 200 the meet was over. Something needs to be done. This could have been avoided.

It's a UIL thing I think...something about the final race of the night can't start after 10PM. So, the meet has to end wherever they may be in the order of events if the time constraints catch up with them.

Someone might want to double check me on it but if I'm not right, I'm close.

And, you are right, a well run track meet never has problems finishing in time. Pine Tree is NOT on that list. You'd think they'd get the hang of it after hosting so many years. Yes, White Oak does a great job! Rusk hosts a great meet every year as well!

I think the meet at Pine Tree was over at 9:30 this year. Everyone knows that it is a uil rule that you can't start an event after 10:00, why not prepare for this. If you say you are going to start a race at a certain time do it! If a school is not ready then tough luck, but don't punish everyone else for being where they are supposed to be.

tortuga13....that is amazing...it's probably due to the fact that PT lessened the number of schools participating...and maybe they learned how to run a race without a 10-15 minute wait between events to get the runners organized. It was so bad last year we started timing the breaks just to see if we were exaggerating...we weren't...the last 2-3 events were not run that night....glad to know they have it figured out because they have good facilities and are centrally located.

Originally posted by Quackerjack

It's a UIL thing I think...something about the final race of the night can't start after 10PM. So, the meet has to end wherever they may be in the order of events if the time constraints catch up with them.

Someone might want to double check me on it but if I'm not right, I'm close.

And, you are right, a well run track meet never has problems finishing in time. Pine Tree is NOT on that list. You'd think they'd get the hang of it after hosting so many years. Yes, White Oak does a great job! Rusk hosts a great meet every year as well!

UIL has this rule in there for good reason. Granted there should be exceptions for it...but oh well. I dont see why schools cant get it together though. There is NO limit on how late a Friday night meet can run over. If a school is hosting a meet with more than about 12-15 teams then it should be controled and atleast ran on Friday...I ran a meet in Mabank my freshman year....there were around like 30 teams or something crazy...jv-varsity....we didnt get home till after 3 am. But atleast we got to finish the meet that night. lol. Granted most athletes just wanted to go home by that point.

No meet Monday -Thursday can start an event after 10pm

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/manual...5track_regs.pdf

As someone who "announces" at track meets (I'll do 5 this year), some meets take so long due to a some poor organization, an event field event that is very competitive.

Mostly I think the schools get to many teams to help offset the costs.