Mineola Baseball

Broker2205

Originally posted by DirksCrew

Track progams do not hurt other sports at all. Track programs help every sport improve in speed,physcial conditioning, and mental toughness. If i'm not mistaken i think those are 3 pretty important things in every sport. The reason kids wont to complain about track hurting them in baseball is because track is demanding and many kids these days wont the easy way out. Thats the bottom line. If you make excuses that track takes away from any other sport then you have no idea what it takes to ever become a great athlete.

No doubt. Can not argue that point. That is why we don't start baseball until 4:30 so that our kids can do both. No one can argue against strength and speed development for athletes. However, when a kid is forced to go through a track workout on a game day and ends up in a bucket of ice and misses baseball games it does hurt the kid and the team. If it was so beneficial to the athletes, why don't we run track workouts and lift weights on Friday mornings in the fall. Don't everyone flame me for this. We lift the baseball team on game days. Then we hit once the lifting is done. That however was left up to me. No one forced it on us. If I think it is hurting us when district comes around, we won't lift on game day. I will bring them up on saturdays to get the weights in. There are always alternatives to get the work done.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont do anything the morning of a track meet? Most places do, I think. Be it starts or marks of some kind. I can see not lifting the pitchers and certainly not maxing. Saturday is an alternative. It is unfortunate the kid got hurt, but it could have happened in the batting cage as well. I am sure there is an art to sharing athletes in the spring. I just bet the track coach would be on here complaining if he hit one off his ankle in pregame and could not run. Once again, the great thing about a small school is letting the athletes participate in as many sports or UIL events as possible.

exactly right. I think this really isnt to much about a kid getting hurt cause injuries are never a desire for anyone and they can happen at any time whether the kid is hurt it the day before the game or he is getting out of his car on the same day. Injuries are part of the game no matter how you twist it. The negative outlooks on working out on a game day simply come down to preferences of whether you think a kid can recover for a game later that day and I dont know any kids that couldnt recover from a track workout in time to play the game that evening. Many schools work out there kids on game days and even more then that use to. i know we did growing up and many of yall did too.

Ok, it was my understanding that Crenshaw does not participate in track but was still required to go through the workout. The track coach would not have to be on here complaining if he hit one off his ankle because he does not participate in track. Am I correct Chip?

I can't believe what I am reading on this post. Lifting weights on game day is absolutely NUTS. I've never been around a football program that lifts on Friday's during their athletic period. But, I guess it's ok to lift on game days in all the other sports? Personally I'd rather have the period to cover 1st and 3rds, or get in pick offs and run downs to save time for other stuff in the after school workout. You can never over work the situations. Because when you get three rounds deep all of that time you spent working on those little things is precious. BUT, off of the soap box and back onto the Crenshaw kid. It's really unfortunate that had to happen to him. Maybe his AD will wake up and realize that if he wants to build a program there, he needs to help the only thing going for the entire program which is baseball.

Originally posted by Broker2205

I can't believe what I am reading on this post. Lifting weights on game day is absolutely NUTS. I've never been around a football program that lifts on Friday's during their athletic period. But, I guess it's ok to lift on game days in all the other sports? Personally I'd rather have the period to cover 1st and 3rds, or get in pick offs and run downs to save time for other stuff in the after school workout. You can never over work the situations. Because when you get three rounds deep all of that time you spent working on those little things is precious. BUT, off of the soap box and back onto the Crenshaw kid. It's really unfortunate that had to happen to him. Maybe his AD will wake up and realize that if he wants to build a program there, he needs to help the only thing going for the entire program which is baseball.

Most schools don't lift on friday during football season b/c it is such a physically demanding game. Baseball is not physically demanding- outside of the pitcher and catcher.

"I am a baseball player, not an athlete"-- John Kruk on being asked how he could smoke since he was an athlete

Orange80, absolutely no clue. Have you ever stepped on a baseball field? If you have... then you would know that you can't lift weights on game day and produce at a maximum level. Baseball offseason in a 3A Dirks, absolutely... what else is there to do if your not playing basketball? Let me guess????? Gearing up for football season?? What a joke.

Originally posted by vandallove

no because it when ur doin 5 sets of 5 and then u try and go play 7 innings u will be sore and hurtin just try it and see how much u can do its pretty stupid to make them workout they should be in baseball offseason anyways

We did it, and still managed to win most of our baseball games when I was in school.....

Originally posted by Colmesneilfan1
Originally posted by vandallove

no because it when ur doin 5 sets of 5 and then u try and go play 7 innings u will be sore and hurtin just try it and see how much u can do its pretty stupid to make them workout they should be in baseball offseason anyways

We did it, and still managed to win most of our baseball games when I was in school.....

well i just dont think its right cause it usually the A.D. who does it cause he is the football coach and the baseballl coach doesnt take the kids out of football practice to go practice on thier swing now does he

track and baseball at same time is hard. track takes away from baseball practice. we all know that without hitting and fielding practice u are not going to get better.it takes alot of time to get your infield and outfield good .i guess no one thought about this.best teams that i have saw practiced hard .just want the jackets to have a honest shot.

Originally posted by chiphilton

Same story, different spring. Can't lift weights on game day and produce? So for 7 months out of the year pro baseball players dont lift weights? They lift between at bats on occasion. I think you are the one that needs to get a clue here Broker.

No one lifts between at bats. That is a lie.

Originally posted by Broker2205

Orange80, absolutely no clue. Have you ever stepped on a baseball field? If you have... then you would know that you can't lift weights on game day and produce at a maximum level. Baseball offseason in a 3A Dirks, absolutely... what else is there to do if your not playing basketball? Let me guess????? Gearing up for football season?? What a joke.

We were in the playoffs ever year I played and I won my share of accolades in football and baseball- so yes I have played. No reason to get upset just because you disagree with me. Pitchers and catchers were always exempt.

Also, you live in Texas so of course now is the time to be gearing up for football season- right now is when games are won and lost. Either move to a 4 or 5A school where they can afford to specialize, move to another state, or deal with the fact that football is king in Texas, always has been, and always will be.

Originally posted by DirksCrew

your muscles recover partner. A kids 3 cuts at the plate wont be effected by his bench press he did 7 hours before that. I assure you the player will be ok.

bahahahaha...you can't be serious?...i would seriously like to meet one person that can fully recover from a TRUE offseason workout in 7 hours...that's hilarious...when i was in high school we had lunch right after athletic period and i barely had the strength to lift my food into my mouth...much less recover in time for a ballgame later that night

All 4 years of my highschool career we had baseball off-season.. If you didn't play football we would have it during the athletic period. We had a schedule where we would Run, Lift, Throw long toss, take ground balls, and hit in the cage all during the week from the beginning of school till school was out.. and none of our players Ran or Touched a weight during game day.

I know football is supposedly king and all, but if you football coaches are putting your kids through an offseason workout that has no effect on a baseball players performance on the same day, you might want to re-think those Jane Fonda workouts your football team is going through.

Take squats for example, do you not think a strength building squat session would have any effect on a kid stealing a base, getting a good jump on a fly ball, charging from 3rd. on a bunt, later that same day. Either it will, or your player tanked his workout. I'm not saying the kid won't be able to walk, but if you think it has NO effect on baseball performance your just blinded by the pigskin.